Just got a ZD326S

/ Just got a ZD326S #11  
Interesting post. I have 1.4 hours on my new Z326-P Kubota. I wanted the 72inch cut for a big place here that I mow and keep nice, tired of the old Cub Cadet 42 incher taking hours to mow. I looked at quite a few mowers, being uneducated about zero turns. But the workmanship of the Kubota, massive and HD deck, the seemingly strong 31 horse diesel engine, the strength of a dealer that has been close by for over 50 years, (they have 6 stores in the state) made my mind up to go Kubota. Not chump change to buy one of these, but life is short, a man needs a few adult toys before it ends.

/ Just got a ZD326S #12  
Ok what's it for?

Open the hood and look down in front of the radiator. Between the radiator and seat. There's a gray plate held down by two knobs. I thought it was an access plate. Took off the knobs and it's a plate of steel.

Anyone know what it's for? I don't remember seeing any referance for it in the owners manual and will stop by the dealer to see what it is.

/ Just got a ZD326S #13  
I stopped by the Kubota dealer and they did not have a clue what the panel was for.

Anyone else have an idea?

/ Just got a ZD326S #14  
Hi, have a 326P, been doing maintenance and having a heck of a time getting to the grease fittings on the drive shaft. One is under the floor panel, but very hard to get your grease gun on, I finally did with much work. Another in the engine compartment may be easier to get to once I change out the screw on filter, but no luck without removing that. The middle one is under a metal bar that apprears to be part of the frame, I have no idea on how to start to get to that one. Has anyone had any luck getting to these 3 grease fittings? The rest of the fittings on the 326 are easily accessible.

/ Just got a ZD326S #15  
OK, I found out what the plate is for. It hold down the plastic cover.

Plastic cover you say? When I removed the plate it looked like the frame to me. But once you remove the plate you can reach down and the whole piece under the plate is a thin plasic cover. Move it up from the seat to the radiator and you will see an access hole so you can grease the U-joint that goes into the engine. I haven't tried greasing the mower yet as it has 5 hours on it but will this weekend and I'll see how it is for me.

On page 57 of the owners manual there's a pic of the grease point and you can see the two knobs in it. Doesn't say a thing about remove the knobs, remove the metal plate and lift up on the plasic cover for access to grease the rear of the shaft.

Just amazed that the dealer didn't know what it was for. Mystery solved:)

/ Just got a ZD326S #16  
Greg, nice work on figuring that one out. Haven't had a chance to give it a try on my 326 yet but I'm sure that is what I was missing. It does make me wonder how a dealer wouldn't know how to reach the zerks to grease the mower....

/ Just got a ZD326S #17  
You mean I'm missing greasing a zerk. Three on the drive shaft is all I was aware of. BTW I greased mine just this morning, and I call the dealer about that plate....they did not have a clue what it was for. I need to check that in the morning.

Beal13, I've found I have to rotate the drive shaft with a pair of channel locks to get the zerks positioned right to get the grease gun on it.

/ Just got a ZD326S #18  
I've had a ZD 1800 for almost three years now and am as happy with it as the first day I bought it. 170 hrs and no issues. I change all fluids and filters yearly and I'm on my third set of blades. I keep two sets of blades and normally rotate and re-sharpen them about every 25 ours, always checking that there is not so much wear that "out of balances" the blades. Great mower.

/ Just got a ZD326S #19  
jcummings, on my 326, i have a zerk on both front wheels, and one in the front, mid way between the wheels, but underneath the floor board. I also have one on each side of the mower deck, you have to unhook the black plastic on each side of the mower deck and lift it off a bit and you'll see a zerk on each side. So at least 8 total counting the 3 you know about. I can't remember if that was all or not but if I remember any more i'll repost.

/ Just got a ZD326S #20  
jcummins, I rotated the saft with a small screw driver in the u-joint. The shaft the goes to the engine was a bit hinky trying to get it rotated to use the access port when you remove the plate and pull up the plastic cover. First I tried kneeling on the seat and bumping the motor but it never ended in the right spot. I finally use the screw driver method to slowly turn it so I could get to them.

I'm amazed the dealers don't know what the plates are for and that's there's an access hole under the plastic.

Greased mine for the first time this weekend. I'm still amazed at the amount of power and suction the machine has. Have to be real careful to watch what your running over as it will get sucked up and thrown out. Or in my case got to close to a plastic tarp that was laying on the ground. Thought I cleared it but just an edge got under the deck and Wham! wound it up. Had to jack the mower to get it out. DOUGH :ashamed: