Keeping hay fields in shape for future use?

/ Keeping hay fields in shape for future use?
Oh yeah.. a new one would definitely be out of the question. I would have to find something similar that is used. The point of the lawn comparison is to note that it's not thick now and could be finish mowed, perhaps with a larger finish mower and an underpowered tractor. I realize I would have to stay on top of the mowing operations. If I let it go too long, then I would have to get out the brush cutter (or the haybine). I'm looking for options that would preserve the current condition of the fields without adding too much equipment. I'm sure my haybine was very expensive once upon a time, but I picked it up for $1500 (plus the parts and time to keep it running). I'm hoping there might be other equipment options or farm practice options that could work. So far the good ideas keep coming in.

I hadn't thought about alfalfa. That might be a viable option. I may not be able to get that to fly this year, but it could be an option for next year. I'm open to all ideas. Thanks again.

/ Keeping hay fields in shape for future use?
I'm liking this alfalfa idea more and more!! Slight twist in the topic... around here we really get mixed opinions from the "horse" people. Some really want alfalfa mix... others avoid it. I just need an education, it would be good to evaluate this topic for future discussions.

/ Keeping hay fields in shape for future use? #13  
I'd get a 6' rotary cutter and mow twice a year. Your tractor should pull that fine in the clean fields you have. Also put the word out to neighbors that the hay is free for the making. That might save you from cutting it on occasion. This seems the cheapest option short-term until you can figure out how to retire

/ Keeping hay fields in shape for future use? #14  
How wide haybine? Cut and leave in the field. No extra expense.

/ Keeping hay fields in shape for future use? #15  
Alfalfa is not a good crop to plant and leave.... It is auto-toxic and will self regulate to no alfalfa in about 8-10 years.... each year having less alfalfa.... for a legume, try clover... or buckwheat... buckwheat will reseed if you leave it....if the birds don't eat it all...

About round-up..... glyphosate.... it is non selective and will kill everything..... not good on a grass field.....

/ Keeping hay fields in shape for future use? #16  
Rhino SE8A Pull-Type

"The pull-type SE8A requires only a 30 HP tractor (min.) for economical operation."

/ Keeping hay fields in shape for future use? #17  
I am in the same situation , I just mow once each year and let it lay on the ground so the fields get at least a little nutrition .

/ Keeping hay fields in shape for future use? #18  
Hello hopsnhay, Are you unable to sell the grass as standing hay or silage? This is standard practice in my area. Often contractors will buy standinghay or silage and onsell to customers who don't have land. This will keep your feilds tidy , give you more time and some income. NB are your gate 12' or wider? If so good access = happy contractor.

/ Keeping hay fields in shape for future use? #19  
Down here you mow em or plow em. If you mow em, the year before you put them back in service you roll over the surface vegetation into the sub soil so that on your first cutting, your rake doesn't include all the old residue in the bales with the new crop.

Mark