Just Wondering

/ Just Wondering #11  
Top link would be handy. I dont think I could justify side link with no more dirt work than I do. Mostly I need level on the lift arms and I think the side link would be a bear to keep the lift arms adjusted level. NOW the top link would be a really good investment for ME as it is always needed tweaked a bit. I will have to look into that if I ever get to stay home long enough to actually use my tractor a bit. Would be really handy to just move the 3rd arm when hooking up to attach the pin then adjust as needed for operation of whatever you are hooked on to. May as well put one of those 3 remotes to work.

/ Just Wondering #12  
Gary,
It was me. It makes sense to some people that's why they have them. They also have those splitters on the front of skidsteers. My brother has one of those and he likes it because he can sit in his cab and split wood on his behind. I think 3-pt splitters make decent sense in a sub-compact or compact but I believe the person I was responding too had a U5030 which is 57 hp running a log splitter. If you got that machine why not bring the tree to the log splitter? You can do anything but to me when diesel is $4 a gallon why run 57hp to do a job a 5 hp machine can do?

What makes the most sense for me in an electric log splitter. I can bring the big chunks up near the furnace and fire it up in the dead of winter if I want to without any issue. I have an outdoor gasification furnace though so I don't do much splitting.

/ Just Wondering #13  
Well I was wondering what to use my remotes for. I have had my tractor for a year and haven't used them at all, I don't even know if they work. Comming from the old school tractors a ford Jubilee and an 841 that didn't have remotes I have always just made due without. I still have the tractors but I am wondering why.
I know this is an LS forum and all I have is a Montana but the lable on the frame says LS so here I am.
What do you guys mean when you talk about using the remotes for the top link?

/ Just Wondering #15  
Now that's cool! Boy could I have used that when I was younger and we farmed, that is if we had remote hydraulics on our old tractors that is.

Ok another question. How do other posters get the little information blurb at the bottoms of there posts like there tractor and toy information. I am sure they don't type it each time its always the same!

/ Just Wondering #16  
Ok another question. How do other posters get the little information blurb at the bottoms of there posts like there tractor and toy information. I am sure they don't type it each time its always the same!

Click on "My Home" near the top of the page. Then look at the options in the list on the left. That stuff is set up in your profile, specifically "Edit Signature".:)

/ Just Wondering #18  
Ok lets see if my signature works out.

That picture is worth a thousand words. I really like the idea i'll have to see if I can find one, not because I need one but because I want one I can figure out what to do with it latter LOL.

/ Just Wondering
Looks like a real slick and simple install. How does it work? Have you noticed it saves you time behind the tractor and you make adjustments you would have not stopped and performed before.? Looks exactly like I thought it might. I might paint it LS blue or maybe black.

HS

/ Just Wondering #20  
Looks like a real slick and simple install. How does it work? Have you noticed it saves you time behind the tractor and you make adjustments you would have not stopped and performed before.? Looks exactly like I thought it might. I might paint it LS blue or maybe black.

HS

You are exactly right -- yes, it was simple to install and has saved me tons of time when swapping out implements. It makes it so easy to "tweak" the position, or to totally change it when the landscape changes (say when using the cutter around a pond embankment.)

It works great. I bought my S3010 with a 5' box blade and cutter. Changing out between the two was a super pain, so I got a Harbor Freight 3-point quick hitch WITH THE TOP LINK ADAPTER. (You can search TBN for more info on it.) The quick hitch helped a lot for fast change outs, but then adjusting the top link became next biggest pain.

I shopped around and ended up going with Carter & Carter Machinery (the link that "mwb" posted above) due to their cylinders having "check valves" plus the excellent selection and documentation on how to pick the right stuff. Bought the top link cylinder & hose kit from them. Here's the original quote I got via email:

"Toplink 18-26.5"- $185 Hose kit $45 & $15 freight"

That's everything I needed. The hose kit came with the Pioneer-type 1/2" male couplers to hook up to the rear remotes. The only problem I had was they quoted me $15 for shipping, but charged me $20. (When I emailed and asked why I never got a response back. Not a "deal-breaker," but is annoying nonetheless.)

Note: I used teflon tape on the threads to connect the hoses to the cylinder. I've heard many say that's NOT cool because it can clog up stuff and cause damage. I haven't had any problems with my hydraulics, but I've used teflon pipe dope for the rest of my hydraulic enhancements.