Just purchased a new GR2120 diesel . Now the pros and cons on this tractor

/ Just purchased a new GR2120 diesel . Now the pros and cons on this tractor #1  

jetblue4400

Tractor
Kubota Bx2200
The GR2120 diesel is new as last week .With tax NY state , I paid $10109.00 .
I have had two Kubota tractors before a BX2200 and now a 2011 BX 2660 which both were bought new.
I just recently had a zero turn 1998 Grasshopper with the Kubota 21 Hp diesel engine in this with a 60 inch deck. This was a good unit for several years and in great shape with all the manuals but for some reason I cleaned it up and sold it on craigslist in one day to a guy in youngstown ,ohio for $3800.00. So now I needed to buy a new lawn tractor and was leaning toward a John deere 5 series or maybe a 7 series. with a efi engine . I bought my first two kubotas through the same dealer and have known the main technician who works only on kubotas for the last 20 years so I talked to him first because they also sell cub cadet and gravely higher end tractors. He said the new cubs have lots of maintenance on them and His choose would be a Diesel GR2120 even though the cost is high.
I drove the gr on the parking lot grounds for about 15 minutes and with the glide steer and the diesel engine seemed like I had a zero turns tractor with lots of power and great steering. All the issues with the bearings in the transmissions and others with the brake he said had been resolved so not to worry about those issues which were in the earlier versions.And also on both my compact kubota tractors I have never had them in the shop for anything and I performed my own maintenance . Now as we all know the warranty is for 2 years and thats ok with me because I never had a problem with the other bx series I have had. The 500 series john deere which has a good rating has a 4 or 5 year 750 hour warranty which I thought was great. The problem I had in my mind with the 500 series deere was that it had a drive belt instead of a drive shaft and I thought paying around $8000.00 for a lawn tractor with out direct drive versus a belt was to much money.
Oh, I never drove the John deere 500 series which i should have to get a comparison of comfort , cutting ,and engine performance. Both dealers have a area you can make a few passes for cutting.
With the Kubota I would have to go way in the back of the dealer and on a small hill which I did not do ,Just drove it in the parking lot.

Now with the Pros and cons on this Gr2120

When they delivered the tractor and left .I got on the tractor and rode it around the property for a short time. The first thing I noticed was you needed almost two hands to move the throttle up or down but a little lube spray under the throttle linkage they have a locking nut ,sprayed that and that solved the problem. No big deal there. The next thing I noticed at least on my property the ride was really bumpy even with with the seat suspension knob under in front of the seat adjusted.It did not seem to help at all. The manual calls for the front tire pressure to be 24psi and the rears 22Psi and those pressures were correct. so I lowered the the fronts to 17 psi and rears to 15 and this helped a little without cupping the tires.
The other problem i noticed right away was When I get off the seat I put my left hand on the fender to get off the tractor . When I did this i felt the fender give a lot and I only weigh 155lbs.
I looked under the cub holder assembly and there is no support for the fender if you happen to put you left hand on to get off. its awkward for me to get off a tractor without supporting my self on something other than the steering wheel or rear tire. I than checked out a cheap craftsman ,cub cadet and husky and I will say they all had better support of the rear left fender when getting off.
Another thing that was troubling was that the hood has no rubber bumper guards under the hood or on the black plastic instrument case and without rubber bumpers on either its wears gouges in the black instrument case where the hood touches in several spots . All other manufactures much cheaper units all have rubber guards on the hood to prevent this from causing these gouges to happen. Another point that seems 20 years behind the time is that the headlamps are the old Incandescent lamps #1156 and not leds. These lamps will operate on 12VAC or 12Vdc and At about 12.5 vdc they each draw a current of about 2.1 amps and get very hot .Now There is a exact replacement led ,socket being the same and at 12.5vdc draws about 240MA one tenth the current draw of the original 1156 lamp and don't get hot. With this amount of heat which the old incandescent produces it it likely after a period of time if used a lot that the clear plastic headlight housing will discolor and turn yellow after time. Also the output dc voltage charging the battery and to the headlamps varies with the throttle rpm . For a example at idle the dc voltage will be about 12.5 volts dc and at full throttle will be 14.5 vdc. You would think they would install a regulator to make sure the charging voltage is the same. forward speed is 62.mph any faster might throw you off the tractor on a rough surface. Only a snowblower and grass collection system avail.

Pros
Great diesel engine
wonderful zero turn like steering
All wheel drive.,Just great on Hills
Great on fuel

Cons
Rough ride on uneven surfaces
Headlamps are over 30 years old,no leds
No support for left fender when getting off tractor
No hood rubber protection mounds
Charging system is not a 12 vdc regulated system
Light duty ball hitch mount bracket
Seat suspension adjust seems useless
High cost of tractor and few implements

Note: The exact replacement led lamps are Part: GRV Ba 15s 1156 1154 high power car led bulb 102-3528 SMD DC 12V super bright cool white pack of 2
Amazon $9.88
I put my own hood bumpers on
I make up my own support bracket mounted under the left fender and the bracket mounted to the frame.
If anyone wants some info on how to built the fender bracket email me rrwitt@verizon.net

The above article is only my thoughts on this tractor and many of you may think I'am to critical of this tractor but for 25 year owner of a kubota I thought the quality would be better
for this amount of money. Note :The salesman told me the price of the tractor went up last year because of the cost of steel going up .Maybe that is why the fender is to thin.

Finally I should have checked out the John deere 500 and 700 series more.

Please reply to all of the above and tell me your thoughts.

/ Just purchased a new GR2120 diesel . Now the pros and cons on this tractor #2  
That is a very thorough review, thanks. You make some good points.

/ Just purchased a new GR2120 diesel . Now the pros and cons on this tractor #3  
I have had my GR2120 since 2013, purchased new, it is a good machine for me. The snowblower is a beast. The lights never bothered me, only use them at night blowing snow, give off good light, and maybe the heat keeps ice from forming on them. Never noticed the fender issue, maybe I get off a different way. At low idle (750 rpm) I noticed a vibration from the 3 cylinder engine (very common for 3 cylinder engines) so I increased the low idle to 1800 rpm. I have disabled the reverse mower awareness switch. I added a real Racor fuel filter and water separator. There is a front blade available for the GR machines as well. Enjoy! Philip.

/ Just purchased a new GR2120 diesel . Now the pros and cons on this tractor
I checked the Rpm on this new gr2120 and at idle is 1700 Rpm and at full throttle is 3490 Rpm.Also they may have made the 2013 tractor fender a little more thicker in there metal. It seems that on all newer lawn tractors
the engine technology (efi) and transmissions and cutting process has improved but the mechanical structure has lessened because of the cost of metal has increased and the plastics have gone down, reducing the weight and fuel costs to operate. Here are some pictures of the lights and etc.
IMG_6701 (Medium).JPGIMG_6700 (Medium).JPGIMG_6697 (Medium).JPGIMG_6748 (Medium).JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6726 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_6726 (Medium).JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 433
   / Just purchased a new GR2120 diesel . Now the pros and cons on this tractor #5  
I may have to look at those LED bulbs now, I like the 'whiter' glow. They would match the LED light on my snow blower. I added 'diesel' and '4WD' stickers to mine as well ;)

Attachments

• light01.jpg
    light01.jpg
    612.5 KB · Views: 491
  • DSCN0017.jpg
    DSCN0017.jpg
    1,007.1 KB · Views: 1,437
  • racor02.jpg
    racor02.jpg
    643.6 KB · Views: 644
   / Just purchased a new GR2120 diesel . Now the pros and cons on this tractor #6  
Does the GR2120 have a differential lock?

Is the GR2120 full time 4 wheel drive or all wheel drive?

/ Just purchased a new GR2120 diesel . Now the pros and cons on this tractor #7  
Does the GR2120 have a differential lock?

Is the GR2120 full time 4 wheel drive or all wheel drive?
'

It does not have a differential lock.

It is full time all wheel drive, but it is called glide steer. It is basically full time front wheel drive. When the front wheels are straight, the rears are locked, as the front wheels turn, the inside rear wheel goes from 100% drive to 0% drive dependent on the angle of the front wheels. There is a good description and chart on Kubota's website on how this works.

/ Just purchased a new GR2120 diesel . Now the pros and cons on this tractor
No its has not got differential lock and it is AWD and one of the best things is the Glide steer ,almost like a zero turns .
Here are some pictures of support bracket I made for the left fender.
Also there is a site on the internet that sells a grille brush guard and I had called about it and he said if he had a few more orders he would start making them again.
The site is called" Heritage Machine works INC" AND Steve is the owner.It looks great and would sell for $249.00 plus shipping. He put me on his list. Check the grille out.
Now the pictures
IMG_6741 (Medium).JPGIMG_6740 (Medium).JPGIMG_6736 (Medium).JPGIMG_6732 (Medium).JPGIMG_6726 (Medium).JPG