John Deere Power Reverser won't Start

/ John Deere Power Reverser won't Start #1  

helpfulbook

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 4700 Woods Backhoe 750, 460 Loader, Woodmaxx SB-72
Hi Guys! My JD 4700/power reverser lever has to be exactly in the right position in order for the tractor to start.
It has some play so I generally have to wiggle the lever a bit to get it to start.
Today I can not find the right spot at all. I looked for the safety switch attached to the lever but I do not know where it is.
Can anyone give me some advice?

Thank you!

/ John Deere Power Reverser won't Start
Hi Guys! My JD 4700/power reverser lever has to be exactly in the right position in order for the tractor to start.
It has some play so I generally have to wiggle the lever a bit to get it to start.
Today I can not find the right spot at all. I looked for the safety switch attached to the lever but I do not know where it is.
Can anyone give me some advice?

Thank you!
Ok, I finally found the spot and it started. By moving the forward or reverse lever in neutral, back and forth.
I read somewhere that the linkage could be out of adjustment. Is that possible? And where can I find the linkage to adjust it?

/ John Deere Power Reverser won't Start #3  
Service tech manual for 4700 has this page for location of the neutral safety switches, and maybe can help you locate yours.

From jd parts, shows the neutral switch kit and part no.

Attachments

• 4700_neutral_switch.jpg
    4700_neutral_switch.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 221
  • 4700_neutral_switch_part.jpg
    4700_neutral_switch_part.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
   / John Deere Power Reverser won't Start #4  
Power Circuit.jpg

/ John Deere Power Reverser won't Start #5  
I posted the schematic page here, in case that helps......

/ John Deere Power Reverser won't Start #6  
   / John Deere Power Reverser won't Start #7  
I have a 4700 too, most likely its the fuel pump solenoid. Take the solenoid off and clean it. Think about replacing it, it is a $30 part

Al

I'm curious, how do you come up with this "most likely" conclusion?

Are you thinking there is a correlation between the OP having trouble finding neutral position for start clearance and the fuel pump solenoid?

/ John Deere Power Reverser won't Start #8  
Service tech manual for 4700 has this page for location of the neutral safety switches, and maybe can help you locate yours.

From jd parts, shows the neutral switch kit and part no.
Does the Service/Tech Manual say if the neutral switch is adjustable? As in add or remove shims? If not, I would check the connection. If that's OK, replace the neutral start switch.

/ John Deere Power Reverser won't Start #9  
Service/tech manual says nothing (near as I could find) on any adjustment. And I looked pretty hard because I thought there would be something, especially if an adjustment might be needed.
Don't know if something internal needs to be "in position" to detect its location.. might be possible to check that out after removal of the switch.
Also, if removed, might be able to check if it is functional too.

Last edited:
   / John Deere Power Reverser won't Start #10  
As in add or remove shims? If not, I would check the connection. If that's OK, replace the neutral start switch.
Ditto on removing washer on neutral start switch or possibly replace switch