Just Delivered Kioti CK20 Won't Go Uphill?

/ Just Delivered Kioti CK20 Won't Go Uphill? #21  
My DK50 has a lever on the left side of the seat with selections for Low Mid & High. Going up any significant incline, I usually use the M range. H is for making speed on flat ground.

Correct, but a CK20 only has Low and High, Unfortunatly it is missing the one in the Middle, where most of us stay most of the time. High on my DK35se is just for flat ground, road travel, Med is for most of the work, except when you want fine control of speed, or need more "grunt" then you want LOW. but on the CK20, I think you do most of your work in LOW, and High is for faster moving around on flatter ground. The dealer owes you an paper owners manual.. as you are going to have a hard time finding one for free.

James K0UA

/ Just Delivered Kioti CK20 Won't Go Uphill?
Excellent to know! My first order of business was to move a 2500 lb bale or wrapped hay about 1000 feet. Did it in a breeze! Extremely excited about this!

/ Just Delivered Kioti CK20 Won't Go Uphill? #23  
Excellent to know! My first order of business was to move a 2500 lb bale or wrapped hay about 1000 feet. Did it in a breeze! Extremely excited about this!

Good for you! Have fun. Are you sure about the weight?

/ Just Delivered Kioti CK20 Won't Go Uphill? #24  
I just purchased a Kioti CK20 with 322 hours. They just delivered it to me today, and when taking it for a spin on my property, it won't go up a hill? I approach the hill, get going up it and then the wheels just stop spinning. I am also in 4wd. Is there something I am missing, or some safety feature I need to turn off, or did they sell me a defective tractor? Very nervous about it, but honestly, I have no idea what I am doing, it's been 15 years since I drove one.

Thanks!
If you bought from a dealer, it is amazing that someone didn't show you at least the basic operations of the machine. I believe that I would have to insist that they provide a manual for me also. They should have done that as part of the deal anyway even if they didn't get one when the previous owner traded it in.
Someone posted the action needed when driving an HST but didn't elaborate about it much. In either range you select, to get more power to the wheels just press the HST pedal down a bit. The slower it travels the more power it has and the faster it goes the less power, so unlike a car when you want more power you push on the gas pedal, on HST you back off the pedal to increase power. This is assuming that you have applied full throttle.

/ Just Delivered Kioti CK20 Won't Go Uphill? #25  
Good for you! Have fun. Are you sure about the weight?

If so I'm calling the dealer so I can trade my DK40 back for the CK20 I traded in heh heh

Citizen, let us know in this thread if you can't find a manual. Your dealer should provide that for you.

There are 2 pedals, one on the left, and a larger pedal on the right. Which one is HST and when am I supposed to press it in? The one on the left is what I have been using for brakes...

The did show me basic operation of it when I was there, but I didn't have time to go over everything again when they delivered it today because I had an errand to run. Beginners mistake.

Wakey, no lie, i pushed that bale smooth sailing! I will call them tomorrow about paperwork and see if they the books. I really want the books!

/ Just Delivered Kioti CK20 Won't Go Uphill? #27  
There are 2 pedals, one on the left, and a larger pedal on the right. Which one is HST and when am I supposed to press it in? The one on the left is what I have been using for brakes...

The did show me basic operation of it when I was there, but I didn't have time to go over everything again when they delivered it today because I had an errand to run. Beginners mistake.

Wakey, no lie, i pushed that bale smooth sailing! I will call them tomorrow about paperwork and see if they the books. I really want the books!

OK.. The treadle pedal, also sometimes called a rocker pedal, rocks back and forth with your foot, that is the Hydrostat "go" pedal, If you rock it forward the tractor moves forward unless the range selector lever is in nuetral. If you rock it backwards, the tractor moves in reverse. OK.. Now above the treadle pedal/rocker pedal. on the same side, the right side of the tractor are twin brake pedals. They may or may not be pinned together to operate together or they may not have the bar that "pins" them together so that they operate seperately. I would suggest if they are not pinned together at this time, you should do so for now. Anyway those pedals are your brakes. You will seldom need them. The single pedal on the left is the clutch, you may .. note I said may. need to push it in to start the tractor or you may not. I am not familier enough with CK20hst operation to know. You would undoubtedly need to push it in before you engage the PTO (Power Take Off) lever to operate a rotary cutter or some other PTO operated implement. You may not have any of those, You might comment. anyway, you would push in the clutch, throttle down, engage the PTO lever and slowly let out the clutch and let the implement spin up, then increase the throttle to the 540 mark on the tachometer. You don't need to press on the clutch for any other operation, Not even changing ranges (LO to HI).. just make sure the treadle pedal/rocker pedal is centered, and the tractor is not moving to change ranges. Though pushing in the clutch will not do any harm, unless you are pointed downhill then be ready for the tractor to move suddenly due to gravity as you go into neutral. Have your foot on the brake pedals to prevent this.

You must have the treadle pedal figured out, our you would not have been able to move the tractor.

What the other posters were trying to say about pressing on the HST or treadle pedal, was when the tractor is bogging down, engine wise you need to increase the hand throttle and if it cannot maintain the set engine speed, and the RPM starts to drop, let off of the treadle pedal which will slow your ground speed some, but allow the engine RPM to increase back up into the "torque band" of the engine. The HST pedal is not a "fuel" pedal, it does not make more engine speed, it controls the hydrostatic transmission. I don't want to go into "guts" of what is happening inside when you press on that pedal, but suffice it to say it isnt the "gas" pedal. So if the engine "boggs down" let off of the pedal a bit, and also increase the hand throttle within reason. Good Luck.

James K0UA

/ Just Delivered Kioti CK20 Won't Go Uphill? #28  
dip stick for hydro oil is on left side in front of seat. filler is by seat also. Small pedal below 2 and 4 wheel drive lever is to lock the rear end. Clutch should be required to be down for engine to turn over. Any other questions post here or send me a message.

K0UA, thank you so much for such an informative post. I do have the treadle pedal figured out as I have been operating the tractor. I do to have a use for the clutch right now, but may in the future, and I do indeed have to push it down to start the tractor.

The brake pedals are pinned together, and I haven't had to really use them yet, but I am sure I will on the hilly property. I am hopefully going to have a neighbor come over and show me a little bit more about it so that I can feel safe and comfortable driving it.

I have noticed the engine "bog" when I don't have the throttle on high a little bit, and I was able to figure out how to correct it by increasing the amount of throttle.

I did find the hydro oil cap, but there is no dipstick, and there is no way for me to tell if it needs more. If anyone can elaborate on this it would be great. I don't feel comfortable just pouring more in unless I know when to stop pouring.

Thanks so much guys!

/ Just Delivered Kioti CK20 Won't Go Uphill? #30  
Can someone post a picture of the Hydraulic fluid dipstick for the CK20 Hydrostat.?