Killing hornets/wasps

/ Killing hornets/wasps #61  
Termidor SC is excellent in killing insects back to the hive.

It does come with some serious restrictions because of the danger to beneficial insects like honey bees.

A big one is to apply within inches of the ground or in areas where honey bees are not exposed.

I had some rather large underground yellow jacket nests... some I had located and others never did...

Mixed up a tablespoon for Termidor SC on used take out soda lid... Yellow Jackets go crazy for soda.

Anyway... in 48 hours they were all gone...

Termidor SC - Termidor Termite Treatment Spray - Toxicity, Label & MSDS

Active ingredient...

Fipronil - Wikipedia

/ Killing hornets/wasps #62  
Hi all.....I have reread all the posts here. I sprayed a lot of hornet spray. I tried to find my exterminator who has retired. no luck yet. The hornets I have bored
hole in siding of house . I suspect they have a nest deep in wall. Spray kills them who are there at spraying time. But the ones in wall or out or nest time of spraying don't get hurt at all. Thats why I'm looking for a poison that tracks back to nest.

So It's TSC and Lowes I go . Ace hardware was a strike out. I didn't try WD40 as per some of suggestions. Will try next if new stuff doesn't work.

Any ideas appreciated. Searching about killing hornets yields all ads and no info.

Have a good evening........Coffeeman

Find the hole. Go back after dark with a flashlight. Spray it with the RAID wasp and hornet killer. Go back inside. Repeat nightly if necessary, but it usually only takes 1-2 times to kill them.

/ Killing hornets/wasps #63  
Boric acid is effective on ants, they have to eat it for it to work. This makes it effective for ants that are attracted to sugar or grease based baits. Since wasps and hornets are closely related it may work on them as well if you can get them to eat it.
I currently have a lot of yellow jackets foraging in my compost heap for fruit remains (found them out there recently on a 33 degree morning!). I would be concerned though that a sugar based bait would also be attractive to honey bees.
I did use a sugar and boric acid bait in my greenhouse this summer to control (kill off) ants that were cultivating aphids on my pepper plants. It was very effective.

/ Killing hornets/wasps #64  
Many years ago I had a LARGE nest - size of a basketball - in one stall of my carport. The wasps would always buzz around when I went into that stall. Decided to get rid of them but figured that bug spray wouldn't do it fast enough.

So...... I had a bright idea. Wait until night and burn the nest. Rag wrapped around a long stick - soaked in kerosene - light it and hold it up under the nest. All went well - the nest ignited and blazed like a burn barrel out of control. It worked so well - I almost torched the carport. I would have never guessed that the nest of a paper bark wasp would burn so fiercely. The steel roofing saved the day.

/ Killing hornets/wasps #65  
One thing to keep in mind is wasps will not build near another nest. When they start them I leave them up and nobody comes near it. In the good old days chlorinated solvent in spray cans was great, instant kill. brake cleaner might work, drop them and dry them out .

/ Killing hornets/wasps #66  
Did anyone mention a vacuum? I use a shop vac with an inch of water (and toss in some bleach). Put it at the entrance and run it through the late afternoon/evening every day. Just kills off the hive, one worker at a time. I've gotten a gallon jug of yellowjackets from one hive. Eventually, there are no more....

/ Killing hornets/wasps #67  
Chemical warfare works well with the right chemicals. I use Phantom II Aerosol Spray and Delta dust. We get nests up under our siding and I treat the entrance hole in the evening. In just a couple of treatments they are gone in a week. RAID and the other stuff they have at the big box places are ok for a knock down but don't have the residual effect you need to take out a nest. Here is a guy taking out a paper nest with a long jet of water. The theory is that the bugs think it's a rain or natural weather event and don't go too crazy. How to terminate hornets and wasps - part 1 - YouTube

Last edited: