Just bought a GT14 - need help with repairs

/ Just bought a GT14 - need help with repairs
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Here's the wiring. The PTO clutch is disconnected, the plug doesn't appear to have anywhere to go.

Attachments

• 482686-yanmar8.jpg
    482686-yanmar8.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 256
/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
The PTO clutch works, but the tensioning mechanism is very very loose. The pulleys in the picture move side to side a lot. I'm going to have to fab some kind of bracket up to hold it better. There's a little bit of sheet metal at the top, I couldn't see where it attached.

Attachments

• 482687-yanmar9.jpg
    482687-yanmar9.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 231
Fixed the starting problem, it was a maladjusted clutch switch. Got the hood off, and found that the pin that the whole PTO adjustment assembly pivots on was falling out. Looks like an easy fix. This thing is looking more like a sweetheart deal all the time. The main thing left to fix is the wiring to the PTO, and get a reasonable seat on there. Anyone have dimensions on a seat for the GT14? Or a used one? I'll buy new, but only want to spend about $50. I'm sure the OEM seat isn't that cheap. Also, is anyone making decals for this thing, I'd like to take all the sheetmetal off and straighten and paint it before the wife sees it. (She's out of town for a couple weeks)

Thanks,
Mark

/ Just bought a GT14 - need help with repairs #14  
I am gonna take a stab at that three lobbed knob. I had a JD855 once that had a knob in about the same location. You could raise the mower deck and then screw the knob in and it locked the mower deck in the up position. Then if you wanted to lower the 3 point hitch, your mower deck stayed in the up position.

I'll have to see if it lines up with the lift arms. that's a good idea.

/ Just bought a GT14 - need help with repairs #16  
That's a really cute machine. I'd love to have one. Does it have a hydraulic pump up on the front right side of the engine?

I see it's a 2 cyl, but has a water pump. That's the first 2 cyl Yanmar diesel that small (14hp) that I've seen with a water pump. My YM1110D (13hp) doesn't have one - but relies on natural convection of the coolant for circulation.

If it runs well, the engine alone is worth well over $1000. You've got alot of questions, but I just can't answer them. Hopefully one of the dealers on this board is familiar with the machine. Contact one and get manuals for it - you won't be sorry.

Once again, congratulations! It looks like you got a really sweet deal.

Thanks, yes it does have a hydraulic pump on the front right. The tank for the system is on the top of the engine behind the valve cover.

I took a look at it again this morning, and I just can't believe that all the major issues are just simple maintenance items. I can't understand how someone buys a rig this expensive, then doesn't maintain it, and uses mickey mouse fixes on it.

This thing is going to be very sweet when it's done....

Thanks, I feel very blessed to have found this thing. It's already putting the old 11hp Murray to shame just sitting in the shop. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Just bought a GT14 - need help with repairs #18  
That seat looks awfully comfy but I think it looks out of place for some reason.
Looks to be in good shape.
Good luck with it.

Yes, it's very comfy, but I can't stnad the looks of it. It's coming off. Anybody got any sources for a really comfortable aftermarket garden tractor seat with good lumbar support for a bad back?

BTW, I'll post photos a little later, I have the tractor sheet metal torn completely off the tractor. Right down to the chassis. All getting straightened and painted next week. I want it to look pretty for the wife. It's going to be her surprise.

I've got manuals coming, wow, expensive.

Also, an engineer friend stopped by tonight, and when we started it up, he noticed the front pulley was moving around a lot. It looks like the pulley is out of round or the crank end is bent. Is this a problem on Yanmars? Or dare I dream it's just a pulley bent?

Attachments

• 483316-yanmar10.jpg
    483316-yanmar10.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 262
More sheetmetal

Attachments

• 483322-yanmar11.jpg
    483322-yanmar11.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 242