Just how good is 4 wheel drive

/ Just how good is 4 wheel drive #1  

thoner7

Silver Member
Tractor
to-20 Ferguson and Kubota m5400 with Quickie loader
I've never had the luxury of owning a 4x4 tractor, but I assume it must be the cat's meow. My truck is a totally different beast when the 4x4 is engaged. It's gotta make a huge difference on a tractor too, I'd imagine.

With 2 wheel drive and a loader, it's nearly impossible for me to reverse up hill. I'm always getting stuck in little gofer holes and ditches. Muddy slopes? Not a chance. I even slide down hills in gear when mowing a steep section of my property.

How much does 4x4 change your life?? Let's hear some stories from the other side.

/ Just how good is 4 wheel drive #2  
It's about the same difference as your pickup. Go. Or no go.

/ Just how good is 4 wheel drive #3  
Probably more difference than your truck makes. Reversing up a hill is probably the biggest difference but it’s a game changer all around.

/ Just how good is 4 wheel drive #4  
Just unloaded 4 pallets of pellets (2,000 lb per pallet) with the Kubota. Even with the rotary mower on the 3 point in the back, I couldn't back up the tractor without engaging the front tires. All that weight up front on the forks - the rear tires just spun.

/ Just how good is 4 wheel drive #5  
I would not have a tractor without 4wd! It makes that much difference for loader work and ground engaging tools. There are several implements that have a different HP rating for 2 wd and a lower one for 4 wd so you can think of it as a power boost. Just be aware though that if you get a 4wd tractor stuck, you're really stuck.

/ Just how good is 4 wheel drive #6  
Descending a hill in 2 WD with a loaded bucket can get very dicey if the rear wheels break traction...it can happen even with loaded rears and ballast...once it's free wheeling there are no brakes...

/ Just how good is 4 wheel drive #7  
4wd helps, but I have areas of silt (runoff) where I can still spin all four wheels without going anywhere.

/ Just how good is 4 wheel drive #8  
I would not have a tractor without 4wd! It makes that much difference for loader work and ground engaging tools. There are several implements that have a different HP rating for 2 wd and a lower one for 4 wd so you can think of it as a power boost. Just be aware though that if you get a 4wd tractor stuck, you're really stuck.

Been there done that. Once I got the Mahindra stuck and pulled it out with the 4Runner which got stuck and pulled it out with the Mahindra. By then everything was on solid enough ground. :)

That's why you need a good long chain and a 4WD truck / SUV or, better yet, another 4WD tractor. :laughing:

/ Just how good is 4 wheel drive #9  
I have been in 4 WD and spinning like crazy in 2 situations. On rutted wet high clay ground and in a cattle corral after a heavy rain. That said, I only use my 2 WD on flay dry ground if at all possible.

/ Just how good is 4 wheel drive #10  
My first tractor was 2WD, turf tires with a belly mower. There were times that it wouldn't do gentle hills on damp grass. However, with tire chains it would clear snow like a 4WD. Next 4 were all 4WD. Last 3 tractors had loaders and 4WD has often been needed to fill the bucket.