Just bought a John Deere 310d

/ Just bought a John Deere 310d #1  

mwilli

Tractor
John Deere 310d
Hi all. New member here. I came across this forum while searching for information on my recent purchase.
I have always wanted a backhoe, and came across a good deal on a John Deere 310d backhoe. Heated cab, 2 wheel drive. Very good condition, maybe a 1996 but not sure. And the factory paint is in great condition.

I知 new to older tractors, and backhoes. So I知 looking forward to learning everything I can.

I am curious about something. I知 wanting to find info on oil capacities and filters. So I知 looking for a manual on this thing. On eBay, I found an operators manual and a technical manual, which is 600+ pages. I don稚 want to buy both righ now, only one at this time. Any idea which one I want?

Is there any other good sites I can find more info on my new backhoe?

Thanks so much!

/ Just bought a John Deere 310d #2  
Congrats on the purchase. And welcome to TBN.

I bought a Ford 555A TLB little over a year ago. Was looking for a JD310.

If only buying one manual I'd start with operators manual. It'll explain daily use things better than a tech manual.

Here's a link to a forum that specializes in heavy equipment. If you can't get questions answered here in the construction equipment section you might try there. There's several TLB owners here so you should be able to discuss any issues you have.

Again, welcome to TBN.

Heavy Equipment Forums

/ Just bought a John Deere 310d #3  
Hi all. New member here. I came across this forum while searching for information on my recent purchase.
I have always wanted a backhoe, and came across a good deal on a John Deere 310d backhoe. Heated cab, 2 wheel drive. Very good condition, maybe a 1996 but not sure. And the factory paint is in great condition.

I知 new to older tractors, and backhoes. So I知 looking forward to learning everything I can.

I am curious about something. I知 wanting to find info on oil capacities and filters. So I知 looking for a manual on this thing. On eBay, I found an operators manual and a technical manual, which is 600+ pages. I don稚 want to buy both righ now, only one at this time. Any idea which one I want?

Thanks so much!

Congratulations!
Welcome to the TLB ownership club.

I bought my (now old) Ford 2WD TLB just over 33 years ago.
Have only put an additional 500 hours on it.
It only has 1850 hrs. total, and I completely refurbished it 2 years ago.

I am kinda old now, but am looking for a low hour Kubota L48 or L45.(2006-2009).
I don't want a big machine, just a 2 stick newer machine, before I check out of this world.

/ Just bought a John Deere 310d #5  
Our 1983 310B takes 22 gallons for a full change out. We have had it about 10 years and it was trice worn out when we got it. I had to put on some new hoses and a starter and a new battery when we first got it. A late welder with a dirt floor shop behind his house rebuilt the front and rear buckets a couple years before he passed. It still starts and runs. I have a guy that is going haul it over to the place the son plans to move to when they get the house redone. I need to spot a couple loads of dirt over there before we move it from the house.

We had water in our system and I found the best way to get it out over time was to loosen the sump drain plug and let the water drain down and run off of my elbow into a bucket until it turned to oil again. Be careful to not drop the plug because you are NOT trying to drain the sump. :)

If you are going to do a total fluid and filter change out I would get the water out FIRST next time. I am guessing some was in all the cylinders and it just took a while to work to sump under the center of the tractor.

I had lost enough hoses it was basically new UTF but the water was still an issue. I found for a while after working it for a couple hours if I let it cool for a bit I could get more water to the low point. After it was all out we have been fine. With the water when it got hot it did not pull well in high range.

I expect you are going to love the 310D for sure.

/ Just bought a John Deere 310d #6  

Thanks so much!

Buy them straight from Deere by downloading. Not free, but they are the right ones. Operators manual has capacities in it

http://www.johndeeretechinfo.com/in...earch&division=All&language=19&searchFor=310D

/ Just bought a John Deere 310d #7  
Our 1983 310B takes 22 gallons for a full change out. We have had it about 10 years and it was trice worn out when we got it. I had to put on some new hoses and a starter and a new battery when we first got it. A late welder with a dirt floor shop behind his house rebuilt the front and rear buckets a couple years before he passed. It still starts and runs. I have a guy that is going haul it over to the place the son plans to move to when they get the house redone. I need to spot a couple loads of dirt over there before we move it from the house.

We had water in our system and I found the best way to get it out over time was to loosen the sump drain plug and let the water drain down and run off of my elbow into a bucket until it turned to oil again. Be careful to not drop the plug because you are NOT trying to drain the sump. :)

If you are going to do a total fluid and filter change out I would get the water out FIRST next time. I am guessing some was in all the cylinders and it just took a while to work to sump under the center of the tractor.

I had lost enough hoses it was basically new UTF but the water was still an issue. I found for a while after working it for a couple hours if I let it cool for a bit I could get more water to the low point. After it was all out we have been fine. With the water when it got hot it did not pull well in high range.

I expect you are going to love the 310D for sure.

Could you adapt/plumb a petcock in place of the drain plug for draining water. I know you would have to be quick to install it the first time. But once installed you could easier drain the water.

/ Just bought a John Deere 310d #8  
I think you'd risk knocking a petcock off, dumping all the oil, only to be discovered too late.

/ Just bought a John Deere 310d #9  
I think you'd risk knocking a petcock off, dumping all the oil, only to be discovered too late.

I totally agree. The nice part is I only had to do this a few times and will stick with the factory drain plug.

/ Just bought a John Deere 310d
Thanks for the info all!