Just have to vent

/ Just have to vent #1  

CSAW

Silver Member
Tractor
tc-35 fwd 16la fel,hd bucket, folding ROPS, Deluxe hitch
First of all I am on the plastic side of the plastic vs. metal argument when it comes to tractor hoods and fenders. However, the price of this piece of plastic has my blood boiling. I have a John Deere stx38 lawn mower that my son broke the hood on. This type of plastic should in no way be confused with the type used on full size tractors. It is very brittle and thin. (It shattered) That is still not the big problem. The real problem is the $195.00 for a new one. This piece should be about $15.00-$20.00. So now I will be riding a mower with no hood and will never buy another one. Sorry if I sound bitter but I am.

/ Just have to vent #2  
Chuck --

JD does have the reputation for gouging on parts replacement. I've experienced the same with my 111 and 425. In regard to the hood, you might want to look in local classifields or the yahoo club forums. In the latter, I've seen people buying and selling hoods for alot less than the $195 your JD dealer is quoting.

Regards,
Bob Ancar
Cambridge, NY

/ Just have to vent #3  
<font color=red>First of all I am on the plastic side of the plastic vs. metal argument when it comes to tractor hoods and fenders. </font color=red>

Sounds like you are changing over to the metal side./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I have to say I like the metal better. I little dent can just be popped out, instaid of replicing the whole hood.

/ Just have to vent #4  
Metal or plastic????

Maybe each have their own place.

I do know the plastic body panels on my 15 year old car are not rusted and do take some bangs without denting.
My plastic canoe, which is even older , sits outside all the time, has been in freefall slide for a hundred feet down a riverbank approaching vertical and has suffered nummerous hits from grounding or going around rocks and still looks new.

Egon

/ Just have to vent #5  
Don't blame you a bit. It's not just Deere, though.

You might try finding a little cost relief by posting a "Wanted" ad here. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DeereGTClassifieds/>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DeereGTClassifieds/</A>.

I'm guessing your son has learned a lesson.../w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif

Good luck

/ Just have to vent #6  
I hope the canoe was unoccupied during that freefall slide /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif !

/ Just have to vent #7  
"Plastic" is a braod-based term that encompasses many different types of polymeric compounds (just as "metal" or "steel" are generic terms).

Unfortunately, the hoods on the older series Deere are made of ABS. This plastic is not the best choice for exterior equipment that is exposed to the elements and must also be flexible, chemical (gas, oil) resistant, and have impact resistance. Also, ABS does not have the best exterior durability and fades fairly rapidly outdoors. ABS was commonly used by lawn/garden equipment manufacturers on their "first generation" plastic parts. Among others, Deere still uses it on their cheaper Scotts and Sabre machines. These days, most premium manufacturers (including Deere) have been using Xenoy as the plastic of choice. This polymeric alloy is more flexible (especially at lower temperatures), more chemical/solvent resistant, and has much better impact resistance. Also, Xenoy is much more resistant to UV degradation (i.e. sunlight) and manufacturers are able to blend the color into the plastics. (Most - not all- ABS units were painted).

ABS is best suited for interior applications, while Xenoy is a much better choice for the requirements of the L/G industry.

Unfortunately, plastics tend to me more expensive than their metal counterparts: he trade-off for lighter weight and streamlined design.

P.S.
I frequent the knife forums and these guys are as adamant about the different grades of steel as the polymer guys are about plastic composites!

/ Just have to vent #8  
CSAW,
I mowed the biggest part of a season without a hood and found that the hood helped keep dirt and grass clippings away from the engine. I agree that you should look elsewhere like the links that have been given, also I have seen hoods and fenders for Deere on Ebay several times. Good Luck
Rich...

/ Just have to vent #9  
Oh Oh

Looks like Glue Guy has a nemesis here.

Could this be the battle of the non-metallic guys here??????

/ Just have to vent #10  
Look! here comes "Composit Man" He is my hero!

/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif