Killing weeds in garden

/ Killing weeds in garden #1  

cletus99

Gold Member
Tractor
2011 Kubota L3800HST
What do you all use to kill weeds in your vegetable garden? I'm specifically looking for cheap methods. I can't afford a small tiller or cultivator right now. I've thought about laying some kind of mulch down between rows or spraying roundup down the rows. Don't want to kill my vegetables though. I'm starting to have grass grow back and I'm too lazy to break out the hoe and pull weeds by hand. Plus my knees and back can't take it. So I'm looking for some cheap easy alternatives.

/ Killing weeds in garden #2  
I use a wife with a hoe.....jus' sayin....;)

/ Killing weeds in garden #3  
Wheel hoe, hand hoe, mulch, plastic mulch.

Small tillers are pretty cheap on craigslist. It's gonna be tough if you want to be cheap and lazy.;)

/ Killing weeds in garden #4  
Cheap mulch would be newspaper, cardboard, etc. between the rows held down with a bit of dirt. It will compost in-place.

/ Killing weeds in garden #5  
Paint roller, thick nap, broom handle extension. Paint tray and roundup. Slow and easy and roll roundup on your weeds. Easy to control and keep off the veggies.

/ Killing weeds in garden #6  
Paint roller, thick nap, broom handle extension. Paint tray and roundup. Slow and easy and roll roundup on your weeds. Easy to control and keep off the veggies.

Personally I wouldn't use any kind of chemical weed killer anywhere NEAR my veggies. "Easy to control"? Rain would pretty much rule out that possibility.

/ Killing weeds in garden #7  
Cheap mulch would be newspaper, cardboard, etc. between the rows held down with a bit of dirt. It will compost in-place.

This is what we do. No glossy ads. Several layers thick.

/ Killing weeds in garden #9  
This is my first year to try newspapers and cardboard. For my herb garden I have two layers of thick cardboard and then pine straw. So far so good, but I put it down before the weeds emerged this spring.

/ Killing weeds in garden #10  
If the ground around your veggies is smooth and rock free, you might try using a push mower to keep the weeds cut down. I did that a couple years ago. It's not the ideal weed management system but it is faster and easier than hoeing. :D