John Deere PK-03 Offset - setting tongue pressure?

/ John Deere PK-03 Offset - setting tongue pressure? #1  

Cw733

Tractor
New Holland Powerstar 100
I have an old PK-03 that has been almost completely rebuilt, but I'm not sure what is going on with the lift spring on the tongue. I broke the original spring and have replaced it ($600 bucks yay!). At some point, someone has added a tab with a new hole to the front of the piece attached to the axle that pushes the parallel bar/spring as the wheels lower and raise. This was done because the original holes just won't work, they end up being too far rearward for the tongue to work correctly. I'm beginning to think that someone has replaced or shortened the parallel bar and added this tab to compensate.

Hoping you guys can answer a couple questions:

1) Can anyone with a PK-03 give me a measurement on the parallel bar between the hole that attached to the spring and any of the 3 holes that attach to the axle? Trying to verify mine has not been shortened. The parallel bar is the square tubing on top of the discs running between the flat spring on the tongue and the axle.

2) How do you guys set the parallel bar/spring on an offset like this? If I set the parallel bar so that the disc is level when raised, then the tongue has a lot of down pressure (pressure on front gang) when the disc is completely lowered to the ground. Is that right?