Kawasaki Mule

/ Kawasaki Mule #22  
john_bud said:
Well, I don't ever ride for pleasure. There is always a load in the machine or it's tak'n me someplace to do something. In the spring the ground here gets soupy as the frost melts out. You can have 2" of mud on top of froze ground or later in the day you can have 2' of mud on froze ground or even bottomless mud. Once the Mule is resting on the belly pan you ain't going anywhere (unless you have paddle wheels for tires!).

Yesterday it rained here and I was out slipping and sliding in less than 1" of clay. Those stock tires on the Mule filled up with clay in the first 5' of mud and then got "interesting" the rest of the way. I'm sure your melting of the frost in springtime is a real challenge. I'm just not sure any stock UTV's tires would handle that all that well, certainly not the Mule, and certainly not if it is sitting on its belly pan. I guess the definition of "off road" might vary by your location. My definition would not necessarily mean being able to go through deep mud whereas yours certainly would.

/ Kawasaki Mule #23  
i have been thinkin of makin some tire rings out of some old b.o.p rings . that way when your tires are caked up the little spike s or paddles on the ring will catch the mud. we use them down here on the tractors in the field and it's pretty much impossible to get something stuck with them on. the paddles will not clog up and they will bite . the tractor ones are made out of rolled flatbar but i was gonna make some for thre utv's out of round bar or if i can get the right size b.o.p rings.

/ Kawasaki Mule #24  
Yesterday it rained here and I was out slipping and sliding in less than 1" of clay. Those stock tires on the Mule filled up with clay in the first 5' of mud and then got "interesting" the rest of the way. I'm sure your melting of the frost in springtime is a real challenge. I'm just not sure any stock UTV's tires would handle that all that well, certainly not the Mule, and certainly not if it is sitting on its belly pan. I guess the definition of "off road" might vary by your location. My definition would not necessarily mean being able to go through deep mud whereas yours certainly would.

I agree completely! Those stock tires are pretty wimpy in the goo. They say that wet ice on wet ice is the most slippery thing in the world. Maybe, but clay filled tires on wet clay can't be too far behind.

Tommy,

What the heck is a B.O.P? Sounds interesting.

/ Kawasaki Mule #25  

Hey Jinman, if you don't want that rain, send it down here to Bell County, I'll let my Mule's tires fill up with mud and spin as much as they want and be happy about it!;)

/ Kawasaki Mule #26  
it's term we use in the oilfield . it's short for (blow out preventer) it's your best buddy when the well is takin a kick. it shuts the well down so that hopefully it won't blow up or have a blowout. they weight about as much as 6 f350's they are really big. infact with the price of iron the way it is if someone was to come across an old one and haul it to the crap yard you could take off work a few weeks .lol anyway instaed of gaskets they are sealed together with these rings that come in diferent sizes all the way up to 24" even bigger. i done made a lot of seafood boilers out of them in my day.

/ Kawasaki Mule
I pulled the trigger last week. The dealer thought he had a 08 camo in back, but after we made a deal for $9300 he found that he did not. I don't know if he did the old bait and switch but he seemed sincere and I was able to get a red 08 for $8900. I really wanted the camo but I could not find any throughout the northeast. I would have had to wait a few months for a 09 and paid at least $1500 more for the priviledge.
Anyway it works great. I was able to get up some pretty tough trails. Going up steep slopes can be quite hairy though. Do I have to worry about it being tippy like my tractor? My kids love it too, we can go out as a family. Haven't started to work with it yet.

/ Kawasaki Mule #28  
They are pretty stable, but like anything they can go over. I would think that it would take about a verticle face to make you tip over backwards. I've gone up 35 degree slopes and they are more scary than dangerous, just don't try and turn while on a slope like that!