John Deere X485 cold starting issues

/ John Deere X485 cold starting issues #1  

D Michael

Tractor
John Deere X485
Hoping that someone can help me with my issue surrounding the cold start issue with my X485 tractor. It takes probably 8-10 cranks to get it to start whereas prior years it was only 1-2 cranks. I keep this tractor meticulously tuned up and garaged at all times. Each year I change oil & filter, air filter, spark plugs, fuel filter, etc.. It's not a matter of it being out of tune since once it starts, it runs perfectly will all the power it should have. The electric fuel pump kicks on and runs while starting so don't think it's a fuel delivery issue. I've got to believe it is some sensor that has possibly failed that creates a richer air/fuel mixture while cold. Can anyone provide me with some technical solutions? Many thanks in advance.

/ John Deere X485 cold starting issues #2  
I would suggest running some Seafoam through it. Will clean out the fuel system all the way though.

Also, are you using ethanol fuel? If so how old is it?

/ John Deere X485 cold starting issues #5  
Do you have a carburetor or fuel injected model? On both models there is a solenoid that opens and allows fuel to to flow. There is an air temperature sensor on the fuel injected model.

/ John Deere X485 cold starting issues
Do you have a carburetor or fuel injected model? On both models there is a solenoid that opens and allows fuel to to flow. There is an air temperature sensor on the fuel injected model.

It is carburetor model.

I would suggest running some Seafoam through it. Will clean out the fuel system all the way though.

Also, are you using ethanol fuel? If so how old is it?

The gasoline is an ethanol added fuel, however I add an ethanol treatment each time. The fuel is fresh and is less than one month old. Again, it runs perfectly after it finally starts. I can give Seafoam a try though

Looking down the carb throat, I don't see any form of a conventional choke plate so I'm thinking the JD takes a different approach ?? (e.g. allow more fuel to enter carb versus the conventional approach of choking back airflow...?) Only a guess on my part at this time

/ John Deere X485 cold starting issues #9  
Do you have the engine model FD711D? If yes this is fuel injected. I think this is the only engine used in the X485 but not 100% positive of that. My service manual covers the X475, X485, X575 & X585 but it is unclear which models use which engines.

/ John Deere X485 cold starting issues #10  
the X475/575 would have the manual choke.
the X485/585 is fuel injected, but not multi port,
it's a throttle body injector. there is a cold start
aid within the control module, but i'm not sure
if that's serviceable other than replacing the module..