Keeping character, or restoring a pond

/ Keeping character, or restoring a pond #651  
Harv just wondering about the basket idea. I was watching Texas country Reporter on RFDTV and they were talking about texas pine needle baskets woven by a woman. (I cant remember her name atm).
Pine Needle Basket Native American by kattywhompusvintage on Etsy shows what I am talking about.
I am wondering if you could forge out a basket from woven wire to make it look like a pine needle basket. Or where you thinking about a different shape?

/ Keeping character, or restoring a pond
I apologize for the lack of updates, there hasn't been much happening while there has been a lot happening. All of the material for the fence is at the powder coater. It arrived yesterday.

One of the things that happened was last week I got a call from the galvanizer that they wanted to drill two more holes in every one of my posts. I explained to them that no one but no one drilled holes in my posts but me. It was a two hour drive each way and it was in our cold snap but I did it.

What had happened was I drilled one hole in each post for the galvanizer and powder coater to use for processing. I placed the hole where it would be covered by a bracket during installation. I knew the galvanizer needed to dip the post in vertically but I figured a 1/4" hole would be enough for them to install a still wire that would hold the weight of the post during the process. They thought not. So I drilled two holes so they could run a wire through the post for their purposes.

Attachments

• Smith's post 1.JPG
    Smith's post 1.JPG
    382.1 KB · Views: 156
  • smith's post 2.JPG
    smith's post 2.JPG
    365.5 KB · Views: 125
  • smith's post 3.jpg
    smith's post 3.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 119
  • smith's post 4.jpg
    smith's post 4.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 144
Yesterday afternoon the material was delivered to the powder coater. Today I picked up some quarter inch blind end pop rivets from Grainger to use to plug the holes I had drilled last week. One huge hiccup. I had picked those rivets because they had the smallest bulge after installation of all my easily available options. Drive in rivets left a big bulge, welding defeated the purpose of the galvanizing, so I went with the 1/4 inch pop rivets. Hiccup was the only riveter I could use for those rivets was a really neat $150.00 tool. Gulp! I now have the coolest rivet gun ever if this ever comes up again. It was two hours steady work to clean out the holes and install the rivets.

Attachments

• Smith's fence job 007.jpg
    Smith's fence job 007.jpg
    1,004.2 KB · Views: 141
  • Smith's fence job 008.jpg
    Smith's fence job 008.jpg
    913.9 KB · Views: 130
  • Smith's fence job 009.jpg
    Smith's fence job 009.jpg
    993 KB · Views: 118
  • Smith's fence job 010.jpg
    Smith's fence job 010.jpg
    1,022.8 KB · Views: 99
  • Smith's fence job 011.jpg
    Smith's fence job 011.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 127
  • Smith's fence job 012.jpg
    Smith's fence job 012.jpg
    1,004.1 KB · Views: 114
  • Smith's fence job 015.jpg
    Smith's fence job 015.jpg
    965.8 KB · Views: 109
One of the issues with the fence was corners and radius's. That would be determined in the field and putting fins or tabs on posts would drive the powder coater crazy, he told me so. I picked up some 14 gauge stainless piano hinge 3" flat. It came in six foot sections so I cut it into five inch pieces. The idea is to have one half of the hinge coated to match the post and the other half to match the rail. This allows us to make any radius work and to go off at any angle from a corner. I went with stainless because I wanted the rust protection it provides and it would be almost impossible to do it with galvanizing.

Attachments

• Smith's fence job 001.jpg
    Smith's fence job 001.jpg
    822.5 KB · Views: 123
  • Smith's fence job 002.jpg
    Smith's fence job 002.jpg
    1,011.4 KB · Views: 125
  • Smith's fence job 003.jpg
    Smith's fence job 003.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 125
  • Smith's fence job 004.jpg
    Smith's fence job 004.jpg
    857.3 KB · Views: 134
   / Keeping character, or restoring a pond #656  
Ah yes, the big daddy riveter. At least that was the name of the one I used once. Thanks for the update.

The powder coater told me this afternoon that he is going to do one post and three rails, we've picked three different patterns for the rails so we can mix them up and make it look more natural. We've also picked two different patterns for the post but the difference is more subtle. He wants to have us do an approval on that before he does everything else. Makes sense/cents to me. That will probably happen next week.

I have the locates being done this week. Tomorrow I get with the water company crew, they know me and I'm sure they are going to be curious as cats in a hen house about what I am up to now.

I have a couple of hundred feet of 4' chainlink fence to remove and then get ready for the posts when the powder coater has them ready for us.

Then there's the gate. This is getting to be fun.

Think about this. I'm going to roll a piece of 11 gauge 2 3/8" black pipe into an eight foot radius arc, more or less, you've seen the shop, guesstimation rules. This will be the handle of the basket that makes the gate. I have some 3 1/2 inch fourteen gauge round tubing, four inch round tubing, and 4 5/8" round tubing. I will use those in combination to simulate woven wood over the 2 3/8" arc. Keep in mind, each piece has to be individually galvanized, powder coated, and wood grained. The ends of the gate will be made similarly. The basket weave in the middle will be solid and easy compared to the handle.

I think the funnest thing about this is making it where it can be disassembled for coating and then reassembled for use.

Some of the old timers will remember a bridge we all made back in the day. Well, in the middle of this fence line is a big creek. We agreed it wasn't to be considered part of the job. Then, well, I stopped and looked at it a little too closely. I then suggested to the homeowner that we could put a fence across the creek but we wouldn't make it look like it was going over a bridge, but a cave. Would that be cool or what?

Ah yes, the big daddy riveter. At least that was the name of the one I used once. Thanks for the update.
Yup, handier than a pocket on a shirt for pop rivets of size.

Harv just wondering about the basket idea. I was watching Texas country Reporter on RFDTV and they were talking about texas pine needle baskets woven by a woman. (I cant remember her name atm).
Pine Needle Basket Native American by kattywhompusvintage on Etsy shows what I am talking about.
I am wondering if you could forge out a basket from woven wire to make it look like a pine needle basket. Or where you thinking about a different shape?

That's a beautiful basket but I'm going a little simpler, if I can. I saw one pattern that I really liked but haven't posted it yet in case even it is too difficult for me to do.

Smith's fence job 009.jpgSmith's fence job 002.jpgA fun thing about this is making sure everything is coated the right color. The two pieces in the one picture have to be done different colors. The big piece is a splicer for the rails so it will be the light rail color. The smaller bracket will be holding the rail to the post so it will be done the darker color to match the post.

The hinge material will have the three ring pieces done light to match the rails and the two ring pieces will be done dark to match the post.

Is this fun or what?