Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership?

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #261  
As it has been said, the key is adult supervision. I was at the dealer the other day and I stopped and had a talk with my 3 year old son about the expectations of his behavior and what could happen if he didn't listen. Kids are creatures of habit and if parents let them crawl all over machines at home then why would they expect anything different when they go without to the dealership. I for one never let the kiddos even sit on the tractors unsupervised at home. I still think it is good to expose them to it so they can gain an understanding and appreciation for the machine. I found it interesting that JD is putting small seats for children along side the drivers seat in their large machines now.

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #262  
As it has been said, the key is adult supervision. I was at the dealer the other day and I stopped and had a talk with my 3 year old son about the expectations of his behavior and what could happen if he didn't listen. Kids are creatures of habit and if parents let them crawl all over machines at home then why would they expect anything different when they go without to the dealership. I for one never let the kiddos even sit on the tractors unsupervised at home. I still think it is good to expose them to it so they can gain an understanding and appreciation for the machine. I found it interesting that JD is putting small seats for children along side the drivers seat in their large machines now.

Couldn't have said it better myself!!

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #263  
I think the other issue here is that how many people shopping for tractors at the dealer are actually farmers? How many people on this forum are actually farmers? (I am not) The problems with children that most on here are referring to are not actually problems with "farm" children typically. From what I have seen, most "farm" children have learned respect at an early age. The real question is (as many have eluded to) how to you set a policy that separates the good from the bad. How do you tell one family that their children are not welcome as they are looking over at another family standing there with 3 children and nobody is saying anything? If a family is not able to raise well-behaved children, they probably also can't distinguish the difference between their children and the others, and feel that they aren't being treated fairly.

I do agree that there should not be a blanket policy that indiscrimately prohibits children, it is just difficult to figure out how to handle different families with different circumstances.

Hey, good post. I'd like to see a dealer say no kids when you're gonna dump over $230,000 on a combine..... yeah right....

If my dealer told me to leave my kids at home, I'd leave my money there too. Period. Everyone forget what it was to be young hanging out with dad? (Oh, by the way, Dad NEVER let us get out of line when we were out.......)

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #264  
I had the opposite experience recently. I was looking for a new riding mower/garden tractor and I stopped by a dealership with my wife and twin 2 1/2 year old boys. The staff was so accommodating and didn't mind if my boys sat on the tractors in the showroom, ran around and they brought out wooden pedal toys for them to use. Even though I didn't buy from them, I'd like to give them a plug for their customer service, Chappell Tractor in NH. New Hampshire Tractor Dealer: Compact Tractors, Kubota Agriculture Construction Equipment, Wheel Loaders, Crawler Excavators by New Holland in NH

Dave

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #265  
This attitude about kids is one of the reasons schools, and kids, are such a mess. Your kid can do no wrong. Forget the teacher back the kid. Then scratch you head when he/she/it is out of control in their teens.

If a tractor dealership chooses to be kid friendly that is their choice. It takes a lot of cash, or credit, to farm theses days. Getting the right equipment at the right price thumps your kids using millions of dollars of the dealers equipment as a playground.

This thread has been beat to death. I am unsubscribing.

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #266  
I bring my son with all the time when I go to window shop at the Kubota dealer. Growing up, my dad worked at Caterpiller dealer. We went with him every chance we could. We would climb all over the scrapers, D12's and loaders. When he was done he would give us a ride on one of the machines. I never got hurt, and I learned the name of every Cat machine

wow. This sounds like a dream to a young boy.
I had to laugh. A D12? A new bigger one? Nuclear powered?
No, "just" a grader. See, learning your model numbers is important!

No, Caterpillar's bulldozers only go up to D11. The Caterpillar D12 was a motor grader, a number of which were adopted into military service by Denmark, among others, and were sold on the civil market.

My Kubota dealer is pretty large, has a lot of other brands, and I'm always wandering through the display area to see what's new.
I'm past the "what is this and what does it do" phase, usually...., though I absolutely love to be stumped, but taking the time to explain to a young child what the different machinery does must be a wonderful learning experience. I don't have kids, or grandkids at this point, so I'll never get to take a curious son or daughter through a showroom. I envy those of you who can. Maybe I can be rented out...:D

yes, we have beat this topic pretty hard but it's because it's very real to most of us. How "our" kids act when out in public is always a discussion for parents. The dealership is not the jungle gym at Mcdonalds. Most of "us" get that.
And how "we" react, those of us without kids, to kids playing around us is also relevant. Some folk are very intolerant of kids.
I love kids, but don't like noise. Bit of an issue.

Where are the lollipops? Suck on this kid and keep your hands in your pocket until Dad oks it.
But when that boy or girl gets into their teens, that dealership would be nuts to not be friendly to the
next generation of tractor buyers.

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #267  
Hey, good post. I'd like to see a dealer say no kids when you're gonna dump over $230,000 on a combine..... yeah right....

If my dealer told me to leave my kids at home, I'd leave my money there too. Period. Everyone forget what it was to be young hanging out with dad? (Oh, by the way, Dad NEVER let us get out of line when we were out.......)

I wonder if this is what the parents of these two said. No wait she reportedly said she was proud of his skills.

Video tips: Budget advice - MSN Money

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #268  

I wonder if this is what the parents of these two said. No wait she reportedly said she was proud of his skills.

Video tips: Budget advice - MSN Money

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #269  
Lol, Not only are kids welcome at my dealer, but they offered to watch mine. The first tractor I purchased 2 years ago my son was 8 months old. I walked in with him in his car seat ( so yes not old enough to climb all over things). I had been in several times and wanted to look at some tractors and overall "learn" since this was all new to me. This is a really family oriented place. There is like 8 employees and they are all related. AWESOME family by the way. The lady "owner" offered to watch my son. I politely declined and this could be because she wanted the family to make a sale or because women love kids. Who knows. Well since the dealer is only 2 miles from my house I have been back numerous times looking at equipment, buying accessories. Well obviously my son has aged and is 2 1/2. While I was up there this week picking up a my RFM for my new tractor him and I walked the whole lot of tractors and implements.

When I walk in this place they know "us" now and have since met my daughter. My kids are literally growing up with tractors and mind there business as do I. Work is work and toys are toys. These are not toys.

Now some kids dont know better only because there parents either don't know or don't teach them. I understand liability and a dealers point of view for no kids. However I have child care issues and there is no way I could of made it to the dealer without my kids. My son Has been to the dealer more with me than not.

Now let's face it tractors are work but I am a big kid. If kids weren't allowed I probably would of been kicked out my first time waking in. I was 29 and all over these machines like a kid on a jungle gym.

Oh well THUMBS UP 👍 to Rosy Bros in Almont Mi..... Great Dealer, Great service, Great family