Killing sweet gum trees

/ Killing sweet gum trees
Not too encouraging, fellas...

I'm kind of torn as they add a bit of cover in this area for deer, but it'd be awful nice to be able to see through the trees a bit near where the homesite will be.

Anyone ever heard of "glycol?" I know Roundup and similar is "glyophosphate," right? Fella we know who is about as hardcore of a hunter as can be and he mentioned that in passing. I'm thinking he meant "glyophosphate" or whatever, but there is such a thing as glycol and wondering if that is a generic chem name for another herbicide.
Any ideas?

/ Killing sweet gum trees #12  
probably a trade name or slang for the glycophosphate..

soundguy

/ Killing sweet gum trees #13  
If you can find it, you can try "Arsenal Powerline". I've used it and it works. If you want to kill a bigger gum or another type tree you can take a axe and chop one cut in the trunk and spray just a little in the cut and it will kill that tree. I used my sprayer to spray a tree 25' tall and it killed it. Year two I pushed over with my four wheeler. :thumbsup:

/ Killing sweet gum trees #14  
Sorry, I forgot one thing, "It's safe to use around pine trees".

/ Killing sweet gum trees #15  
I,too, am really good at growing gum tree sprouts. If ya mow more frequently,the grass will gain the advantage. Frankly, I have given up on having a pristine pasture free of gum tree. I hog the fields 3 to 4 times a year. If ya hog the field in late summer in my area fairly low,you will not see the gum trees again until late in the next spring.

I will try to find "Arsenal Powerline"

Thanks for the suggestions, all

/ Killing sweet gum trees #17  
Schoolsout,
I've killed lots of sweetgums on my place in Georgia using Remedy and Tordon RTU (ready to use).

If the gums are of any size, I use Tordon either as a stump treatment or hack-n-squirt. I've killed them summer, fall and winter this way.

I use Remedy mixed with crop oil as a foliar/basal spray on the smaller stuff.

Check this link out for more info on herbicides.

Weed/Brush Identification

PM me if ya need some details.

Thanks! I'll check them out

/ Killing sweet gum trees #19  
Remedy (triclopyr) works better as a woody plant killer than roundup (glypsophosphate). I spray for poison ivy and end up spraying the grass around the p-ivy as well - remedy does not kill the grass, roundup does.

/ Killing sweet gum trees #20  
Schoolsout,
I've killed lots of sweetgums on my place in Georgia using Remedy and Tordon RTU (ready to use).

If the gums are of any size, I use Tordon either as a stump treatment or hack-n-squirt. I've killed them summer, fall and winter this way.

I use Remedy mixed with crop oil as a foliar/basal spray on the smaller stuff.

Check this link out for more info on herbicides.

Weed/Brush Identification

PM me if ya need some details.

This works for me 2 oz per gallon of spray----sometimes three----and spray over the entire sprout or tree...Sometimes it takes two times, three or four weeks apart....The concentrate I used cost two hundred fifty dollars a 2 1/2 gallon container.....I just keep picking at them each year, and slowly I have gotten in front of the problem...Tony