joystick - float not staying in up position

/ joystick - float not staying in up position #1  

txdon

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 3032E
Th dedent(sp?) on the joystick of my L5030 is stuck. The joystick is not staying in the up position allowing the bucket to float. Can anyone tell me how to fix it? Thanks.

/ joystick - float not staying in up position #2  
txdon…
You might check the post on "drain holes for loader valve". A build up of moisture and gunk in with the detent ball can keep things from working. KennyV.

/ joystick - float not staying in up position #3  
Take the spool end cap off and inspect for gunk, crud, moisture and loose or fallen off parts. Repair as required. If you had a moisture problem, drill a small weep hole in the cap to drain the moisture. You can also check the adjustment of the joystick to make sure it can be pushed all the way forward.

This question regarding float operation comes up about twice a week. Do a little searching and you will find plenty of additional information.

/ joystick - float not staying in up position
MadReferee, I did a search like you suggested and I thought I was ready to tackle the problem but then a flag was thrown.

I think that the spool end cap you are talking about is the part labeled YW240. Is that the cap that screws off? Are there any springs or hydraulic fluid that will surprise me when I take it off? Thanks.

Attachments

• YW240 float.jpg
    YW240 float.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 513
   / joystick - float not staying in up position #5  
Most likely. It should be held on with 2 cap screws. No hydraulic fluid will come out but water trapped inside could. Also you could have small parts (detent balls) falling out if the retaining nut has come off so be careful. The 5030 or 853 parts manual pages for the loader valve should have a breakout of what's in there and how it goes back together. Others have done it and it's pretty simple if you have the diagram. HERE is a link to a very recent one.

The link provided did not help. The screws they undo in that picture, I do not have anything that looks like that. There are two screws (plugs) on the top one for each valve in between the hydraulic hoses. I took a picture with the flashlight shining on them. Are those the ones you are talking about that I need to screw out? The loader is a LA853. There are also BH hydraulics. I don't have a manual.
If anyone has fix it on the LA853 please chime in. I'll put that project on hold till I figure out what I'm doing. I can still float, it just won't stay in that position.

Attachments

• top view.jpg
    top view.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 354
Last edited:
   / joystick - float not staying in up position #7  
The float detents are the hex shaped things labelled YW240. Theres one for the bucket and one for the loader arms. I dont have an 853 diagram but this LA353 looks like its pretty similar. You should be able to unscrew the parts marked P and F without anything going flying. Nothing is under spring pressure as long as the control lever is centered. (And it doesnt have any high pressure oil in it at any time anyway). Just watch out for a some small ball bearings. Its not as complicated as it looks. If its anything like mine only the bits marked in the red box will come away. The rest will stay inside the main valve body. (Its those ball bearings pressing into an associated groove that is supposed to hold the lever in the float position. Rust, muck, wear etc will be the problem.)

Attachments

• LA352_1.jpg
    LA352_1.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 497
  • LA352_2.jpg
    LA352_2.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 365
Alchemysa, thanks so much, that makes it clear. I'll try to take it apart tomorrow and see how it goes.

/ joystick - float not staying in up position #9  
Those two screws on the top of the valve are for the load checks. There will be a poppet and a spring under those caps. No need to remove them unless they are giving you problems.

Kubota uses several different Husco valves on thier tractors and yours looks like it might be a newer one. The whole end cap should just unscrew. If something is loose in there it will fall out when you remove it so make sure you have something there to catch little stuff.

"If something is loose in there it will fall out when you remove it so make sure you have something there to catch little stuff." - MadReferee

I think you just scared me into calling out the service tech.