John Deere X series lawn tractor

/ John Deere X series lawn tractor #11  
I stopped by local John Deere today. The x380 is very nice. Would like to see x500 series after reading more here. No luck yet.

Have had a X500 since 2012 and recommend it highly. The X5xx series (a garden tractor) are much more heavy duty than the X3xx series (a lawn mower).

/ John Deere X series lawn tractor
I have never seen one of the x700's and only one x500 series. I called a different dealer today and asked about the x500. Said he could get anything but did not stock them. He mentioned the x380 as a fine mower. That is true and I have one nearby but still want to see one of the bigger before deciding.

/ John Deere X series lawn tractor #14  
The X380 is a fine mower, in fact one of best yard tractors you can buy. The X5xx series is a garden tractor, as a mower not much difference between X380 and X500- but if you want to snow plow, ground engagement etc. have steep hills or extremely rough terrain , the X5xx series is a totally different class, with stronger engine, much stronger transaxle, diff lock , larger tires

Depending on what model X5xx series you look at it,, the price goes up – a x570 will run you 5,500 a top of the 500 series line X590 will run you 7 grand- but if you don’t have sticker shock you should look at a 500 series- especially if you think you may have need in the future for its enhanced capabilities

/ John Deere X series lawn tractor #15  
as a mower not much difference between X380 and X500- but if you want to snow plow, ground engagement etc. have steep hills or extremely rough terrain , the X5xx series is a totally different class, with stronger engine, much stronger transaxle, diff lock , larger tires

I heard this same feedback from dealers: an x380 is a good mower, but is limited on ground engagement, wet surfaces, etc. as compared to x5XX models with differential lock. Personally, I would not task this category of riding mower with dirt work or moving snow, even more so without differential lock. My take is that if you plan to use the available attachments, which of course do offer some nice add-on capabilities, then starting at the x5XX series is probably wise.

Thanks for the input. I can say that I remember being very impressed with the x500 that I saw. I think it was closer to the $5,500 mark. I nosed around on Craigslist. There are actually more preowned mowers near me than I realized. My dealer only has new.

Ok. I've found a 2011 John Deere x500 25 hp and 71 opt hours. At a Deere dealer asking $3,995. Pictures look good. Found in north Ga. how does this sound?

/ John Deere X series lawn tractor #18  
Sounds good.

/ John Deere X series lawn tractor #19  
Ok. I've found a 2011 John Deere x500 25 hp and 71 opt hours. At a Deere dealer asking $3,995. Pictures look good. Found in north Ga. how does this sound?

70.8 hours that's still brand new-- that's a lot of tractor for that amount of money!! Ask dealer to throw in a brush guard.. he might, it helps protect the hood

Will do.