Buying Advice Just buy the darn tractor

/ Just buy the darn tractor #32  
Don’t used machine prices track new MSRP to a certain extent? Used prices are typically a percentage of new sales price.
Used prices skyrocketed when the supply of new tractors dried up. That was supply/demand.

Still, I challenge anyone to post up ACTUAL MSRPs that decline. I wont hold my breath

/ Just buy the darn tractor #33  
That used to be true of guns also, but may not be the case in Canada.

With some very mentally incapacitated people in charge, I can clearly see the day where diesel engines will be legislated off the face of the earth.
You hear the rumblings from the green new deal types. They won’t quit until everything/anything with an exhaust pipe is confiscated or eliminated.
I wouldn’t want to be caught in the transition phase, where buyers of new electric equipment serve as guinea pigs to “test” it in real world conditions, but that’s coming in probably 5-10 years.

I feel very lucky to have lived at the apex of IC engines. They make more power on less fuel than ever. There’s still a nice mix of raw power if you like that or modern, clean, low emissions if you like that, too.

Leadership creating & shaping our future based on fear, emotion and unproven science.

Last edited:
   / Just buy the darn tractor #34  
With some very mentally incapacitated people in charge, I can clearly see the day where diesel engines will be legislated off the face of the earth.
You hear the rumblings from the green new deal types. They won’t quit until everything/anything with an exhaust pipe is confiscated or eliminated.
I wouldn’t want to be caught in the transition phase, where buyers of new electric equipment serve as guinea pigs to “test” it in real world conditions, but that’s coming in probably 5-10 years.

I feel very lucky to have lived at the apex of IC engines. They make more power on less fuel than ever. There’s still a nice mix of raw power if you like that or modern, clean, low emissions if you like that, too.

Leadership creating & shaping our future based on fear, emotion and unproven science.
Well said.
I have worked on, worked in and used diesel engines since I was a kid in school. Those produced in the recent decade or so are some of the most efficient and long life engines ever built. It is obvious to everyone except the government that there are severe limitations to all of the alternate powered vehicles and equipment produced today and likely in the next several years. I would not call it them "leaders" in any way, but they are certainly trying to drive the country in a direction that is seriously flawed.

/ Just buy the darn tractor #35  
They want you to own nothing. I'm not making that up, TPTB have come right out and said that. "You'll own nothing and be happy."

Diesel engines get work done. They simply work. Time to make them as complicated and expensive as possible...in order to make an alternative that doesn't work seem better or competitive.

/ Just buy the darn tractor #36  
I'm your age and last year I did almost 2 acres of fencing by myself, Pounding tposts by hand in Rockansas dirt, 20 or so 3 1/2 foot deep corner posts with a post hole digger. There were days I couldnt dig more than one hole. It took me 3 months to do. I hurt my arm, and my heel. It took over 6 months to recover. I will never do that again. Bought a tractor shortly there after and I will rent a t post driver for the next few acres we are doing this fall. Corner post will be done with my buddies skid steer and hydraulic auger. Getting too old and cant work like Im 25 anymore.
Even if you were 25, I'm not sure you could have done it. The dirt here is just to rocky. I can work hard all day long and, even disabled, can outwork most younger folks. That said, I tried digging 2 holes for posts for a gate using a post hole digger and rock pick and bruised my hands so badly I couldn't finish them. A month later, I'm thinking I'll just rent an auger.

Has nothing to do with age. Has everything to do with rocky and (at the time) very dry ground in our part of the country.

The trick, for me, has usually been to wait for a soaking rain and then dig those holes! Alternatively, I carry buckets of water to soak the ground, then dig, but it is not as effective as just waiting for rain.

/ Just buy the darn tractor #37  
Some people just want a place to live so they can enjoy life. Having to wait out a 10+ year cycle due to central banks is frustrating. One may be right, but the market will stay irrational longer than you expect, and even if you're "right", how much potential have you missed out on by waiting?

House prices may come down. Tractor prices may come down. But they also may not in a time-frame that makes sense for each of us. Personally I'm glad I bought my tractor when I did - I've gotten a ton of use and enjoyment out of it. I wish we'd bought/built our house earlier, but it was the right time in my life to do what I'm doing. And I'll get use and enjoyment out of it too, even if the "value" goes down. Life's too short for me to wait any longer.

Agree central banks shouldn't be setting interest rates - let the free market set the price of money.
I think the FOMO in the housing marked is quickly subsiding. With rates more than doubling in the last year or so, banks tightening lending and inflation. In 2018 I told my wife we either move now or be stuck for what could be decades. She thought I was crazy but thankfully she listened. We would be priced out of the market due to inflation and current mortgage rates. I felt the same way with our tractor. Glad we bought when we did. For one you never want to buy during inflation/recession. Its well known that cars built during the last 2006/09 recession are junk due to shrinkflation. With the price of commodities you are either going to pay more or the manufacturer is going to find ways of cutting corners.

Lumber is coming down but its still not close to 2000-2018 prices. Lumber - 2023 Data - 1978-2022 Historical - 2024 Forecast - Price - Quote - Chart With new housing start demand falling, supply and demand is working, energy cost and general inflation is what is keeping the prices elevated.

They tell you what they are going to do. Its part of their ethos. They tell you, you mention it, then you are called a conspiracy theorist. 15 minute cities, Agenda 2030, Own nothing and be happy.
Housing ..New houses in particular are not going to come down anytime soon. Builders have backed off spec builds due to high interest carry cost, Buy once a P&S is signed they go up. Problem is that the majority of home mortgages are in the 2-3% range and those people aren't trading out of those to get into a 7-8% note..So those homes aren't coming on the market. ..What iS going to happen is when the fed begins cutting rates.. And mortgages are back in the 5s... Prices are going to explode again.

/ Just buy the darn tractor #38  
Even if you were 25, I'm not sure you could have done it. The dirt here is just to rocky. I can work hard all day long and, even disabled, can outwork most younger folks. That said, I tried digging 2 holes for posts for a gate using a post hole digger and rock pick and bruised my hands so badly I couldn't finish them. A month later, I'm thinking I'll just rent an auger.

Has nothing to do with age. Has everything to do with rocky and (at the time) very dry ground in our part of the country.

The trick, for me, has usually been to wait for a soaking rain and then dig those holes! Alternatively, I carry buckets of water to soak the ground, then dig, but it is not as effective as just waiting for rain.
The number one reason I bought a backhoe....... and even that hits rocks too big to work out of the ground.

/ Just buy the darn tractor #39  
I sold one of my restored antique trucks and with the money bought a '72 JD 1020 and a new Diamond C LPX low profile trailer. The trailer was an impulse purchase, I had the money, the dealer had it and I decided to buy it. Sure is easy to load a tractor on it.

Attachments

• IMG_3151.JPG
    IMG_3151.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3150.JPG
    IMG_3150.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_3152.JPG
    IMG_3152.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 60
   / Just buy the darn tractor #40  
I wish I could remember who this deleted member was, it's driving me nuts.