juvenile boot camps

/ juvenile boot camps
That's fine, when you throw a question out there, you have to expect a few back. No I'm not single, but I do spend more time with Jake than his dad, he works 60 miles away and is usually out and back in at dark. They hunt together and lots of other stuff when time permits.

/ juvenile boot camps #32  
Cindi,

Don't do the boot camp, or any wilderness camp or anything similar. I would have to dig out all of my research to give you the names of the studies, but these types of camps do not work. The problem is that when a teenager returns from one of these camps the same old environmental stimuli that caused the problem behavior(s) is still there. In a nutshell, behavior that gets us what we want will be repeated, and behavior that does not get us what we want or gets us punished will not likely be repeated.

Some studies that I've read have shown that teenagers would rather be beaten than ignored. I'm not saying that's what happens at your place, it just illustrates the power of parent/teenager time. Also, the biggest indicator of juvenile delinquency is unsupervised time.

Without hearing the whole situation it would be hard to make a specific reccomendation. In general, follow the 3 C's of childrearing. Communicate the rules; Communicate the consequences of breaking the rules (and following them for that matter); and be consistent in enforcement of the rules.

Poor school performance is usually indicative of two things. A learning disability and/or lack of reinforcement. I personally hated high school and never took a book home and did just fine grade wise. Teacher's have too many students to be able to help the individuals. I personally hated physics, math, chemistry, etc. until I realized how it all interacted in motors and machinery. In other words, when it was reinforcing (made me happy), then I enjoyed learning physics.

Hope this does not come across as preachy. I am no expert, but I do have experience in the area.

Clint.

/ juvenile boot camps
Well, he really enjoys hunting, and he does it well, follows the rules. He knows one step out of line and he loses all priviledges. He's out in the shed right now cleaning and cutting up a wild sow he got a little while ago. I took pictures as I always do. I know it sounds crazy. Here son, go kill something, you'll feel better. That's not what it's about at all. That meat will be eaten by our family of five. Every scrap of it that is palatable. He feels that he is contributing to the family's needs, and he is, we lean a lot on wild game.

He's at his best and happiest when he is solitary. The last wild argument we had was over his desire to go fishing when his dad and I were preparing to go out of town. He had been invited by so and so to go to his aunt's house (he didn't know where). I said you are not leaving this house with your father and I getting ready to go out of town, to an unknown location with people I have never met. Out of the question. He insisted that he was going and in fact left the house to do just that. At some point he thought better of it and came home. He is ruled by his desire to fish hunt and be in the woods. It's the only leverage we have with him. A wilderness camp for him would be a vacation, and the boot camp sounds too harsh a punishment for the crime. I have only raised one son. I have nothing to compare him too. Even his freinds wouldn't know a shotgun from a .243 so when he finds one that is somewhat like him, he will risk life and limb to spend time with them, doing what he loves to do.

/ juvenile boot camps #34  
Usually the setting has a number of aims the highlight of which is to foster self-discovery within each student preparing them for a decent life. In preparing students for their future, the Academy concentrates on integrity, self-discipline, perseverance and wellness.

/ juvenile boot camps #39  
It would be nice to hear how Jake turned out, a few years later......:D

/ juvenile boot camps #40  
Anyone ever watch the movie Holes? Great movie about juvenile boot camp! :laughing: