Katolight Diesel Generator blue smoke on start and oil on fan

/ Katolight Diesel Generator blue smoke on start and oil on fan
Oops - I have just looked at you first photographs, should have done it before. That is one nice setup you have got here man - much better than mine.
Have attached a couple of photo's of my setup if it is any help. I run my machine about every six weeks. Usuall one without house load then the next time with full house load. That way the diesel gets to earn it's keep and gets a workout of consequence. Too little load is not really good for the engine.
As far as sitting for several years, you diesel should be fine - and John Deere make some good equipment, so you should have no worries.
Best thing you can do is put a good load on the machine for several hours at a stretch. That will bring everything up to temperature, drive out any moisture from the engine oil and help run in the diesel. Of course watch what happens and don't forget to have the alarm switched on when running the set.

Thanks,

We are building a good sized home, shop and office up here and the big generator was necessary for our 100% off-grid aspirations.

I took your advice, have been monitoring coolant and oil levels, everything seems fine. I ran it hard the last few days and could smell some of the paint cooking off, which means its working hard. ;-)

I really appreciate everyones information, it helped keep me from panicking.

~Moses

Building code will require that generator room to made fire resistant with a double layer of drywall. Just depending a heat detector tied to a monitored alarm system maybe required. Has your insurance agent seen the setup ?

View attachment 371007

View attachment 371006

It's a separate building some 150 feet from the house. 12' x 24' with a pony wall separating an 8' section which will house the electronics / battery components for the off-grid system. The end is framed in for a shop style rollup door and I left enough room for a 2nd generator to use a backup / fail over.

No insurance agent has seen it yet. It's a work in progress, so when I get it all fireproofed, enclosed and buttoned up, it'll all be 100% inspected and signed off. I wanna follow the rules as best I can.

I am doing this all by my lonesome, and bringing in the brains for code requirements that I don't understand and / or heavy lifting. It's A LOT of work, but I am enjoying the heck out of it.

This pic is looking back at the house with the generator building and water building (furthest back) on the left.

photo copy.jpg

Closer look at the two buildings. I built them identical, one will house all of the electrical components and the other all of the water / irrigation systems.

photo.jpg

This picture is what I got setup this weekend. I installed the first of my Outback VFX3648's and the "Buying" is from the diesel generator which is now fully configured to auto start/stop depending on voltage from the battery bank.

I'm pretty stoked!

photo copy 2.jpg

~Moses

I relieved the genset is not in any sort of a dwelling. On another board there is a person who can't understand why an antique Lister gen set in the house basement could be a problem.
There needs to be a CO detector installed in the gen shed. You will be surprised how often and how high the CO levels are.

I agree, high locks on the door (for children), and high voltage signs (for people who read) are a must in my opinion. I don't want a child or some idiot stumbling in there and electrocuting himself on my dime.

I am going to cross-ventilate each side of the electrical building to keep battery gasses and electronics emissions clear from anything on the mechanical side.

~Moses

/ Katolight Diesel Generator blue smoke on start and oil on fan #24  
That is quite an undertaking you have there.

I like the looks of your setup - especially the house. Looks like it is on top of a hill, so would have great views I imagine.
Please keep us all informed on your project - there is a lot of nosey people that are dying to see pictures !

Thanks

That is quite an undertaking you have there.

I like the looks of your setup - especially the house. Looks like it is on top of a hill, so would have great views I imagine.
Please keep us all informed on your project - there is a lot of nosey people that are dying to see pictures !

Thanks

Not nosey at all. I spend all day behind a keyboard playing CEO for my software company, so I am learning every step of the way (reading, reading and more reading). I've always loved the idea of building something of my own, and after getting rolling I realized that it isn't as difficult or as expensive as I had originally thought. There are so many ways to do things and so much to learn, I am completely addicted.

I'd love to start a thread and toss pictures in and describe every important step of the process, I'd even detail cost if people were interested. Let me know.

This is the view from the roof while framing in the dormers.

BNWP2EkCEAADdaT.jpg

My two Deere's -- Both of these machines are invaluable. They've literally helped me shape the property.

BPBobnCCcAAhfUq.jpg

I got rid of my other gas Ford for a diesel... now my tractor, dozer, truck and generator all drink the same stuff.

BjCBS7xCIAA3IDo.jpg

During the process, I did this to my 4300... The box blade caught a rock backing up and shoved it towards the tractor, catching a ripper tooth under the tire and then *BANG*.

No doubt, the center link mount was damaged or stress fractured, because I have a 3-point backhoe on it most of the time.

A0w8IyICcAENEiU.jpg

~moses