Just bought my first tractor

/ Just bought my first tractor
Thanks for all the advice. By the way, a special thanks to jbrumberg for telling me what the abbreviations stood for. I had NO idea.

I had not seen the safety section. I'll become very familiar with that. My property is sloped so I will be sure to get a good feeling for this thing before I do anything on the hills. Mine looks just like the one in your picture Gizmo, without the FEL.

I am very careful with tools. I am an advanced woodworker and fully appreciate knowing how to safely use all of my tools; the tractor will be no different.

I'll post some pictures of it next weekend. It is not all beat to heck. It looks almost new. It did not come with any attachments although it does have weighted rear wheels. I'll have to buy a shredder and a FEL.

I plan on using it as a shredder. Also, I have my own lumber mill and will use the 650 to move some of the smaller to mid-sized logs around. I have a home made contraption for picking up the biggest logs.

I've very excited about getting this thing. Thanks again for the warm welcome and all the advice. It is genuinely appreciated.

Scot

/ Just bought my first tractor #12  
Scot:

You are welcome :D! Be careful on the slopes. I would try and work the slopes in an uphill/downhill manner. I would try to stay under 15 degrees angle of tilt. Trust your "pucker" reaction. Pucker reactions occur before the brown undies response :eek:. Somewhere buried in the archives of TBN is a great list of all those crazy abbreviatons we use here. Good luck with your "new" tractor. Use it safely and well. Jay :D

PS: Send pictures; we like pictures.

/ Just bought my first tractor
jbrumberg said:
Scot:

You are welcome :D! Be careful on the slopes. I would try and work the slopes in an uphill/downhill manner. I would try to stay under 15 degrees angle of tilt. Trust your "pucker" reaction. Pucker reactions occur before the brown undies response :eek:. Somewhere buried in the archives of TBN is a great list of all those crazy abbreviatons we use here. Good luck with your "new" tractor. Use it safely and well. Jay :D

PS: Send pictures; we like pictures.

I'm very familiar with the pucker reaction having experienced it, ignored it and suffered the consequences on occasion. Just watching some of the woodworking shows on television and seeing some yahoo make a cut I would NEVER do, gives me the pucker reaction.

The last thing I want is to have my new tractor lying on top of me at the bottom of the dry creek.

/ Just bought my first tractor #14  
Scotman said:
Having just bought 4.5 acres and needing a small tractor to help me get the property cleaned up, I bought a mid-80's John Deere 650.

Low hours, very clean and runs great.

Here's the problem....and I'm embarrassed to admit it. I have NEVER driven a tractor. Never started one. Never drove one. I have a friend of mine check it out before I bought it and he swears I will wonder how I lived without it. He said that I got a terrific price.

I paid $1800.

Any tips or tricks to learning one?

I look forward to any hints, tips or tricks.
Scot

Welcome... You are going to be amazed at how simple driving a tractor can be. It is not like driving a car with a stick shift and having to change gears as you go. You just put it in the gear you want (for power and speed) and you go. I am not familar with the 650 so I don't know if you need to come to a stop to change gears or not. But most of the older tractors work this way. Like others have said take it slow and easy. But that's one of the great things about tractors... they are made to go slow and easy.

Enjoy your tractor, you are going to love it.:)

/ Just bought my first tractor #15  
I want to reiterate that part about it not being like driving a car. You should always practice safety as the top priority first and foremost. TOO many people are hurt on these things each year, and don't let any children close to the tractor (ever!).

On older geared tractors (and some new ones like my 2003 model), you have to come to a stop, throttle down the rpms to idle, and then shift gears (old timers will say to wait 3 seconds). Also keep in mind that the brakes are not as quick or efficient as a car's brakes.

Have fun!

Any day on a tractor is a good day (as long as you are careful).

/ Just bought my first tractor #16  
Rather than a driver, I think of myself as an equipment operator. I may drive to the job at hand, but that is part of the overall operation. I think ahead about what is entailed, and if possible, plan each step of the task; as a surgeon does in the operating room. Planning ahead, seeing the job through to completion, can eliminate a lot of costly mistakes. Take your time. Slow and steady goes far in a day.

/ Just bought my first tractor #18  
PaulChristenson said:
Thanks Gizmo...I always wondered what an FEL was for...To carry spare parts or is that your 3 pt hitch??...:D
LOL! It's the 3PH in the bucket. Really thought hard about keeping the 650 for a backup tractor. Dealer delivered the 2320 and took the 650, a sad day that day had the 650 for 20 years. But now...don't miss the 650 at all and my wife really likes the 2320, gear vs HST, power steering vs manual. If you don’t have a FEL loader how do you hang xmas lights and paint the house?

/ Just bought my first tractor #19  
Gizmo2 said:
LOL! It's the 3PH in the bucket. Really thought hard about keeping the 650 for a backup tractor. Dealer delivered the 2320 and took the 650, a sad day that day had the 650 for 20 years. But now...don't miss the 650 at all and my wife really likes the 2320, gear vs HST, power steering vs manual. If you don稚 have a FEL loader how do you hang xmas lights and paint the house?

Attachments

Look at the Bulk Bag Hopper-Dispenser System picture...and then imagine a person where the Bag is...:D