John Deere Proprietary Belts?

/ John Deere Proprietary Belts?
Hmmm....interesting....the specs say that the belt is a 35 degree one. :rolleyes:
The specs I found said 40.

I think some people are not getting it. It's not just one belt. This thing is full of bad engineering and expensive parts. For example, no one should ever make a hydraulic cylinder which is welded shut on both ends, while charging way more for the part than a correctly-designed cylinder costs. My tractor has two of those. Some guy on the web got so mad, he cut his cylinder open with a lathe and rebuilt it.

The grills on these things are made so they fall out if you're not careful, and the first sign the grill has fallen out is the sensation you have run over something. You're not going to see it fall while you're on the tractor. This destroys the grill. Before Deere discontinued it (thanks), the grill sold for $465. This is a cheaply-made part that weighs around three pounds. Used ones now sell for $900 because so many have been run over. A Kubota grill which is much nicer, bigger, and more complicated (and can't fall out) was something like $75 last time I looked.

My Kubota is about 20 years old, and when I priced a muffler out of curiosity, it was lower than a 430 muffler, and the 430 is just a hobby tractor for yard work.

I don't believe in rooting for manufacturers like they were sports teams. I'm on the side of other people who buy products and have to deal with them. I have zero brand loyalty. After all, they're not loyal to me. Nobody at John Deere owns a Suburban Plowboy hat or paints his barn Suburban Plowboy red. I don't care if they go bankrupt tomorrow. I'll buy something else.

I have a Lincoln welder. I put two Chinese welders right beside it. I'd buy a Miller if I thought it was a good deal. I have a Ford. I have a Dodge. Next car will be a Toyota because they're the best all-around cars made.

This will be my last Deere product. I would really like an excavator, but I am willing to give another company a chance.

/ John Deere Proprietary Belts? #23  
An extended thread where perhaps a quiet tantrum, non-posted, might have been more appropriate.

/ John Deere Proprietary Belts?
Three is a pretty low post count for a moderator.

/ John Deere Proprietary Belts? #25  
   / John Deere Proprietary Belts? #26  
Here is a suggestion, but I don't know it it would work in your application. On one of the machine tools at the shop they would tie a new belt over the particular device as a backup belt. That is, they would replace the broken belt with a new one and also place a second new belt over the spindle arrangement but not engaged on the pulleys. It would be tied back out of the way but over the critical shaft so that the next time the belt belt broke the gear box and main shaft did not need to be removed to replace the belt. Just a thought to lessen your repair time.

So simple, but I never would have come up with that idea! The last belt I had to replace was over 40 years ago on an international H. My 2 last Kubota machines over 25 years never needed a belt change.

/ John Deere Proprietary Belts? #27  
Had an older deere lawn tractor, it lasted about 20 years, it died when the oil filter vibrated loose. I had to replace the deck belts a number of times. We tried heavy duty belts from Napa one time, they lasted about an hour!
We used JD belts after that and they lasted for several years at least, they were more expensive but in the long run probably lasted long enough to make up the difference in cost.
The deck belts were pretty easy to replace, the drive belt was a whole different story, that one involved removing the pto clutch, mower deck, and several cross members on the bottom of the tractor.
Have a 324x now, still on its original belts. Looking under it, the drive belt looks like it's going to be at least as bad as the old mower, since I'm at least 25 years older now I'm likely to pay someone to do it when it needs it🤑

/ John Deere Proprietary Belts? #28  
Me, I'm getting a used Kubota diesel F20 front mount (70") deck this spring (coming in on a trade and owned by the local fair board), always kept inside and no belts except one on the engine that drives the water pump and alternator and easy to get too. Everything else is driveshaft including the gearboxes to run the blades and it's a Hydro and even has an air ride seat. I'm excited. I mow a lot of acreage (infrequently) as I hate mowing in general.

/ John Deere Proprietary Belts? #29  
I also have a 430. Use it for mowing. Bought it used.

The belt that drives the blades, broke.... ok, I don't know how old it is. Went to JD dealer to replace..... HOW MUCH IS IT?????

Yikes! I'll take the less expensive version of the same thing (from same dealer, it was an off brand)

Got home, put new belt on.... I did not get around the (smooth) field I cut a S.I.N.G.L.E. time....in fact, I got essentially 50% as I was on the far side of the field....the brand new that morning, belt snapped.

Learning my lesson, went back to dealer, bought their JD brand and paid the piper.

That was maybe six'ish years ago.....and that belt is still going strong.

Having a gravel driveway, I'll agree it's no fun pulling the mower out. If I had a smooth surface, it might slide better. I might buy some ramps so I can roll it up and slide under it to replace blades.

Not looking forward to next belt replacement though.

/ John Deere Proprietary Belts? #30  
The specs I found said 40.

I think some people are not getting it. It's not just one belt. This thing is full of bad engineering and expensive parts. For example, no one should ever make a hydraulic cylinder which is welded shut on both ends, while charging way more for the part than a correctly-designed cylinder costs. My tractor has two of those. Some guy on the web got so mad, he cut his cylinder open with a lathe and rebuilt it.

The grills on these things are made so they fall out if you're not careful, and the first sign the grill has fallen out is the sensation you have run over something. You're not going to see it fall while you're on the tractor. This destroys the grill. Before Deere discontinued it (thanks), the grill sold for $465. This is a cheaply-made part that weighs around three pounds. Used ones now sell for $900 because so many have been run over. A Kubota grill which is much nicer, bigger, and more complicated (and can't fall out) was something like $75 last time I looked.

My Kubota is about 20 years old, and when I priced a muffler out of curiosity, it was lower than a 430 muffler, and the 430 is just a hobby tractor for yard work.

I don't believe in rooting for manufacturers like they were sports teams. I'm on the side of other people who buy products and have to deal with them. I have zero brand loyalty. After all, they're not loyal to me. Nobody at John Deere owns a Suburban Plowboy hat or paints his barn Suburban Plowboy red. I don't care if they go bankrupt tomorrow. I'll buy something else.

I have a Lincoln welder. I put two Chinese welders right beside it. I'd buy a Miller if I thought it was a good deal. I have a Ford. I have a Dodge. Next car will be a Toyota because they're the best all-around cars made.

This will be my last Deere product. I would really like an excavator, but I am willing to give another company a chance.
Sounds like you like to complain about the current target of interest. If it's that much of problem for you then be proactive and take corrective action. Sell it, and buy the product of your dreams where everything the manufacturer does is perfect. If you have a problem - that's fine, ask a question. The remainder of your post is self-gratifying ego stroking to make you feel better.