Just how snug?

/ Just how snug? #11  
PS:
If you have to pound it on there that hard, how much good do you think the shear pin will do you when you hit something? Also, the more we put up with that kind of quality control, the more manufacturers will try to get away with it. Before long, everything we buy will have to be repaired before we can use it.

/ Just how snug? #12  
Danny,
It will still shear the pin. I've had them go and spin the shaft off and still have to pound it back on.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ Just how snug? #13  
401-0007-01-g.gif

{Snap Ring is item 412-7978}

At the gearbox input shaft end... look closely... there should be a snap ring/retainer ring/circlip in place...

Snap this ring off, scrap off the paint on the shaft... the PTO yoke should slip on... install the "shear bolt", then snap the retainer ring back on the end of the shaft.

The snap ring prevents the PTO driveshaft coming off @ 540 rpm when the shear bolt breaks...

18-48044-JFM3BW5205SigFile.JPG

/ Just how snug?
I had already removed the snap ring. I am going to try and clean up the inside of the shaft a little more. thanks for all the help folks.

/ Just how snug? #15  
gws
I just fit one of those the other day. They had not deburred the groove for the snap ring or the drilled hole for the shear pin. After removing the paint, I lightly filed the burrs off then sanded with a real fine sandpaper. This will allow you to see the "high spots" as to push them together with a slight twisting motion. As it was on this particular one, no additional work was necessary because it slid right together/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.A quick cleanup and shot of oil and it was working.
regards
Mutt

/ Just how snug?
Well I finally got it on. After hammering and trying to get it on I gave up and took the shaft back to TSC. They replaced it without any question or reciept. Took that one home, deburred the paint, applied a little grease and it slid on with a few light taps.

/ Just how snug? #17  
Hammering on anything connected to a roller bearing is just asking for trouble with the bearing down the road. Roller bearings are not good at taking shock loads when not rotating.