John deere x728 or x748

/ John deere x728 or x748 #182  
What the heck? 728 to a 748 is only $1000 difference and your getting a diesel engine? Do you really need an answer to this question?

To tell you the truth you should be looking at the 2305, 2320, or the 2520. Much better choice for commercial use. 700 series is just boarderline commercial.

ive owned a 445 and a 2305 would not buy diesel again yes it cost more per gallon, you add your additive then you plug it in electric cost to, so cost is more like $1 a gallon more. my 2305 with loader is very tippy not safe for the average person. id buy a gas save alot of problems with gelling. ill never buy a diesel again.

/ John deere x728 or x748 #183  
I would LOVE to know how many hours you have put on that 2305 Mr.. Just about anyone who has had a diesel says otherwise. Interesting.

/ John deere x728 or x748 #184  
the 2305 was a big disapointment at only 147 hours and just over 2 years developed a knock, told by deere to put fuel additive in it and no warranty left. they should recall them and scap them. everyone thats ever driven one with a loader on knows how tippy they are. the diesel consumption was the same as my gas 445 deere, and gas is cheaper. as far as power put a tiller on it in wet to heavy soil and you go very slow or bog down. i dont think anyone would recommend a 2305 unless they were a deere dealer. very expensive to run in winter by the time you pay for diesel, additive and then electric so you can start it, you can run a gasser for a long time, plus when its cold out you dont need to worry if it will start or if it will gel when its really cold out. been there done that.

Last edited:
   / John deere x728 or x748 #185  
I had just the opposite experience with my 2305. It was a great tractor that just wouldn't quit. I had a 445 before that which was also a great tractor, but wouldn't match the 2305 for power and stability. Fuel usage while mowing was similar or perhaps slightly better with the 2305. Pushing snow was no comparison. The 2305 with 4wd would absolutely blow the 445 away. Never had any problem with cold weather starting and never plugged it in. I liked the experience of the diesel tractor so much that I traded my 2305 for a 2520 this year. I mow with a 5' bushhog and that was maybe a little too much to ask of the 2305, but it never complained. Sorry you didn't have a better experience.

/ John deere x728 or x748 #186  
the 2305 was a big disapointment at only 147 hours and just over 2 years developed a knock, told by deere to put fuel additive in it and no warranty left. they should recall them and scap them. everyone thats ever driven one with a loader on knows how tippy they are. the diesel consumption was the same as my gas 445 deere, and gas is cheaper. as far as power put a tiller on it in wet to heavy soil and you go very slow or bog down. i dont think anyone would recommend a 2305 unless they were a deere dealer. very expensive to run in winter by the time you pay for diesel, additive and then electric so you can start it, you can run a gasser for a long time, plus when its cold out you dont need to worry if it will start or if it will gel when its really cold out. been there done that.

You can take the loader off if its too tippy. You must live somewhere its very cold.