Buying Advice Just bought a 1989 Yanmar 169D

/ Just bought a 1989 Yanmar 169D #1  

Datsun

Tractor
yanmar
Tractors are new to me. We just bought 6 acre field and it is too much my Cub Cadet 2518 (2WD 20HP Kohler w 48" deck). Some CC repair part shipment delays this June let the grass get ahead of me so now I need a bush hog to make it mow-able again.

I'm hoping the 169D will do the job with a 5' bush hog and a 5' tow mower. The high torque 3 cyl. diesel should help??? but I'm keen to gain advice from this forum. The land has a gentle hill.

Tractor Overview:

• Everything functions.
  • ROP was sawed to be modified to fit in garage. The seller has metal to modify it for pins. I'll have to deal with it.
  • The tractor has cracked tires so I'll probably have to get a new set.
  • Some weeping from the rad so I am guessing a re-core or a replacement.
  • I forgot to bring a volt meter and the seller had to use a charger so the alternator, vreg, or battery may need attention.
  • No fluid leaks. A bit damp around the front left axle seal.
  • It looks a bit banged up on the hood and is missing the small side panels.

Some photos from the ad:

1.JPG

3.JPG
4.JPG

2.JPG
5800 hours on meter

/ Just bought a 1989 Yanmar 169D #2  
Welcome to the forum. :welcome:

Only 580 hours on the meter but could be 1580. It rolls over and starts again.

Cracked tires won't likely hurt a thing and might last for years.

Make sure you keep the front axle level ok if leaking. If not leaking badly a little Lukas power steering stop leak might possibly do the trick.

Don't let it overheat, these little engines won't stand for it.

Not sure whether a regular 5' rotary mower or a pull behind rotary mower or both. "If" regular 3 point 5 footer that is a little much for the 169, however, doable with proper care given.

/ Just bought a 1989 Yanmar 169D
Welcome to the forum. :welcome:

Make sure you keep the front axle level ok if leaking. If not leaking badly a little Lukas power steering stop leak might possibly do the trick.

Not sure whether a regular 5' rotary mower or a pull behind rotary mower or both. "If" regular 3 point 5 footer that is a little much for the 169, however, doable with proper care given.

Thanks for the advice! I'll try the stop leak.

The tow mower has a 17HP engine on it so it should be OK being pulled on its own as the Yanmar just has to tow it.

I need to cut tall grass so do you think the 5' bush hog would need more power than the Yanmar can provide? If so would a 4' bush hog be OK?

Thanks!

/ Just bought a 1989 Yanmar 169D #4  
Winston1 is one of the go to guys! He is a wealth of information on our Yanmars.

Your front axle should use an 80w90 gear oil. For some reason, the front seals seem to seep just a bit of oil with some wear. Watch the level closely for a while as it is new to you. Make sure it is full now or change it and fill to full and then keep a watch. My guess: if just damp, you will go for a long time without adding gear oil.

I understand the 3 numbered Yanmars were built for the US market and as such use the 1st 2 digits as the engine HP. That means that yours is a 16 engine hp tractor. As such, I believe you will find 5’ mowers (either finish mowers or brush cutters) are going to be hard on your tractor even under optimal conditions. If possible get 4’ units. If not stay on top of mowing. If it has gotten ahead of you with growth, cut the growth as high as you safely can, then cut it lower a day or so latter.
For future implements, I strongly recommend 4’ width.

As for your tires, I believe they should be tubed. As long as they hold air and are not missing big hunks of tread, continue to run them. Our tractors have a slow road gear and as such most of us will haul them on a trailer if traveling any distance.

As for the radiator, pursue that quickly. There are lots of threads on here and other forums about blown head gaskets and other problems from overheating. On the short term, check the water level frequently, ensuring it does not run low!

Now, welcome to the forum!

/ Just bought a 1989 Yanmar 169D #5  
It would be much more suited to a 4 footer, however, just try taking a partial cut. Just don't overload the little beast.

Thanks gang. I'll take your advice.

I'm used to cars where torque means more than HP at low rpms. Are tractor specs the same?

i.e. I have two Non-turbo cars: a 250hp I4 and a 150hp I6 and the 6 has much more seat of pants performance at low rpms. I am assuming the 3cyl 16HP diesel will be much more capable than the 2 cyl 20HP gas CC.

I just read that a rule of thumb is "5HP per foot of mower" so does this translate better if torque is used?

/ Just bought a 1989 Yanmar 169D #7  
The torque thing is over my head but your 16hp tractor will pull your 20hp Cub Cadet backwards while it is cutting grass.

@winston1 "The torque thing is over my head but your 16hp tractor will pull your 20hp Cub Cadet backwards while it is cutting grass. "

Yup. You are speaking my language. The Yanmar can creep along slowly from my test drive so I guess I can creep along and hold the cutter high so that it does not overload under the deck in the high grass. My poor CC 48" would bog even with just a 16" cut in the highest position.

/ Just bought a 1989 Yanmar 169D #10  
@winston1 "The torque thing is over my head but your 16hp tractor will pull your 20hp Cub Cadet backwards while it is cutting grass. "

Yup. You are speaking my language. The Yanmar can creep along slowly from my test drive so I guess I can creep along and hold the cutter high so that it does not overload under the deck in the high grass. My poor CC 48" would bog even with just a 16" cut in the highest position.

Use caution when using a brush cutter in a raised position. These cutters are prone to throw solid loose items with great force and for long distances when used at their recommended height settings. Once you get a pass (whatever your mowing pattern will be) then you can do a narrower that the cutter pass, perhaps 3/4 or 2/3’s width passes. You may also attempt full width cut at reduced speed.
On the torque issue. A tractor is different. Speed is limited to a top speed in each gear (combo of gear range and gear in each range. My yanmar has a C, and 1, 2, 3 range setting and 3 forward and 1 reverse in each range). Also a tractor is mean to be ran at the engine RPM to obtain 540 PTO RPM. Torque from the engine is transferred to both functions if using the PTO. You do not run up engine RPM’s in a gear and then shift to a higher gear, you select a gear for your desired ground speed and your RPM’s are set to run the cutter or other PTO operated implement.
I will try to find some pictures to explain some of this better for your 169. Give me some time!
If you have questions about certain functions, take a picture and there ate many of us who can address it.