John Deere X300 or ???

/ John Deere X300 or ??? #11  
Scag Tiger Cub or similar? I'd get into a medium sized ZTR if you can stand it.

Don't understand what happened to JD's mower line lately, or maybe it's just certain ones. I run a 30+ year old single-banger JD 111 38" for a "misc stuff" mower and to pull around a JD 15 dump cart and a 25 gallon sprayer, and it runs and cuts great and starts every time (although it is on it's second Briggs engine). Other than having to build a home made replacement steering flex joint for it and a deck bearing replacement a few years back, it's been solid since I bought it 12 years ago in very used condition. I guess the bottom line is nobody makes them like they used to any more, not even JD.

/ John Deere X300 or ??? #12  
How about the Kubota 2080? I'm looking to get a riding mower myself and started a thread for advice and opinions. Every little bit of information helps?
Not sure which one to go for.

/ John Deere X300 or ??? #13  
I bought the little lady a JD X300 two years ago. The 42in cut was perfect for the yard around our log home in MO. The front yard has many mature trees with narrow spaces between a few of them. The turning radious is very tight on the X300 and runs very smooth and quiet compared to the Cub we had with a 50in cut and a 26hp Kohler engine. I've read on here of trans issues w the X300 but have had no trouble with ours. It's been a great mower for us so far.

/ John Deere X300 or ??? #14  
I'm in a similar spot as you are.

I've decided to hold off till my next trip to Detroit and see I'f I cant find a decent used high end residential or comercial model becuase a new mower in my price range probably won't last doing what I want it to do.

how much of your 3 acres is real lawn?

may want to get a field mower for the Bobcat and do the finish work near the house with a push mower

/ John Deere X300 or ??? #15  
I believe the X300 has the same transaxle as the LA130.

This article has a chart of the Tuff Torq K series transmissions including their standard continous axle torque, maximum input shaft speed and weight.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FZX/is_7_65/ai_55438459/

The low end JD mowers with the K46 have a torque rating of 166 foot pounds, 3000 rpm input speed and weight 28 pounds. The K62 used in JD Lawn Tractors has a torque rating of 215, 3000 rpm input speed and weigh 39 pounds. The K58 in the X320 is a newer (less expensive) version of the K62. The K4*, K5* and K62 transaxles are not rated for ground engaging applications. JD Garden Tractors use the K66 or K71 transaxles. The K66 has a torque rating of 310, 3400 rpm input speed and weighs 51 pounds. The K71 is has a torque rating of 406 pounds, 3400 rpm input speed and weights 61 pounds.

My guess is that the K46 is adequate to move the mower around with a rider and a light cart but anything more will strain it.

/ John Deere X300 or ??? #16  
The X300 series are actually pretty efficient little mowers. I personally like the X360 because it has power steering and hydraulic lift and is less fatiguing to use. The seat is pretty comfy also. As for the speed, I could mow my aunt's 3.5 acre lawn in just under 3 hours if I was moving (before trimming, etc.) to give you an idea of what to expect. Compare that with my 950 JD ZTR which can cut the same lawn in just over one hour doing a great job. That said, I really liked the little 360 mower. I will tell you that in the JD line in the 300 series, to me it's 360 or nothing at all. For mowing (not taking into account additional duties), going to a 500 series JD would help very little speed wise at a substantial cost increase. These machines are more capable to do other tasks, but do not really mow any faster. The issues of durability do also apply to cheaper ZTRs, which in many cases do not have the heavy duty wheel motors, etc. My advice is to go with a 360; which I can attest is a good little machine that does a solid job and will last for you. I believe the 300 series to be solid machines, one just has to be careful what one chooses to get maximum bang for the buck.

John M

/ John Deere X300 or ??? #17  
I have had about 10 mowers and have never had a motor fail. The trany always goes first. Most of the motors will last a min. of ten years(10-15 years for most). The trany can fail at most any time if it gets more than it is built to handle. This can happen easier than you think. Pulling a load, hills or rough land can all lead to early failure. A change in tires, weighted or filled tires can do it as well. If you have the power and the tires don't spin, the power has to go somewhere.

I saw a reccomendation for a Cub Cadet Garden tractor. They do have a solid trany but I think they cut too many corners on some of the other areas. I have found them to be of suspect overall quality. The decks, seats, hoods can be problem areas.

/ John Deere X300 or ??? #18  
I used the wife's X300 today at our new place in NE Indiana. Cut the 2 acres around the house with it and made 3 laps around the pond. Smooth and quiet machine. I love how easy it is to turn. The Cub we had was much harder to turn. The deck height is very simple to set and the rubber foward/reverse pedals grip the footwear great. She doesn't pull a trailer with it. The golf cart gets the "carryall" jobs. All it is used for is cutting. No problems or complaints here. Well worth the 2900 dollars IMO.

IMG00279.jpg

IMG00280.jpg

/ John Deere X300 or ??? #19  
I agree with others to pass on an X300 and buy atleast an X320 with the better transaxle (K58).

If you need to cut 3 acres routinely you need a bigger mower, think 60" cut or better.

I have had an X320 for two years and it is great. 48 Inch mower and does a great job. I have a bigger with it and it does a great job also. I pull a core aerator with 4 concrete blocks with no problems. Mine looks like new with a few scratches but I always clean it, grease, change the oil more often than recommended. Just that you know, they say it doesn't have a grease fitting on the steering, but it does at the front of the tractor. Good luck.

/ John Deere X300 or ??? #20  
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...77267-lawn-tractors-yard-tractors-garden.html shows part of my journey to find a suitable mower for my property. You don't mention your terrain, so any advice given may not apply to your situation. I am amazed by the quality and performance of the Husqvarna GT I ended up with, but my neighbor doesn't have steep slopes and loves his ZT unit - which would be terrible for my needs.

Deere has many positive traits, but bang for the buck isn't one of them. For the price of a x300, I got a machine that is far closer in to a x570, which costs twice as much.