Keep current truck forever or try to afford a new one every 5-10 years?

/ Keep current truck forever or try to afford a new one every 5-10 years? #151  
Man I can’t imagine what Ram wants for my 5500 Laramie now…..

/ Keep current truck forever or try to afford a new one every 5-10 years? #153  
I'm going to keep a 6.0 in the stable just for all the haters of them.

/ Keep current truck forever or try to afford a new one every 5-10 years? #154  
I'm going to keep a 6.0 in the stable just for all the haters of them.

Riding the new Ford Edsel to the end, huh?
I have to hand it to you, out of the 40,000 people here, you and about 3 others stayed loyal.

You don’t know what you’re missing. Get into a Cummins one day. A diesel engine that’s also used in heavy farm machinery. 6L never did. 5.9/6.7 are legendary for a lot of good reasons.

Last edited:
   / Keep current truck forever or try to afford a new one every 5-10 years? #155  
Thanks. Hope you guys are right- MSRP was $35,600 when I ordered it:
You can always come down but it's difficult to go up.

/ Keep current truck forever or try to afford a new one every 5-10 years? #156  
Riding the new Ford Edsel to the end, huh?
I have to hand it to you, out of the 40,000 people here, you and about 3 others stayed loyal.

You don’t know what you’re missing. Get into a Cummins one day. A diesel engine that’s also used in heavy farm machinery. 6L never did.

It's more like I'm riding the misinformation out. I will concede, the early 6.0 had issues, and there were some nagging quirks on the later ones too. However, there is a Ford OEM part fix for each issue. Then if you under stand the root cause of the issues, changing coolant regularly fixes 90% of everything. Once corrected, it's a very good motor and Ford at the time made the best "Truck".

We do have a Cummins on the ranch. In fact my brother had a 2006 before he passed and my dad now has the truck. It will not go anywhere because it belong to him. The problem with that truck is not the motor, it's the dodge part. Like right now, it needs ball joints and tie rods. Typical dodge.

I know, you love to point out the cummins comes in equipment. Ok fair point. But the 6.0 was actually designed to run in School busses without emissions. The 6.0 took care of our precious children. :giggle:

Like all new diesels, emission kills them. Diesels in my opinion, are not meant to run at full rpm under no load to only burn off soot. I'm going to get that new HO powerstroke. I better be able to delete it.

/ Keep current truck forever or try to afford a new one every 5-10 years? #157  
The 6L was a tough time for Ford. Lots of lawsuits. I wouldn’t call school bus duty anything much to brag about. Now a 200HP 6.7L in a farm tractor? Thats a testament to toughness.

In terms of the rest of the truck, everyone seems to think the Ram brand has come a long way and made improvements in overall quality.

/ Keep current truck forever or try to afford a new one every 5-10 years? #158  
I wouldn't say it was a tough time, that period chiseled ford into what it is today for their diesel program. If they didn't go through that period of International/Navistar...they wouldn't have a purpose built, in house produced motor that is strong and reliable. They don't have to pay and license another companies motor.

The Navistar years were very informative.

/ Keep current truck forever or try to afford a new one every 5-10 years? #159  
I kind of want to buy your truck, what a great spec sheet.

/ Keep current truck forever or try to afford a new one every 5-10 years? #160  
I wouldn't say it was a tough time, that period chiseled ford into what it is today for their diesel program. If they didn't go through that period of International/Navistar...they wouldn't have a purpose built, in house produced motor that is strong and reliable. They don't have to pay and license another companies motor.

The Navistar years were very informative.
We all know Ford screwed up the 6L.
Ran much better in IH trucks, where not much was asked of it in HP wars.
It wasn’t all IH’s fault.

Try a newer Ram someday. You’ll forget about Ford 6L like the old girlfriend you had in 7th grade that cheated on you. lol
The newer trucks are speced so much better now than that era. Towing capacities are way up.

I do like the idea of keeping trucks 5-10 years, but the newer ones look suspect to BIG $ repairs because so much more is going into them.
$100,000 is a lot of stinking money, the warranties should go up proportionately with the prices, right? ;)