KeyLess Chucks - Grrrr........

/ KeyLess Chucks - Grrrr........
Thanks for the comments. I guess I didn't say but it is a ratcheting chuck. The channel locks - actually 2 channel locks - make it a lot better. But it still slips. Maybe I should look at the positive side and consider that slipping is better than a broken wrist.

So now instead of a key attached to the cord I need two sets of channel lock pliers - progress.

Just trying to figure if it worth the hassle bringing it back or will I just get another the same way.

gg

gg

/ KeyLess Chucks - Grrrr........
Thanks for the comments. I guess I didn't say but it is a ratcheting chuck. The channel locks - actually 2 channel locks - make it a lot better. But it still slips. Maybe I should look at the positive side and consider that slipping is better than a broken wrist.

So now instead of a key attached to the cord I need two sets of channel lock pliers - progress.

Just trying to figure if it is worth the hassle bringing it back or will I just get another the same way.

gg

gg

/ KeyLess Chucks - Grrrr........ #13  
Well I'm with the other guys, you couldn't give me a keyed chuck anymore, at least for my cordless tools. (I have three or four cordless drills) They've really made good improvements with these chucks over the years. Do note, I'm not saying theirs not some poor ones one there. If I'm concerned that something needs to be overly tight in one, I run them shut at high speed. Doing this is like hammering them tight by speeding the drill and snaps it tighter into the chuck. But them I'll add, its rarely an issue.

/ KeyLess Chucks - Grrrr........ #14  
I have a Grizzly keyless on my drill press and love it, plan on buying another for my smaller press. Have used it on up to 3/4 bits on 1/4 mild steel and it has always worked well. Ed

/ KeyLess Chucks - Grrrr........ #16  
I used to have a problem once in a while with my keyless chucks. Both drill presses and several of my cordless drills have them. Then a while back, in another forum, a fellow said to never let the drill bottom out in a keyless chuck when you tighten it. I don't recall the details but he said something about the drill having a tendency to draw into the chuck when first pressed against the material you are drilling. So I've been following his advice ever since and have not had any more issues.

I'm not saying this would solve your problem because I'm sure the mechanical tolerances in some of these chucks, especially the cheaper imported ones, could lead to problems. But it doesn't cost anything to try this method.

/ KeyLess Chucks - Grrrr........ #17  
I have two cordless DeWalts here. One is a hammer drill and has an all-metal chuck. I have drilled some big holes and it never slips. Love that thing.

The other is just a regular drill, only now it's a Philip's screw driver exclusively. Can't get it to let loose of the Philip's bit that's in it. I suspect my pet grizzly bear (my big #1 son) over-tightened it in there until the mechanism broke. It's not coming off.

So... good and bad.

But no slipping problems.

/ KeyLess Chucks - Grrrr........ #18  
If the hole diameter is greater than the material thickness,,, simply use a step drill bit,,,

titanium-metric-self-starting-495.jpg

This drill never has a problem with thin materials,, either type chuck will be successful.
The best part is that after the hole is drilled, simply run the drill in from the opposite side,,, the hole will be deburred!! :thumbsup:

/ KeyLess Chucks - Grrrr........ #19  
I hate to say this but return the Dewalt. IMO they have gone hugely down hill. I have heard that the Home Depot versions are of poorer quality than one you get factory direct but I do not know that conclusively.

/ KeyLess Chucks - Grrrr........ #20  
I've had alot (10 or more, owned a electrical contracting company a dozen years) DeWalt drills over the last 15+ years, all with keyless chuck's. The best ones are the all metal chucks on the 1/2" drills that won't allow the chuck to turn when not running. They will ratchet down real tight. However, we have one in the shop at my current employer that is a real PITA, slipping on even light duty applications. (I refuse to take my good personal tools to work. Underpaid as it is, not donating tools too)