Keeping out the idiots...of the air...

/ Keeping out the idiots...of the air... #1  

Maine_Polack

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 6500 4WD
Putting this post here cause the original "Keeping out the Idiots" post was here, and received many replys.

Had a new neighbor move in about 5 years ago. He likes to fly his plane, and has a field to land it in.

My problem with him is that he insists on flying directly over my house when he lands...at an altitude of not more than 75 feet high, and repeating this actiion a couple or three times. After a few of these episodes I went and paid him a visit. I thought I was quite reasonable when I talked to him. I explained that I though it was akin to tresspassing and an invasion of my privacy. Not to mention completely unsafe.

He was not receptive to my speech. His response was that he did have another way to land, and could try it. But...he also added in a somewhat patronizing tone that his field was officially an airport, and that he went though all the requirements to make this happen, so he couldn't be bothered by neighbors. In other words - buzz off!.

He continued to buzz my house, and upped the ante, so to speak. He would now make numerous passed above my house...5-8. Just buzzing over, going out of sight beyond the trees, and many times not landing at all, but pulling up and making a large circle to do it again.

I might add that he would also occasionally approach my house very quietly, (gliding?), and then gun the engine when directly over my house. It was on a Sunday morning that he did this manuver again. Well the night before my granddaughter, an infant, was up virtually all night, sick and crying. When his engine hit it lifted everyone in the house, and of course the baby included..who had finally fallen asleep only a short time before. I was not happy.

This was in 2007. I call the FAA, and voiced my concerns to a receptionist, who said she would forward them to the proper people. Never heard back from them, but his "landing manuvers" did stop for a while. I figured that the FAA, perhaps had a phone conversation with him.

So, his landings were taking a different direction..I was happy. Didn't make sense to me anyway, because when he took off he was approx. 90 degrees from the angle of flying over my house. If he could take off that way, why not land also. Also might add that he seems to only fly in good weather, so I don't believe that wind is a factor.

Well he started again last year, buzzing my house, and as previously stated not even landing on many occasions. This year had virtually a repeat performance of the Sunday morning thing. My daughter was visiting and started being bothered by a whole lot of pain. Turned out to be a kidney stone, and she finally went to the emergency room in the middle of the night. So, she was sleeping with the aid of drugs, being totally wiped out from the night before.

When he came over, he pulled the same engine noise directly over the house routine....

Now, I don't want to start WWIII with this guy. Thought I was very reasonable when I talked to him. No yelling or threatening. However his actions have been making me angry for some time, and this latest, I felt, was, affecting my family...I was really angry. I live out in the sticks, and there is all kind of room on both sides of my house.

So, before I do something foolish, I settled down and on Monday called the FAA again. Explained the situation again. Had a call back from an investigator...

Well, she called him apparently, and he said that my house was directly in the path of his landing approach...BullHockey! But she bought it, and callled me to tell me that I had to be reasonable, and when landing, a plane couldn't make abrupt direction changes. Very patronizing. And it turns out that she had looked at Google Earth to get the logistics. However, after some questions from me, it was determined that she never entered my address, and had actually only entered his residence, (which is at least 1/4 mile away), and was using this as a reference. Also when she realized her mistake, she became a slight bit testy. Now wants me to draw her a picture as to what is taking place.

In my first conversation with her, she had mentioned that she probably would have to come up and see things for herself. This is what I think she should do. But after buying into his load of crap on the phone, it was obviouse to me that now I was a pesky, complaining neighbor, who was way off base and just didn't understand things. And this despite her using the wrong address for a reference.

Well she is gone this week, and will return next week. I would very much like her to come here and see thing for herself...

I might add that I have taken pictures, but the investigator was not interested in them. It is very hard to get the true effect with these pictures.

What, if any, suggestions, arguments, ideas, or tactics could I use to convince her that I have a ligit complaint?

I ask, because I don't know much about flying and thought perhaps someone experienced could chime in and give me an advantage in dealing with this situatiion. I don't want to loose this argument....

Thanks all,
Al

/ Keeping out the idiots...of the air... #3  
Forget the FAA

Get this for the neighbor LOL

Attachments

• faa.jpg
    faa.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 562
   / Keeping out the idiots...of the air... #4  
A group of people sued the SF International Airport about the noise that the planes created. While they understood that there would be noise living near an airport, they didn't feel it was right that they had to deal with the increased amount of traffic as the airport grew. This was probably 15 years ago. One of the guys that I worked with at the time was part of the lawsuite. He didn't receive any money, nor did anybody that I'm aware of, but he did get his house remodeled so that the sound levels were lowered. This included the instalation of 4 pane windows through his home!!

His airport might be legit and his flight path might be legit, but there is a limit to what he can do and how much noise he can make. When filing a complaint, always get names and tell them that you are writing down that persons name, the date and time you called and what the converesation was about. Make sure they realize that you will keep calling until this is resolved.

If his airport is legit, you still might have a claim in court against him for the noise he's creating. Especially if you were there first. Not knowing this for sure in your area, but in some places, you have to get approval from your neighbors before you can build and operate something on your land that will impact your neighbors. Just because he said his runway is legal, doesn't mean he went through all the steps to make it that way. It also doesn't mean that everyone whe is affected by the runway and it's noise was contacted beforehand.

Good luck,
Eddie

/ Keeping out the idiots...of the air... #5  
If his airport is legit, you still might have a claim in court against him for the noise he's creating. Especially if you were there first. Not knowing this for sure in your area, but in some places, you have to get approval from your neighbors before you can build and operate something on your land that will impact your neighbors. Just because he said his runway is legal, doesn't mean he went through all the steps to make it that way. It also doesn't mean that everyone whe is affected by the runway and it's noise was contacted beforehand.

Good luck,
Eddie

Kind of a similiar angle that Eddie mentioned.

Does this "airport" fit into current zoning?

You might get farther talking to the zoning board then the FAA.

/ Keeping out the idiots...of the air... #6  
From what I was told Your Property does not include airspace above it . I,m surrounded by farm fields & have to deal with the old cropdusters , Which If you have ever been around any there far noisier & fly & dip much lower then i,m sure Your dealing with .

As well I have a buryed oil & gas pipeline that runs along the other side of My property & they have a plane that flys over that at tree top level to inspect it dailly . Crops need dusted & the pipeline needs inspected, So I have learned to live with it .

To top it off & i have a small airfeild a few miles away where folks keep their old Biplanes & such that also fly over quite frequentlly . I,ve gotten used to it & try to enjoy watching them , Since theres nothing I can really do anyway about it . Might be a different situation then yours, but I understand your problem. Bob

/ Keeping out the idiots...of the air... #7  
Realize zoing is a local issue and thus vaires a lot, but as his airport would affect the height of anything you might want to build and such it would seem zoning should come into play. Hard to do anything with rude people.

/ Keeping out the idiots...of the air... #8  
Put a big wind mill up at the edge of your property in his flight path.:eek:

/ Keeping out the idiots...of the air... #9  
Also when she realized her mistake, she became a slight bit testy. Now wants me to draw her a picture as to what is taking place.

Never miss a chance to put your side of the story in writing. I know it would be easier to just call up and have them listen to you, but Santa isn't going to bring that.

1. Do your own Google Earth investigation, print out the result and send it, with a letter of explanation to the FAA. This can be the basis for further complaint.

2. Call your congressman and get his help. After you have explained the situation, a copy of the letter to the FAA would be good, do NOT just send him a copy with no explanation or previous contact.

3. Plant some fast-growing trees along the flight path. This is not an immediate solution, but will eventually help.

4. If you can prove the runway really is in a different direction, a sudden interest in ham radio, complete with a very tall antenna, will definitely get his attention...

/ Keeping out the idiots...of the air... #10  
A friend of mine actually has a similar problem. A neighbor of hers has an ultralight that he loves to fly. He loves to fly right over the tree line and shoot feral hogs from the air. People are relatively happy to be rid of the hogs because they are so darn destructive in our county, but this friend of mine has a small cabin in a wooded area in between two ponds that is almost impossible to see from the air. On more than one occasion bullets from the flying hog hunter have hit her roof and walls. She tried talking to the neighbor and that would solve the problem for a while, but then he'd get to chasing a big herd across several properties and forget when he was over her house. She was worried about her young granddaughter playing outside and possibly getting shot because she wasn't visible from the air. She finally put in a call to the sheriff's office and told them that if they didn't do something about the guy shooting over her property then she was going to start shooting back. The sheriff had a talk with the guy and all was well after that.

I'm guessing in your case that the FAA may not be the best solution. Talk to your local sheriff's office and see if there isn't possibly some noise disturbance law that might apply.

You say the guy moved in 5 years ago and you already owned your property at the time. If he did go through the "proper channels" to have a real licensed airport on his property than the surrounding property owners should have been given notice and a chance to voice their opinions on whether or not to allow this airport to exist. See if there is a way to handle the problem at a local level and you'll probably get better results than at the federal level. Down here in Texas what he's doing wouldn't fly (if you'll pardon the pun).

If all else fails, install one of these on your property: http://www.lod.org/Projects/electrum/index.htm and fire it up the next time he flies over.