Just Purchased 135

/ Just Purchased 135 #1  

F6pilot

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 135 Diesel
I just made my first tractor purchase and joined this forum to learn. It spent most of its life outside so the sheetmetal is a little rough on the surface but nothing is rusted through. It appears to be in pretty good shape mechanically, cranks immediately and runs smooth, no smoke, hydraulics lift slow but hold perfectly. The list of items needed include paint of course, tires, fluid changes, check and repair all wiring for the tach, headlights, and fuel gauge.

I located several charts to determine year but need help deciphering the serial number which is SDW641018169. Reading the various charts, I read it could be anything from a 1966 to 1973 depending on how its read. Pictures of the various years have not helped at all.

I would appreciate some input on the year and look forward o learning more about this machine.

IMG_5933.JPG

/ Just Purchased 135 #2  
Welcome to TBN...enjoy.
Good to see yesterday's being kept alive. (y)
Maybe tractordata.com has info to help.

/ Just Purchased 135
Thank you Thomas. I visited Tractordata and if I read the chart correctly it would be a '66. However, every image I find of a '66 has the headlights in front as part of the grill as seen below.

That being the case, I guess this post needs to be moved to the vintage subforum. lol

1614478377302.png

1614478617588.png

/ Just Purchased 135 #4  
Thank you Thomas. I visited Tractordata and if I read the chart correctly it would be a '66. However, every image I find of a '66 has the headlights in front as part of the grill as seen below.

That being the case, I guess this post needs to be moved to the vintage subforum. lol

View attachment 688032

View attachment 688033
From the Tractor Data numbers you post, your tractor is definitely a 1966 build.
Headlights may have been modified.

/ Just Purchased 135
Yeah, it looks like all of the sheetmetal has potentilly been swapped. The hood is different as well.

/ Just Purchased 135 #6  
F6Pilot: you said you visited Tractordata and if you read the chart correctly it would be a '66. However, every image you found of a '66 has the headlights in front as part of the grill as seen [in your picture.]

Notice that picture you posted is from the UK, a European model with grillwork and all. So stop looking at European pictures... I'm just kidding! I've seen a lot of 135's and NONE had the headlights in the grille like that European picture. Yours is a classic good old US of A machine. They were certainly workhorses. I do not know your plans for utilizing the machine so maybe you should expound a little on that and this talkative group will be full of ideas and suggestions. I believe the 135 had a live PTO which runs until you go all the way down on the clutch? Maybe even a ground-speed PTO? I do not own one. If you plan to do any sickle bar work, the mid-side mount "Dyna-balance" mower was said to be one of the best designs ever. Allowed mowing at lots of angles up and down, etc. I still see them advertised in sale papers, etc.

Is this one gas or diesel?

Let us know where you are, etc. too as we are at very least nosy and sometimes even helpful. TBN just updated their format last night. There should be an "about" section with your account with places for where you are and what machines you have, etc.

Welcome and good luck for sure.

/ Just Purchased 135
Ha, well apparently those Europeans are the only ones posting pictures. LOL I will keep digging.

My plans are simple, maintain/cut around 7 acres to keep from destroying my zero turn. You are correct, this one has a two stage PTO, half way down with the clutch to stop motion, all the way down to disengage PTO. I will look into the sickle bar as it would be great for cutting a ditch line. This is the Perkins diesel

I am in Tennessee and will update that information in my profile.

/ Just Purchased 135 #8  
Ah. Tks. for the info. That Perkins is good hardware, reliable, lasts forever. If it gets to that stage, they are very rebuildable. I have a Perkins diesel in my 2011 MF 2660 and it is the gold standard in my opinion. AGCO went to their own 3 cyl engines a few years ago on the Masseys which I think was a big mistake but that is business.

That bush hog will go a long ways to keeping your 7 acres down to Zero-turn suitable. Sharp blades are the answer on the hog. Some bolts holding on the stump jumper and the blades to the stump jumper require large torque. Good idea to find a manual on the thing. Any sickle bar requires a lot more upkeep than the rotary mower.

/ Just Purchased 135 #9  
Congratulations on your purchase. I bought a 135 almost 15 years ago and have loved it. Other than cosmetic differences, my 69 model looks exactly like yours.

/ Just Purchased 135
Ah. Tks. for the info. That Perkins is good hardware, reliable, lasts forever. If it gets to that stage, they are very rebuildable. I have a Perkins diesel in my 2011 MF 2660 and it is the gold standard in my opinion. AGCO went to their own 3 cyl engines a few years ago on the Masseys which I think was a big mistake but that is business.

That bush hog will go a long ways to keeping your 7 acres down to Zero-turn suitable. Sharp blades are the answer on the hog. Some bolts holding on the stump jumper and the blades to the stump jumper require large torque. Good idea to find a manual on the thing. Any sickle bar requires a lot more upkeep than the rotary mower.

As you stated, the diesel is the standard and really the only way to go. Rebuild kits are cheap and hopefully it will last a while before it needs to come apart. The hog is a little rough but serviceable. The center hub is pretty rusty and the wheel hub is busted but the gear box feels solid. I will replace parts and get it operable once I figure out the brand and model. There are no tags or anything to properly identify.

Congratulations on your purchase. I bought a 135 almost 15 years ago and have loved it. Other than cosmetic differences, my 69 model looks exactly like yours.

Thank you. I hope to get the cosmetics addressed promptly after ensuring the mechanicals/fluids are in order. A cheap spray gun from Harbor Freight and some Rustoleum will do the trick.