Just bought three acres, now what

/ Just bought three acres, now what #31  
I've got to agree with Island Tractor. I have a 21 hp tractor and a 39 hp tractor that do all the tasks I have to do on 35 acres plus 200 acres of my MIL's land. The land is mostly wooded so we are not raising crops. The 21 hp tractor gets more use than the larger one now that things are established. Easier to maneuver and less damage to the finish landscape. I would be looking at the sub-compact tractors for 3 acres if I wanted it to do finish mowing like the original poster. The initial clean up work may take a bit longer but the eventual maintenance work and mowing will be much better handled by the smaller tractor. Naturally a 40 hp tractor will do many task more quickly but on 3 acres it is overkill.

MarkV
Good post/very good.

/ Just bought three acres, now what #32  
My vote goes for a Kubota BX or a B for your land/uses. My first tracter was a New Holland TZ 25 DA (same as the Kubota BX series) I have since upgraded to a Kubota B2620. The smaller tractor will do all your chores you mention as others have said, I just went up to the 2620 for a couple of reasons. I too have 3 acres (but maintain 5) I needed and wanted a bigger platform as I am 6' 3" 225 pounds the platform on the B was much more roomy/comfortable. I needed more ground clerance for working in my woods. The smaller model would constantly be rubbing on the ground,stumps etc... The 3 speed hydro upgrade was also a big plus for me as the smaller models only have hi/lo and the medium IMHO is the most used speed for most apps. And lastly I have many rocks/boulders on my property that I am always moving around and I gained more lifting capacity and a bigger bucket w/ my upgrade. As mentioned both said tractors will fit your needs it boils down to which one you feel most comfortable on. Good Luck and keep us posted!

/ Just bought three acres, now what #33  
1*I love the "toy" put down. I'd challenge anyone who thinks a BX24 is a toy to go one on one with that machine while armed with a shovel and a wheelbarrow.
2*On a 3 acre plot of land, if ground clearance is not an issue, a BX size SCUT is more than adequate and would do a much better job mowing, which is likely the most common task, than virtually any other size tractor. Slightly used BX24s with less than 300hrs on them go routinely in my part of the country for under 13 thousand. Fabulous deal for a newbie with 3 acres.
3*Wish I had one to supplement my 40hp machine.
If you spend you money on a smaller tractor you can have more implements to accomplish tasks than if you invest in a bigger engine and more iron to contain it than is really necessary. For example, with less money you could have a SCUT with a grapple bucket that would carry way more debris than a 40hp tractor with only a bucket. With a BX24 you could have BH and mower mounted simultaneously so
4*you have an all purpose machine rather than waste time dorking around changing implements.
5*As someone who started with 20hp and moved to 40hp, I have first hand experience with the pros and cons. The 40 clearly does things I could not do with the 20 such as pull out a stump in a single motion with the much stronger loader. But, I was able to get the same stumps out 5 minutes later with the smaller tractor, it just took a little intelligence and time to replace the lost muscle. If I were in business I'd easily justify the bigger tractor but as a homeowner in this situation the smaller machine just makes a lot more sense. On the con side of big, consider costs and storage of bigger implements, heavier tractor to leave bigger ruts, inability to get into small spaces, being further away from what you are doing so being less accurate, more fuel per unit of work, more oil/tranny fluid costs at service time....the list could go on.
Here are some things you can do with a wimpy toy 20hp tractor. Match them with your spade and wheelbarrow.:D
1*I've never seen a put downer advocate a shovel and a wheelbarrow.
Guess it's ok 4 U but not for them.
2*Well stated.
3*I have 3 of them that supplement each other.

4*My anti dorking around changing implements Team
Team fuel.
5*Well put.

/ Just bought three acres, now what #35  
Nice mower and rent when you need the rest till you have a better idea what you want and need? I cut an acre and a half with a cheep riding mower till I got my Scut, its awful cheep to rent vs buy! Good luck, but whatever you buy --ride it first and be sure it fits ya!

/ Just bought three acres, now what #36  
Nice mower and rent when you need the rest till you have a better idea what you want and need? I cut an acre and a half with a cheep riding mower till I got my Scut, its awful cheep to rent vs buy! Good luck, but whatever you buy --ride it first and be sure it fits ya!

Its a matter of needs and wants. This man don't need a tractor... but perhaps he wants one.

I mowed a hilly 5 acres with a 5 hp 22" walk behind push style big wheel mower.

O.K. I admit it, my doctor told me to get some exercise and I had to cut the grass anyway. My neighbors thought I was nuts. At the time I had 2 Craftsman garden tractors with 44" and a 50" mower decks that only got used if the grass got away from me due to rain.

1.5 acres can be mowed with almost anything. I would suggest a Low end garden tractor, used for $500 to $800 along with a tow behind trailer for working in the woods for another $100. A shovel and a rake and a $200 chain saw should do just about anything you need to do on 3 acres.

If you want a tractor get something in the SCUT or CUT 20-25 hp range and be happy. It will be way more than you need but a man has got to have his toys.......

/ Just bought three acres, now what #37  
your reading into my post way to deep.. i really can do all i need to(minus arena grooming) with a wheelbarrow and shovel,that wasn't a knock on smaller tractors it was me admitting that i really dont need a tractor. i also love toys. like my plasma cutter, dump trailer,i've got any kind of air nailer you could want , and my tractor.heck im even gonna try to build one of those used oil burning heaters(ramona ca) not real cold here in winter. i guess vanity mostly was the cause for me to get the 1547. being 6'4 my knees hit on most stuff(gorilla riding a tricycle). i just went bigger until the wife and kids stopped laughing at me. well they never really stop laughing . jon

/ Just bought three acres, now what #38  
Steve C, that basically what I used for 10 years, a riding mower, chain saw, and a pull behind trailer. If I was 30 years old I would be using that setup today, but I'm 47 and it was starting to take a toll on my body. If all you did was mow and cut a little bit of fire wood, it works great. But even on 3 acres it seems like there are projects that a tractor makes alot easier. I admit mine is about 50% toy and 50% tool, but is sure makes life easier. My wife still thinks I'm out of my mind for spending that much money. My only regret is not buying one sooner.

/ Just bought three acres, now what #39  
Early in my "tractor" shopping, one salesman said "if you really have to justify one of these to buy it, you won't buy any brand". To some extent, I guess he had a point, but man is a tool using animal, and I sure like mine. The other day when I was on my garden tractor / riding mower collecting leaves, I was doing some math in my head as I rode around. ( Time to justify upgrading that beast) I have 13 acres with perhaps a bit over 3 acres that I finish mow. Now, it woudn't seem that I could "justify" spending much on that chore, and it certainly is no farm, but consider this. That much land means that I mow 50-60 acres once a year, or have mowed about 450 acres since I've owned this garden tractor, and perhaps nearly 1000 acres since I bought the land. Now tell someone to go mow a 55 acre field with a riding mower with a 48" mmm, and he will tell you that you are nuts. The bottom line is that even without a lot of land we spend a lot of time on our tractors, and if the land is at all rough like mine is, you need a pretty good machine to hold up to that kind of pounding (I've only recently been able to afford something to help smooth it out). I would guess that I've spent well over 2000 hours just doing the riding mower thing on my yard, and many more hours in my woods puttering at this, and that. This is the land that I care for, my playground, and sometimes my peace. I don't really need to justify the toys I use to play here.