John Deere rotary cutter problem

/ John Deere rotary cutter problem #1  

aspg4

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Fergerson 135, TYM 554
My neighbor has a 15 ft., model 1815 rotary cutter he purchased used, and the center section cuts about a foot higher than the two sides. He says the blades are on correctly, and the JD dealer does not know what is causing this. Anyone know what could be wrong?

/ John Deere rotary cutter problem #2  
Could be a plethora of different things. Pictures of mowing set up would be a good start .

/ John Deere rotary cutter problem #4  
Pictures of a John Deere model 1815 rotary cutter might be hard to come by.

Pictures of the guys mowing set up are what's needed. It's his neighbor. He wants help. Some pictures of the equipment that is mowing 12" different from middle to sides would be the beginning of this thread

/ John Deere rotary cutter problem #5  
sounds like he is letting the wings come down too far with the center lifted up high, maybe the travel stop is still on it for the center lift?

12 inches is pretty significant, our SE15 wont mow much more than 18 inches high all the way up

/ John Deere rotary cutter problem
My neighbor has a 15 ft., model 1815 rotary cutter he purchased used, and the center section cuts about a foot higher than the two sides. He says the blades are on correctly, and the JD dealer does not know what is causing this. Anyone know what could be wrong?

That model number is 1518. Sorry...

/ John Deere rotary cutter problem #7  
I don't think we're getting the full story.
I suspect the dealer knows what causing the center section to cut about a foot higher than the sides. It's likely because the center section is about a foot higher than the sides. The question probably is: "What's causing 'that'?"
Hydraulic cylinder stops?
Can wings float?
Or perhaps different style blades with different offset (and suction) give different results, exaggerated by the type of material being cut.
Or center blade pins have more slop and can angle up more?
Center gear box output shaft shortened? Center stump jumper same height as sides?

I know it's a wild stab in the dark, but there's a little known trick that sometimes works well in theses situations: It's called "try looking at it."
(Sorry... I know, I know... my wife loves this helpful suggestion just as much :rolleyes:) ....but seriously...start measuring.

/ John Deere rotary cutter problem #8  
I don't think we're getting the full story.
I suspect the dealer knows what causing the center section to cut about a foot higher than the sides. It's likely because the center section is about a foot higher than the sides. The question probably is: "What's causing 'that'?"
Hydraulic cylinder stops?
Can wings float?
Or perhaps different style blades with different offset (and suction) give different results, exaggerated by the type of material being cut.
Or center blade pins have more slop and can angle up more?
Center gear box output shaft shortened? Center stump jumper same height as sides?

I know it's a wild stab in the dark, but there's a little known trick that sometimes works well in theses situations: It's called "try looking at it."
(Sorry... I know, I know... my wife loves this helpful suggestion just as much :rolleyes:) ....but seriously...start measuring.

agreed...........12 inches is very obvious so it would not be hard to do some measuring on lets say a concrete slab in front of the garage/shop or nice flat spot in the yard or driveway -I dont mean to sound mean but if you dont have the ability to look under a mower or do some measuring and see something out of kilter you probably shouldnt own one - if it was only an inch thats one thing but a foot is A LOT

/ John Deere rotary cutter problem #9  
tire pressure all the same? any tires flat? do all three decks have a stump jumper pan installed?