Mowing JohnDeere Z910A zero turn mower PTO problem

/ JohnDeere Z910A zero turn mower PTO problem #1  

Paul Agostinelli

Tractor
John Deere 910A
My Z910A zero turn mower PTO was shutting off intermittently. Happened several times then finally the deck would not turn on at all. At first I thought maybe the PTO switch was bad so I replaced it. A $20.00 part. Problem still existed. I then checked the safety switch under the seat to be sure it wasn't damaged or unplugged, all was ok. So happened upon a post on this site to look for loose leads going into the connector for the PTO clutch. All were ok. Then I decided to look further and follow that same PTO clutch wire harness down through the frame, and discovered that it was not cable tied up tight enough and was sagging allowing the mower drive belt to rub right through it causing a short in the PTO clutch harness. I unplugged the connector (black) , it has 2 wires going to it, one black and one red. I then pulled it and the rubber grommet holding it through the frame and could clearly see how the belt had gradually worn right through the wrapped wire exposing bare wire and was almost completely disconnected. I cut the wire and repaired it using a wire clip. I then wrapped it all in 3 layers of electrical tape, fed it back through the frame with rubber grommet back in place and plugged it back in. I then cable tied it tightly to the standoff it was tied to earlier and took out all the sag from before so it cleared the drive belt. The problem was solved, the PTO fired right up and back to mowing.