Mowing Keep Snapping Bolts on the Back Roller of my Flail Mower

/ Keep Snapping Bolts on the Back Roller of my Flail Mower #1  

pinkpixybug

Tractor
4835 Ford Newholland
We have a 4835 Ford Newholland, we are using as seppi flail deck mower and we keep snapping the bolts in the back roller, there is a lot of vibration and we cannot figure out what is causing it. how can we get the roller balanced? or figure out why it is vibrating enough to break the bolts on the roller after only cutting on a flat surface for about 100 yards.

/ Keep Snapping Bolts on the Back Roller of my Flail Mower #2  
Are you using the correct grade of bolts?

/ Keep Snapping Bolts on the Back Roller of my Flail Mower
We have tried grade 8 and grade 5, they shouldnt break like that., we have gotten bolts from two different places because we thought it could possibly be a bad batch of bolts but it wasnt, it was still the bolts.

/ Keep Snapping Bolts on the Back Roller of my Flail Mower #5  
I am assuming the bolts that you are snapping are the ones that hold the bearings that the flail drum is riding on. If this is true you're drum could be out of balance (probably not to likely but does happen) you should check to make sure that all of your knives and hangers are in place and that they are the same size and weight also if the bearings are not running completely smooth this would also cause additional vibration. Hope this helps some.

Thanks, not the roller that the shackles are on, the rear roller, the bolts that are on the Rear roller keep snapping, we are bringing the machine home tonite to take off the blades and shackles to determine if it is the teeth throwing it off balance.
Either way, I figure we will need to replace the bearings on the flail roller when we get to the next stage so I tried calling flailmaster and they said their website was down and will be down for a while and they have no access to schematics to order parts, I am trying to find another place to order parts, anyone know of any other place to order parts for my Seppi m 5' deck?

Thanks Mucho

Oh yeah, thanks, Hopefully this time tomorrow we will know whether the flail roller is bent or the bearings are the problem, i doubt the bearings are causing the issue but we shall see.

Also, the vibration has caused the main brackets holding the motor to crack, we welded the cracks but still the vibration is telling us something is offbalanced.

/ Keep Snapping Bolts on the Back Roller of my Flail Mower #8  
Just a note about flail mowers, the cutter drum that holds the knives rotates the knives at about 1800 ft. per min. or more simply put really fast much faster than any other attachment you would use, so if any part is out of balance or worn or missing or even just built up with dirt the mower will vibrate more than it would if it is completely balanced. I am using a 5' VRISIMO Mighty Max that has some vibration during normal operation that has put some stress on the welds and bracing and from the info. that I have this is very common with a flail mower because of the speed of the drum. Constant maintenance it seems is normal for these type mowers. I was able to purchase bearings,belts and a new pulleys for my mower from McGuire Bearing they are located in Portland,OR. I have a currant catalog from Flailmaster and did not see any parts listed for your Seppi but some knives and hangers might be interchangeable. Post pics. if you are able.

That is good to know, thanks,
I got a scale from Harbor Freight so we can check the blades and see what we have for weight distribution, I also have ordered a batch of blades for this at Country Tractor in Chehalis, Wa.

My first approach when the machine gets home is remove all the shackles and blades and see if it rolls smoothly (also, check the weight of all the teeth, and shackles)
, if so then taa daaa problem solved,
I hope it is that easy, because this has been nothing but easy.

I am hoping this is not still vibrating like crazy , update to follow :licking: