Kickin myself all the way home

/ Kickin myself all the way home #1  

milkman

Elite Member
Ky. Between Dead Horse Holler and Yellowbank
Tractor
BX2200, BCS 735
Went to an auction today an watched an International 234, 2wd with only 715 hrs. go for $2450.00. It was really cherry except the paint was faded a bit. Wish I'd went ahead and bought it. A 5 ft. tiller, like new went for $600.00, kickin myself more. Got a pto seed sower for $60.00, and a 35000btu kerosene heater for the garage for $60.00. Can't get over letting the tractor go that cheap though.

/ Kickin myself all the way home #2  
just curious! but if it was that nice, and u are kicking yourself? why did u not bid on it?

/ Kickin myself all the way home #4  
I took a negotiating class last year. One of the things taught was that the only way to win an auction is to lose. When you are the high bidder it means that you are willing to pay more than anyone else. This means you are paying more than the market will bear. (economic theory) Hence, you lose. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

So, as you will now see, you actually won ! Congratulations /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Kickin myself all the way home #5  
Twisted, man....Twisted..... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Actually, that logic does make a certain sense .... in some sort of perverted way.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mark

/ Kickin myself all the way home #6  
Don't worry, there probably was someone who;d get it at any cost, you would have driven their price up, but then you'd be thinking what a nut HE was....

/ Kickin myself all the way home #7  
I've found the only bargains at auctions are on things you didn't go there to buy!!! Everything I need always goes for just about retail..........I use the 50% rule on machinery ( especially electrical ) If it's more than half price and as is someone else can have it. ..........Tom

/ Kickin myself all the way home #8  
Oh well, no use crying over spilled milk. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Kickin myself all the way home #9  
Jerry, I, like most of us, like to get something at an auction for the lowest possible price. I do however, feel a little guilty sometimes knowing that my gain is someone elses loss. Farm auctions are the worst. Friends and neighbors gather at the auction to hopefully get a tractor or some other piece of machinery at a "lowball" price all at the expense of their neighbor. Maybe things all work out in the end. That same person who "lowballed" his neighbor and friend can receive the same consideration at his auction. Maybe I'm too sensitive.

Its kind of like when someone posts a message on this board asking what they should pay for a used tractor and the response is to make sure they negotiate as much out of the dealer as possible. I do it as well. But we should remember that out ability to get a good price at trade in time is based upon the dealer's ability to get a good price on our used unit.

A dealer who makes little if any profit on a used machine is going to less likely to put good money into our trade in next time.

/ Kickin myself all the way home #10  
I've been to many auctions and for the most part the prices paid are just that a price, not usually one I would pay but heck I'm a cheap skate, have I seen DEALS at auctions ya, usually on something I don't need and or have a use for becasue every thing I do to look at I have a use for and what I've seen is so does every one else so that item goes for the cost of a NEW one just like it or some times HIgher!!! not sure what so many people are thinking, used brush hogs are the worst, a rusted out old hunk of crap will bring on a bid that I can go to TSC and buy a NEW one for! not sure what some of the old guys who frequent these auctions think!!!

Perhaps it is like some one else was saying, helping out thier neibor by paying 100% more than an item is worth...

other time i think maybe I should get into auctioning things off at E-bay as some of the prices for sight unseen itmes is redicouls.

Mark
/forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif