Kawasaki EFI Engine Experiences?

/ Kawasaki EFI Engine Experiences? #1  

walker450

Platinum Member
Tractor
M5040, BX25D, F2880, ZD1211, GR2120
I am looking into buying a Kubota 700 series zero turn. I will use it on my property and hopefully get a few customers yards to take care over the summer.

I have had a 2017 Z726X (25.5HP Kawasaki Carb FX801) and was happy with it, even though it was the loudest mower I have ever used...

I am intrigued by the EFI model. I am wondering how these hold up long-term to the carbureted models. The EFI model also has a digital screen that shows fuel level, safety switch indicators, motor load, etc. The throttle control is an electronic dial.

I am okay with the fancy features if it does improve performance and is reliable in the long term. Anyone have experience with these?

/ Kawasaki EFI Engine Experiences? #2  
I run diesel zero turns, but the newer EFI gasoline engines have several advantages over carbs. Better fuel efficiency, more stable rpm under varying loads, less issues with fuel degradation, easier starting.

/ Kawasaki EFI Engine Experiences? #3  
And.... They have a computer and sensors that MUST remain dry. ;) Use caution when cleaning or washing. Corrosion is the biggest enemy.

/ Kawasaki EFI Engine Experiences?
Overall I am really really leaning towards a ZD1211 or ZD326, just trying to weigh all the options.

/ Kawasaki EFI Engine Experiences? #5  
Overall I am really really leaning towards a ZD1211 or ZD326, just trying to weigh all the options.

Those are the two mowers I currently run, and a previous ZD331. If you can get over the initial expense, they are a landscapers dream.

/ Kawasaki EFI Engine Experiences?
Those are the two mowers I currently run, and a previous ZD331. If you can get over the initial expense, they are a landscapers dream.
Thanks for the input! I forgot to add ZD331 to that list, that would be a nice find as well. I'm keeping my eye on Facebook marketplace for good used machines that are within a reasonable distance.

This may sound ridiculous, but I keep remembering three negatives about the Z726X I had for two seasons...
1. Extremely loud, double ear protection and it was still overly obnoxious. (Never tried noise-cancelling though)
2. Gasoline fumes. I can't stand them when refilling... I'm not sure if it's part of getting older or what, but they bother me something terrible now. It seems like standing mostly over the mower dumping it in from a gas can makes it hard to "get away" from them. Refilling a car isn't bad because you can take a few steps away and it's fine.
3. Cleaning the mower deck was a pain. I'm sure I could make an easier way to lift it, like a permanent ceiling mounted winch and a D-ring on the front of mower, lift it way high.... the ZDs have the built in jack that seems like a real winner, especially if I can make an adapter that'll allow a drill or an impact to do the turning lol

The only real downside I can think of to the diesels is weight... the price is not a downside to me because you are getting so much more for that money, liquid cooling, longer lasting engine, smoother and quieter engine, better fuel economy, more torque....

/ Kawasaki EFI Engine Experiences? #7  
Thanks for the input! I forgot to add ZD331 to that list, that would be a nice find as well. I'm keeping my eye on Facebook marketplace for good used machines that are within a reasonable distance.

This may sound ridiculous, but I keep remembering three negatives about the Z726X I had for two seasons...
1. Extremely loud, double ear protection and it was still overly obnoxious. (Never tried noise-cancelling though)
2. Gasoline fumes. I can't stand them when refilling... I'm not sure if it's part of getting older or what, but they bother me something terrible now. It seems like standing mostly over the mower dumping it in from a gas can makes it hard to "get away" from them. Refilling a car isn't bad because you can take a few steps away and it's fine.
3. Cleaning the mower deck was a pain. I'm sure I could make an easier way to lift it, like a permanent ceiling mounted winch and a D-ring on the front of mower, lift it way high.... the ZDs have the built in jack that seems like a real winner, especially if I can make an adapter that'll allow a drill or an impact to do the turning lol

The only real downside I can think of to the diesels is weight... the price is not a downside to me because you are getting so much more for that money, liquid cooling, longer lasting engine, smoother and quieter engine, better fuel economy, more torque....

I regret selling the zd331. It could run circles around the other two mowers. The lift jack requires a little effort, so I really doubt a drill would work. It only takes like 15 seconds total to get it fully raised start to finish. For the most part I only lift the mower when sharpening blades, as all three decks stay pretty clean except when I'm forced to cut wet grass.
Just like with any mower, varying the pattern prevents ruts. I don't notice any real difference with heavier mowers in that regard.
Handling diesel is also sooooo much easier than gas.

/ Kawasaki EFI Engine Experiences? #8  
Kawasaki uses their mower efi engines in the mule side by sides. Seen very reliable and quiet operation