Just a couple of guards

/ Just a couple of guards #11  
Jim, that is really cool. What cost range are these smaller CNC's in?

/ Just a couple of guards #12  
Nice work. Looks like you are using a Hypertherm plasma torch as well. Cnc plasma machines can be had for small shops for reasonable prices today. I have a 4 x 4 PlasmaCam machine in my home / horse farm shop with a Hypertherm Powermax45 plasma....it paid for itself just doing a bit of part time work in the first 6 months I owned it. Here are some pics.
Jim Enfield, NH

Jim:

How do you like the PlasmaCAM? They are made about 200-miles south from me in Colorado City. www.plasmacam.com

/ Just a couple of guards #13  
4shorts,

As always your work is excellent, I look forward to your projects!

Mike

/ Just a couple of guards
4shorts,

As always your work is excellent, I look forward to your projects!

Mike

Thanks Mike. Glad you enjoyed seeing this small project. Wish the snow would start so I could post some tractor threads instead of this boring welding stuff :laughing:

Well I've been doing some research on these PlasmaCams so I thought I would share my findings so far with you her at TBN.

Here's a good video on the PlasmaCam. Looks like the poor guy burnt his finger around the 59 sec mark.
Maybe a pair of gloves might have prevented that. The guy in the video didn't notice it but around the 2 minute mark the sheet moved. That must be a pain.

I'm still doing some research on this PlasmaCam but did find a few blogs that I attached the links to. I also ordered the video and info from the company. I don't know for sure but it looks like the cost is around the $8000. mark without the plasma cutter or computer. Finding the actual cost is tough trying to find. There are some hidden costs to do it right.

I'm certain that you'll need an exhaust system on this thing if your going to use it in the shop due to air born particles and smoke and a water table under it would be a nice added feature as well. I'm still looking into it and will keep you posted.

It would be nice if anyone else on here had one to post how they found the machine. I know one thing. It got my attention :D

YouTube - PlasmaCAM demo 021109

PlasmaCAM Part 1

PlasmaCAM Video Review Fact vs. Fiction

/ Just a couple of guards #15  
The PlasmaCam 4 x 4 machine is $9800, then add a plasma and a PC (any old pentium with a parallel port). Software comes with it...you can draw your parts in PlasmaCam CAD or import a .dxf file.

I have owned two of them, I sold the older generation model and bought the new version (DHC2) because it had the best torch height control system (necessary with plasma for good cut quality and best consumable life) in the low cost cnc/plasma market.

There are a dozen other brands of entry level machines like this, and about 40 manufacturers of industrial cnc machines that cost 10x as much. The PlasmaCam is the only one that you can program multiple parts and walk away while it is cutting them.

My background FYI: I am on this site because I have a horse farm, Kubota L4310, Kubota RTV900. My day job (32 + years) is working for Hypertherm, manufacturers of plasma cutters in Hanover , NH. Our plasma systems can be used with hand torches or cnc type machines....I have spent over 30 years working with cnc machine manufacturers integrating our plasma systems.

Other cnc entry level brands: TorchMate, Precision Plasma, Tracker CNC. TorchMate has a small 2 x 2 cnc machine (no height control) for under $3k, it is good for small one off parts. PlasmaCam also makes a 5 x 10 machine for larger shops, needs.

Here is a few more pics of things I have done with my machine.

Jim Colt

Attachments

• IMG_2781.jpg
    IMG_2781.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_2553.jpg
    IMG_2553.jpg
    858.7 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_2637.jpg
    IMG_2637.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 159
  • PlasmaCambuild 021.jpg
    PlasmaCambuild 021.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 216
Thanks Jim for the great info. When it comes to purchasing shop equipment that's not an expensive purchase.

When it comes to the fabrication and welding I've be able to manage it. I'm comfortable running computers/programing. When it comes to CNC operation I've never done it so my question is. How user friendly would the software be that comes with the machine?

Very impressive work there sir. Really enjoyed seeing it and I'm sure everyone else did as well. It's nice to discuss this stuff with someone who knows first hand what it's all about :thumbsup:

/ Just a couple of guards #17  
When I bought my first PlasmaCam about 11 years ago I had never done a bit of CAD drawing, and while I had pushed the buttons on a few industrial plasma cutting machines...I really did not know what I was doing. The tutorial that came with the plasma cam.....in the printed manual....was complete enough to get me started drawing simple parts in the included drawing package. I would say that about an hour after sitting at my computer with the manual I was able to cut a part....it was a rectangle with four bolt holes. I had the advantage of understanding the plasma process, and understanding how all components of a cnc plasma work together. Over time I naturally got better, and today, I can pretty much turn anything into a drawing. The picture of the horse jumping was actually done from a photo of my wife and one of her horses. I could have done it myself.....it would have taken me a couple of hours, rather I know a guy that will take any photo and turn it into a cut path......for around $20.....all done by emailing a photo to him, then he emails the .dxf back the next day. Mechanical drawings rae simple....if I need a bracket or a gusset....I draw it right at the machine, push the start buton and cut the part. There is no messing with machine codes or G codes...the drawing file (if AutoCad format is in .dxf) is automatically converted to the M and G code that directs the motion of the machine as well as the on/off for the plasma and the torch to work distance functions.

The guards that you showed in the original post would have taken me 2 to 4 minutes to draw.....they look like 12 gauge steel...so they would cut at about 150 inches per minute, and the tolerances would be in the .005" to .010" range.

There are a bunch of different entry level machines available....some less expensive than the PlasmaCam by a few thousand.....but I think there are more PlasmaCams out there and the system in my opinion is easy to learn, easy to use.

I am not affiliated with PlasmaCam in any way...except that they do business with Hypertherm and I work for Hypertherm.

Jim

When I bought my first PlasmaCam about 11 years ago I had never done a bit of CAD drawing, and while I had pushed the buttons on a few industrial plasma cutting machines...I really did not know what I was doing. The tutorial that came with the plasma cam.....in the printed manual....was complete enough to get me started drawing simple parts in the included drawing package. I would say that about an hour after sitting at my computer with the manual I was able to cut a part....it was a rectangle with four bolt holes. I had the advantage of understanding the plasma process, and understanding how all components of a cnc plasma work together. Over time I naturally got better, and today, I can pretty much turn anything into a drawing. The picture of the horse jumping was actually done from a photo of my wife and one of her horses. I could have done it myself.....it would have taken me a couple of hours, rather I know a guy that will take any photo and turn it into a cut path......for around $20.....all done by emailing a photo to him, then he emails the .dxf back the next day. Mechanical drawings rae simple....if I need a bracket or a gusset....I draw it right at the machine, push the start buton and cut the part. There is no messing with machine codes or G codes...the drawing file (if AutoCad format is in .dxf) is automatically converted to the M and G code that directs the motion of the machine as well as the on/off for the plasma and the torch to work distance functions.

The guards that you showed in the original post would have taken me 2 to 4 minutes to draw.....they look like 12 gauge steel...so they would cut at about 150 inches per minute, and the tolerances would be in the .005" to .010" range.

There are a bunch of different entry level machines available....some less expensive than the PlasmaCam by a few thousand.....but I think there are more PlasmaCams out there and the system in my opinion is easy to learn, easy to use.

I am not affiliated with PlasmaCam in any way...except that they do business with Hypertherm and I work for Hypertherm.

Jim

Thanks Jim. I really appreciate that info. I'm going to go for the PlasmaCam. I ordered the info on it from them so I'll check that out first but your info has been priceless for me because I've never seen one and to have someone on here that owns one is just great. It's not something I would be using every day but I don't use all my tools every day anyways. I can see the benefits of owning one of these tables. If I get one you'll have to hook me up with the guy who writes the file for ya if he's looking to make a few more $'s ;)

Your doing some nice work there sir. Tip my lid to you and I really appreciate the info on this. Paul

/ Just a couple of guards #19  
Paul:

Thanks for posting the videos. The guy burning his hand was a hoot. I think the aluminum sheet was so thin and light that it wouldn't take much to move as it did.

As the blogger wrote, PlasmaCAM needs to use something more modern than a parallel port. To me, a laptop would be ideal for space savings.

Regarding CorelDraw and AutoCAD. I have both on my system at home, and I hate CorelDraw. I only bought it when I was looking at starting a laser engraving business. CorelDraw is an illustrator's tool, and is not accurate enough in my book for machine parts. I've used AutoCAD since Release 9 in the late 80's. The current release is 2011 (Release 18.x) and is better suited for accurate parts. CorelDraw would be fine for artistic metal work as Jim posted.

I haven't looked at PlasmaCAM's web site in a while; but they were using stepper motors for the carriage. I hope they've upgraded to servo motors, or at least offer them as an option. Servo motors provide better accuracy than stepper motors.

Here are some links that may be of interest while you research the products.

CNC Control Software | Flashcut CNC

Torchmate CNC plasma cutters, CNC cutting systems, CNC plasma tables, and CNC Routers.

ShopSabre CNC Routers | CNC Routers | CNC Plasma Cutters | CNC Laser Cutter | CNC Wood Router | CNC Machine | CNC Router | CNC Router Tables | ShopBotTools CNC Routers|ShopSabre CNC Router|

Metal Bending Fabrication Equipment | Shop Outfitters Related to PlasmaCAM

CNC Plasma Cutters Resource Site, DXF Art for CNC Plasma, Clip Art for CNC Plasma Cutting. • Index page Just what you need...another forum. :laughing:

Epilog Laser Engraver - Engraving Laser Cutting Marking Machines Systems and Equipment FiberMark Laser The laser engraver manufacturer I was going to go with.

If you get serious about a PlasmaCAM, etc, let's talk about AutoCAD and how we can help each other out. Lord knows I could stand to make a buck from the stuff.

/ Just a couple of guards #20  
Plasma Cam has never used a stepper motor for the carriage.....both x and y have always been servos from their first model. The z axis used to be a simple ac motor as it did not need encoder feedback with their first version of a THC, today the z axis is a stepper as it does accurately gauge torch to work distance. A servo is not necessary for the z axis for a plasma, however I agree servos are best for the x and y motion.

Jim