Oil & Fuel Kama TS354C Pwr Steering Oil?

/ Kama TS354C Pwr Steering Oil? #1  

zogman

Silver Member
Tractor
Kama TS354C & Ferguson TO20
I have developed a small leak in the rubber hose below the power steering pump. I have to drain the resevour to replace the hose. Does anyone know what kind of oil is recommended?

/ Kama TS354C Pwr Steering Oil? #2  
EC Rob-
I use AW32 hydraulic fluid (equiv to 10w) or AW48 (equiv to 20w) for the power steering fluid under normal conditions. I found the heavier AW 68 works great in the 110°F+ Summers out here.

/ Kama TS354C Pwr Steering Oil? #3  
I suggest "universal tractor fluid" id 303 or other trans-hydraulic oil. which is a change from our original thoughts. although slightly thicker, these oils have better lubrication qualities than straigt hydraulic oil. Also the system is run on a 30w equivalent in China and we see a little better steering response using the heavier oil, perhaps because it is closer to what they were originally designed to use. In a pinch any hydraulic oil is OK, don't use power steering or transmission fluid as it seems to be way too thin.

/ Kama TS354C Pwr Steering Oil? #4  
zogman said:
I have developed a small leak in the rubber hose below the power steering pump. I have to drain the resevour to replace the hose. Does anyone know what kind of oil is recommended?
My 2006 TS354C power steering works fine so far with AW32 hydraulic fluid. But I found with my 2004 KM454 that AW32 was too thin for hot summer work. It soon became apparent that 30W (equivalent) was too thin as well. I also tried UTF and even 40W (equivalent) without success. After much trial and error, I'm now switching between AW32 for summer and AW220 for winter (50W equivalent).

My parts manuals suggest both tractors use the same pump. Since July and August are now upon us, I'll soon be able to tell if the same issue develops in the smaller tractor. If so, I'll be switching steering fluid twice a year in both tractors.

//greg//

/ Kama TS354C Pwr Steering Oil?
Since the weather here in SC is hot, hot & Hotter pretty much every day in July, August & September the consensus is a 30 - 50W oil/ hydraulic fluid would work best?

Thanks for all the input, PS Greg how do you like your 354?

/ Kama TS354C Pwr Steering Oil? #6  
zogman said:
Greg how do you like your 354?
Well, it's considerably better than the two JM254s I had prior to 2004. And more versatile than the YM240 before them. But it's not anywhere near the tractor its bigger brother is. If I didn't already have the KM454 yardstick, I'd probably have a lot more good things to say about the TS354C. My biggest aggravation how hard it is to do even the simplest things under the hood. Either the loader arms or the lower engine cowling (which I'm thinking of removing) always seem to be in the way.

That said, I may have a similar complaint if the KM454 was loader equipped. So from my current perspective I guess it's safe to say I'm quite pleased from the value for the dollar perspective. But I'd be a lot happier if it was easier to work on.

//greg//

/ Kama TS354C Pwr Steering Oil? #7  
those lower covers were off mine before i ever put it to work. Mine doesn't seem too bad to work on.

/ Kama TS354C Pwr Steering Oil? #8  
I have a 2004 TS354c Kama and I use AW48 in the power steering. I am going to try Chip's suggestion of UTF id 303. I think a thicker fluid will feel more responsive. I also have a Chinese made loader (TZC04) on my tractor and can open the hood completely with the loader on. I have changed the loader valve to a Prince valve with a float. I have good access to the engine. This tractor has been more than I thought I was getting.
Kidney

greg_g said:
Well, it's considerably better than the two JM254s I had prior to 2004. And more versatile than the YM240 before them. But it's not anywhere near the tractor its bigger brother is. If I didn't already have the KM454 yardstick, I'd probably have a lot more good things to say about the TS354C. My biggest aggravation how hard it is to do even the simplest things under the hood. Either the loader arms or the lower engine cowling (which I'm thinking of removing) always seem to be in the way.

That said, I may have a similar complaint if the KM454 was loader equipped. So from my current perspective I guess it's safe to say I'm quite pleased from the value for the dollar perspective. But I'd be a lot happier if it was easier to work on.

//greg//

I understand completely about the cosmetic side covers, it would be a great suggestion (to send to the factory) - make the side covers "quick detachable". The loader (koyker 160) is a necessary evil and I do believe I would really miss it. I like the way the 454 & 554 hood raises up toward the back. That sure does open things up. I wanted the 554 but my budget and trailering (weight) the behemoth became an issue I couldn't overcome.

I had a 5 gallon bucket of AW 68 from my old Fergeson TO20 rebuild so I went with that and I can tell the difference already. It gets pretty hot here too so it seems a good fit. Thanks for the info guys.