Mowing John Deere X330 or S240

/ John Deere X330 or S240 #1  

Klhender

For the last year or two I've had an interest in buying a new lawn tractor. Two days ago I stopped by my local John Deere (JD) dealer with the thought of looking at the JD S240 (2599). After speaking with the salesmen I learned that JD X330 was on sale and being offered at the same price (2599) as the S240. I have learned over time to never take the first offer and always walk away if one is the slightest bit unsure of the purchase. We are talking about a new lawn tractor with 300 dollar JD discount and an extra 100 dollar dealer discount.

We've had a rear engine Snapper Rider for the last 14 yrs. which my wife uses every now and then. I've retired and no longer enjoy jamming myself into the seat (football linemen back in the day) and am looking for more comfort these days. I have about 1/2 acre which I have push-mowed for years. We may move in the next few years to a smaller house with a larger lawn.

Is this a good/great deal or am I overlooking some details in my excitement for a new tractor? I can find any type of review online I look for so perhaps it time to simply ask questions.

All opinions are welcome.

Thanks,

Klhender

/ John Deere X330 or S240 #2  
If you want a mower that is going to last(200 hours) you need to move away from the K46 transmission used in the lower end mowers.

/ John Deere X330 or S240 #3  
The X models are much better tractors than the 100 series (which the S240 is based on). I would totally skip over the 100 and S, and go to X at any price.

I can't remember which X300 model gets the better transmission, whether it's starting with the 350 or 380. But I'd definitely suggest moving up to that model as a starting point. In the long run, you'll be a whole lot better served. I have an X380 and it's been outstanding.

/ John Deere X330 or S240 #4  
Ironically, I had settled on the S240 myself, until the mower shop guy made a fairly impassioned argument for the S330. This was yesterday. I know your question was posted months ago, but I found it while searching for a comparison between the two, so maybe someone else will stumble across it too.

I understand the S330 has a better engine, transmission, front axle, steering spindles, deck, mower spindles, turning radius, seat (in several ways) and probably a few other bits and bobs. In my case it was on sale for $200 more than the S240, and I went for it. If your shop had them both for the same price, that seems like a great deal to me. Did you go for it?