Just checking in

/ Just checking in #11  
Hahaha... I have a sister that went to illinois wesleyan university back in the 70's. I distinctly remember someone had spray painted AB on the water tower. :rolleyes:

/ Just checking in #12  
You might want to upgrade to a suspension seat given some of your issues. I put a low profile one on my PT and wished I had done it sooner. I know some others have done it with more conventional suspension seats on the 425.

Ken

/ Just checking in
Thanks Spring, I was actually reading about your seat change last night. As far as head clearance goes with the canopy, having never seen one in person, hard to judge how much space there is. No issues with head clunking?

I like Moss' idea of welding in the helmet for a bit of leeway!

/ Just checking in #14  
I have never hit my head but I have the suspension adjusted to limit the amount of travel. I could remove the adjustable slide and get more travel since I never adjust it, leaving it set all of the way back. Others I believe have used more conventional suspension seat but I would be hitting my head if I did that. Carl did a simple setup using rubber doughnuts if I remember correctly - cheap, easy, and effective, I believe.

Ken

/ Just checking in #16  
I went through a long and deliberate debate between the 425 and the 1430. I looked at the heaviest things I need to routinely lift (a water tank) and was set on the 1430. I even took a trip to Tazwell, which convinced me of the diesel. So I set my mind to saving up my pennies, and in a year or so I would be able to purchase a brand spanking new 1430! Well, as plans have it, a used 425 with lots of attachments came up for auction fairly close to me and I ended up taking it home. I'm more than impressed with the 425. I have maxed out the lift capacity a few times, but have done so much more than I expected, and much quicker. I've trenched loads of drainage, moved mounds of gravel and dirt, installed scores of fence posts, dug out of more snow than I can think of this year, and moved all kinds of strange things with the forks. I've found that the front mount and quick attach mean that I am quicker to jump on the PT and tackle jobs that I would have procrastinated on, and I do everything about twice as quickly. I've had a few head scratchers getting a used PT all tuned up, but nothing much beyond the basics. I've definitely worked it very hard and have done things I never would have tried on a conventional tractor. Still wish I had the bigger diesel, but the 425 has changed my whole concept of how I tackle projects for the better.

Originally from Champaign, spent a lot of time in Bloomington - Welcome to the forum!

/ Just checking in
Thanks for the input Digger. I think I'm sold on the 425.

I called up the credit union at work today, assuming to get things in order, only to find out that they do not loan on tractors, lawn mowers, anything agricultural. That came as a total surprise to me since they list something along the lines of "cars, trucks, boats, RVs, golf carts, personal watercraft, etc." I've had all previous loans for vehicles through them so didn't even consider looking elsewhere. 1.99% automatic from my paycheck to me was a no-brainer.

I made the incorrect assumption that "etc." would encompass a tractor, but received a hard "no" from all reps I spoke with.

My expected 1.99% secured loan turned to an 8% personal loan. Boo.

I know that I'm not the only no-tractor-without-financing-guy on here. Anyone care to share any tips on finding a good rate on a tractor loan?

/ Just checking in #18  
We have a home equity line of credit. It is technically a mortgage. Our property taxes would normally be about $1200 per year, but we save about $600 per year on our home property taxes because we have a "mortgage" (home equity loan) homestead tax exemption. It cuts our property taxes about in half. We pay less than $600 on interest on the home equity loan annually (we never carry a large balance). We would have to pay those dollars to the county for taxes regardless, so we pay that money towards the interest on the equity loan instead and get to finance home improvement interest on the county's dime. :rolleyes: Its one of the only things we do where we feel we come out ahead of "the system". :laughing:

/ Just checking in
Unfortunately, my current situation doesn't really allow for the a HELOC. I said in my original post "recently purchased" the new home. That wasn't exactly accurate. We close on the new place July 29th but are not putting our current home on the market until this is 100% with keys in-hand. We've got a great place now and if this should fall through for any reason, then we don't want to move. Needless to say, we had to make some stretches financially to make this happen and I'm guessing the banker wouldn't be too keen on me taking an additional loan against the equity of the current house right now.

I might just have to wait until this process is all over and done with before I get to join the club, but in the meantime, I will see what I can come up with as far as outside financing.

Thanks for the input Moss

/ Just checking in #20  
Well, if that's not an option, you could always max out your credit cards..... :laughing: