John Deere rotary cutter reputation

/ John Deere rotary cutter reputation #11  
Mike was inferring that you would need to add some weight to the rear of your skid steer to compensate for the weight of the hydro motor and rotary cutter. You're going to be hanging a bunch of weight out there.

Timb, back is front and front is back in this situation. The relationship of the operator to the cutter is exactly the same (3pt hitch end toward operator). You are correct that you will be a little lower, but on the other hand, you will always be facing the work, allowing you to keep an eye on what's happening better than from a tractor seat when you're backing into heavy brush. If the factory built skid steer brush cutters weren't nearly a third the cost of my 4410, I might have gone that route to begin with. But, there are other considerations, too. I don't like the way my skid steer tears up the ground. Around a construction site, it's not a big deal, but I am trying to clean up some timber area with minimal impact to the soil and ground cover. That's more easily done with the tractor than with the Bobcat.

/ John Deere rotary cutter reputation #12  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Do ya' really want to be riding behind a rotary cutter running through the rough stuff? Especially sitting down low in a skid steer seat! )</font>

Not without armor! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ John Deere rotary cutter reputation #13  
<font color="blue">MX6 look like good machines and priced comparable to other brands. I don't much about their reliability etc and was wondering if someone could tell me a bit about the reputation of these cutters? </font>

I use an MX6 with my JD 4710. I love it. It mows down everything I've tried to tackle, even small tree saplings up to 10-12 feet. My neighbor is a commercial bush hogger. He used to run Brown bush hogs. He got rid of them and now solely uses two MX6s.

...Bob

/ John Deere rotary cutter reputation #14  
<font color="green"> small tree saplings up to 10-12 feet </font>

WOW those are HUGE trees around here.... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Or are you talking how tall they are..? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ John Deere rotary cutter reputation #15  
Yep....those tree saplings were about 10-12 feet high and around 1-2 inches in diameter. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif