K.I.S.S.

/ K.I.S.S. #1  

firemanpat2910

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 2910II
I need someone to smack me in the back of the head. My dad called me a couple a days ago and said his "Tractor" wasnt running right. After making sure all the tractors were in the barn where they belong I headed to his house to fix his riding lawn mower!!! Its got a 18.5 B&S and it was skipping sputtering and back firing. Air filter was clogged, sparkplug used almost up, fuel filter dirty and gas smelled rotten. I tell him I would be back next day after work. $25.00 trip to tractor supply at lunch. Go back next night(waited till it cooled of to 90) replace all above mentioned parts add new gas with stabil. still runs rough, I was about to remove the carb and start tearing it apart when I see a STICK wedged into the govenor linkage. I dont know how I missed it before. Runs like new again. sorry for the long winded post but keep it simple stupid.:eek:

/ K.I.S.S. #2  
3stooges.jpg

/ K.I.S.S. #5  
KISS is the best tool in the box! (not made by snap-on either!)

But then maybe Vice-Grip is the closest to KISS ever made.

I also have heard V-G's called noofie sockets (Cdn joke) and maybe you all call them Redneck sockets!

/ K.I.S.S. #6  
PILOON said:
I also have heard V-G's called noofie sockets (Cdn joke) and maybe you all call them Redneck sockets!

Aggie speed wrench...I keep mine next to my crescent hammer.:rolleyes:

/ K.I.S.S. #7  
Hey.. don't knock those crescent hammers.. I keep a big 18" one in my tractor tool box.. I actually ground down a flat spot on the back specifically to use it as a hammer so it wouldn't deflect off as much!

soundguy

/ K.I.S.S. #8  
firemanpat2910 said:
I need someone to smack me in the back of the head. My dad called me a couple a days ago and said his "Tractor" wasnt running right. After making sure all the tractors were in the barn where they belong I headed to his house to fix his riding lawn mower!!! Its got a 18.5 B&S and it was skipping sputtering and back firing. Air filter was clogged, sparkplug used almost up, fuel filter dirty and gas smelled rotten. I tell him I would be back next day after work. $25.00 trip to tractor supply at lunch. Go back next night(waited till it cooled of to 90) replace all above mentioned parts add new gas with stabil. still runs rough, I was about to remove the carb and start tearing it apart when I see a STICK wedged into the govenor linkage. I dont know how I missed it before. Runs like new again. sorry for the long winded post but keep it simple stupid.:eek:

Don't feel bad.

My sister-in-law went to the mall saturday. She came out and got in her car. It wouldn't start. She had an appointment that just wouldn't wait, so she called a cab to get home. $55 Next she called my wife (her sister) so she could drag me down there to figure out what was wrong with the car.

When she got to the mall, she put the car in neutral, put on the emergency brake, and went about the full tilt make-up make-over. When she finished, all she did was turn off the key, get out, lock the door and proceed to shop-until-she-dropped.

The car wouldn't start because it was still in neutral.

Some days even the simple stuff gets complicated ;)

I shoulda charged her $100 for putting it in park.

/ K.I.S.S. #9  
Switch to a pipe wrench. Better fit and better hammer. It's also easier to use for the mechanically challenged!:D :D :D

Just make sure its the steel variety. Them aluminum jobs can break with a snipe.:mad: :mad:

Course you also gotta be careful on them evening Snipe Hunts!:D :D :D

/ K.I.S.S. #10  
Is she related to anybody here in florida? I had a salesman stop by our office a while back, and then a minute after leaving he came in and asked to use the phone.. said his truck wouldn't crank over. While he was making the call I asked if i could take a look.. same issue.. truck not in park... guy was pretty embarrissed.

soundguy

Farmwithjunk said:
Don't feel bad.

My sister-in-law went to the mall saturday. She came out and got in her car. It wouldn't start. She had an appointment that just wouldn't wait, so she called a cab to get home. $55 Next she called my wife (her sister) so she could drag me down there to figure out what was wrong with the car.

When she got to the mall, she put the car in neutral, put on the emergency brake, and went about the full tilt make-up make-over. When she finished, all she did was turn off the key, get out, lock the door and proceed to shop-until-she-dropped.

The car wouldn't start because it was still in neutral.

Some days even the simple stuff gets complicated ;)

I shoulda charged her $100 for putting it in park.