john deere vs polaris

/ john deere vs polaris #1  

Tul01

Gold Member
Tractor
2015 John Deere 5115M, 1928 and 1945 hand start John Deere D's,
We are looking for a UTV. I think I have ruled out the Rhino in favor of the Polaris/JD for their better work capacities, looking at the twin cylinders, prefer fuel injected models. What are essentially the differences between the HPX/XUV? We will be adding a winch/plow, does the JD winch only attach in the front hitch receiver? Also, I can't find the gearing ratios-speeds for the Polaris- low range vs high range, as we will be pulling a heavy water tank. Can I just put either one in low range to limit the kids speed when they are driving around?

/ john deere vs polaris #2  
I will get on my Ranger tomorrow and check and see what the speed is in Low range. My wife would tell our kids to keep it in Low to prevent high speed. They keep revving it up because it was so easy to do. I have worked with them to show them how to drive slowly in High range. If you want to see a Ranger demo, check out my You Tube videos.

YouTube - Polaris Ranger 700XP Demonstration

/ john deere vs polaris #3  
Tul01 said:
We are looking for a UTV. I think I have ruled out the Rhino in favor of the Polaris/JD for their better work capacities, looking at the twin cylinders, prefer fuel injected models. What are essentially the differences between the HPX/XUV? We will be adding a winch/plow, does the JD winch only attach in the front hitch receiver? Also, I can't find the gearing ratios-speeds for the Polaris- low range vs high range, as we will be pulling a heavy water tank. Can I just put either one in low range to limit the kids speed when they are driving around?

I have a HPX. If you want to buy JohN Deere - get the XUV.

Take a hard look at the Polaris - they make good stuff. I am picking up my Ranger Crew tomorrow. I will have more to report.

D.

/ john deere vs polaris #4  
My Polaris crew is definately powerful and touchy on the footpedal......Low range and the 4x4 on the crew is real 4wd.....I drove a Mule and when the right front tire got in the air the 4x4 was almost failing....ie: it wasn't helping too much. I towed a big chipper mounted on a trailer with my crew straight up an incredibly steep hill and slippery and never stopped. It is one pullin dude for a relatively light vehicle......

/ john deere vs polaris #5  
P.S. The Polaris crew is no kids toy but neither are many others....my theory is kids can hurt themselves on alot of things and that's why they need to learn to respect equipment at a young age....i believe in teaching them respect and giving them knowledge about the equipment then if they don't respect it, mine would sit on their sore behind and watch the others enjoy it. Anyway, I think it a great thing for them and then maybe when they're 16 they can be experienced enough to handle a car........The only problem we've ran into is company's kids......that can be a problem if people don't make their kids mind.....

/ john deere vs polaris #6  
To address your question about the winch, please be aware that there are options besides going with JD accessories. There are several companies out there that can provide winches and plows with many different configurations and features, typically at a lower price than JD. For instance, here is a pic of a winch made by American Eagle mounted to the front bumper/guard. It is not completely installed, but you get the idea.

Attachments

• Eagle Plow 003.jpg
    Eagle Plow 003.jpg
    590.2 KB · Views: 313
   / john deere vs polaris #7  
Tul01 said:

Polaris has some deals right now.

Cheap financing and a free winch on many models.

D.

/ john deere vs polaris #8  
ddivinia said:
I have a HPX. If you want to buy JohN Deere - get the XUV.

Take a hard look at the Polaris - they make good stuff. I am picking up my Ranger Crew tomorrow. I will have more to report.

D.

Today is yesterday's tomorrow, so I'm waiting on some pics and reviews. I know you're excited.

Tul01, the Ranger XP and Ranger crew have different gearing. I'm not sure about Low range, but the XP tops out around 49 and the crew at 44. The Polaris has 40 HP and the JD has 23 HP. The JD tops out at 30 MPH.

/ john deere vs polaris
Thanks for the input so far guys, keep it coming. Tractors4u, I think I have studied your videos more than anything I used to pay attention to in school, they are great. I was wondering about the low range when the kids do drive it, right now I can limit them with speed limitor on mini quad or 2nd gear on our trike or my dads quad. Thanks for the photo prosum, I was looking at a couple different winches on the net but couldn't find mounts for them. I would probably go with that Eagle if I do the JD. Hoping to get some seat time over the next 1 1/2 weeks with spring break here.(but snow storm on the way!:mad: )

/ john deere vs polaris #10  
rutwad said:
Today is yesterday's tomorrow, so I'm waiting on some pics and reviews. I know you're excited.

Tul01, the Ranger XP and Ranger crew have different gearing. I'm not sure about Low range, but the XP tops out around 49 and the crew at 44. The Polaris has 40 HP and the JD has 23 HP. The JD tops out at 30 MPH.

I tell ya, working on the ranch I never want more speed out of my HPX. I do wish for full time 4WD a couple times. That is fixed on the later models.

On the crew - I wish it had a speed limiter... The extra speed will be handy going from my place to my buddy's ranch, etc.

D.