Joist Hanger Nailer / Nailing

/ Joist Hanger Nailer / Nailing #1  

tc35dforme

Platinum Member
Tractor
TC35D/16LA
I'll be starting a rather large addition in about 4 weeks. I am hiring a framing contractor, but part of the deal and the best way to cut costs requires me to ' participate ' in the work. The issue at hand, is the nailing of a bunch... and I do mean a bunch of joist hangers, rafter clips, angle brackets etc.

I have quite a bit of experience doing this and frankly, my fingers can't take too much more hammer bashing while trying to handle those 1 1/2" nails in such tight spaces.

Does anyone have experience using a palm nailer to set joist hanger nails ?? I can get into a palm nailer for about $ 100.

Comments, thoughts, advice......

Thanks

/ Joist Hanger Nailer / Nailing #2  
Nope. How about the handy dandy screwgun though. Just don't try the idiot neighbor method- air nailer- he thought it would shoot through the plate.

/ Joist Hanger Nailer / Nailing #3  
<font color="blue">"Does anyone have experience using a palm nailer to set joist hanger nails ?? I can get into a palm nailer for about $ 100" </font>

Yup, its the best way to go. We've used them for years and it will make short work of driving teco nails and 16d sinkers. Piece of cake. Senco makes a very good one, but some of the imports would be OK for occasional use.

/ Joist Hanger Nailer / Nailing #4  
Get the palm nailer. They are amazing. You will wonder how you ever did without. Makes those joist hangers a breeze!

/ Joist Hanger Nailer / Nailing #5  
A year ago, when I was building a new deck, the friend that was helping me used a palm nailer. I fell in love with that thing. It was so much easier than contorting your body to get a swing with a hammer. If I ever have another construction job that requires driving a whole bunch of nails in tight spaces, my first stop will be to pick up a palm nailer.

That friend also brought along a Paslode framing nailer. The kind that uses a fuel cell and a battery, no air. Now that thing really impressed me. So much so, I got one and I've used it a lot. It's great for fixing fences 'way out in the boonies.

/ Joist Hanger Nailer / Nailing #6  
You might want to look at Air nailers that are specifically designed for nailing brackets. They are usually labeled as positive placement. The nail that is ready to fire extends from the front of the nose of the gun. Place the bracket in position, place the nose of the gun in position, with the tip of the nail in the punched hole of the bracket, and fire. These nailers take the heavy guage, hardened nails that are used for joist hangers. You can get galvanized also.

RonL

/ Joist Hanger Nailer / Nailing #7  
I recently saw a program on This Old House that concerned the new pressure treated lumber vs. the old stuff. Seems that the joist hangers have changed and they are now heavier coating of galvanization and some are now made of stainless steel. From what I gathered, the new chemical that they make pressure treat out of, is more corrosive to the nails and hangers, and new methods have to be made to accommodate this. On the program that I saw, they were using roofing paper to isolate the wood from the hangers and stainless steel nails. I suggest that you learn these details before you get started.. Junk...

/ Joist Hanger Nailer / Nailing #8  
I personally always use screws, its alot easier to move/adjust one later if you need to.

Also, JunkMan is VERY correct on the new PT lumber (ACQ) it will corrode regular hangers and nails. Just another government regulation that costs us more $$$.

/ Joist Hanger Nailer / Nailing #9  
Yep, I agree with the others, get a palm nailer. I’ve been using one for years just to do hangers. It sure beats trying to get your fingers in those tight corners.

I’d be careful about using screws on hangers for important structural members. Most screws are not going to have the same shear strength that the joist hanger nails are engineered to meet.

MarkV

/ Joist Hanger Nailer / Nailing
Well aware of that junk, Junk !!!. We're building with standard ( non treated ) lumber and some engineered members ( LVLs and I-joist ). We've got the hot dipped ( not electro plated ) galvy anchor bolts on the concrete to bolt down the PT sills and supply of stainless nails. Some of the nail-gun nails are now super deluxe coated and are 'sposed to be okay for ACQ.

Sounds like a palm nailer is in order. I just can't justify getting another framing nailer since the one I have is functional and I like the idea of hand placing the nail, just not whacking my hand with the Estwing !!

Thanks all....I'll surely post an update.