KING KUTTER II 48" 3 pt Rotary Tiller

/ KING KUTTER II 48" 3 pt Rotary Tiller #1  

Farmland

I have found a used KING KUTTER II 48" 3 pt Rotary Tiller that the fellow says he has used only 2 times. Are these good tillers as compared to Frontier, Mohawk, Land Pride, etc. I have always wanted a tiller for my JD2305 but I can't justify the new price of +$1,400. He is asking $1,150 and says he will take a $1,000. I offered him $800 and he said no. He shortened the PTO shaft and I am not sure if that will be a problem. Does anyone know what a new shaft would cost? Is this a good tiller brand? Is it worth a $1,000? I want it for my garden, some yard work, and food plots at the deer lease. Let me know what you guys think!!!!!

/ KING KUTTER II 48" 3 pt Rotary Tiller #2  
I think the KK II are a very good tiller. To my knowledge the gear driven units are tougher than the chain driven units. I assume the 48" is gear driven as the 60" units are. I don't know what a new pto shaft would cost, my guess would be $150-$300 depending on it if included the slip clutch or not. You can give KK a call or check Agri Supply, or even Tractor Supply among other places for a price. More than likely you could get a pto extender for a lot less.

I think $1000 is a pretty good price for one of these units especially since they are around $1400 - $1500 new.

/ KING KUTTER II 48" 3 pt Rotary Tiller #3  
48" king kutter xb chain drive is on sale at fleet farm for $1150

/ KING KUTTER II 48" 3 pt Rotary Tiller #4  
King Kutter has good equipment though I don't accept gear drives are "better" than chain drives.

To see if it is a good deal, check new prices for the same model.

/ KING KUTTER II 48" 3 pt Rotary Tiller #5  
I have found a used KING KUTTER II 48" 3 pt Rotary Tiller that the fellow says he has used only 2 times. Are these good tillers as compared to Frontier, Mohawk, Land Pride, etc. I have always wanted a tiller for my JD2305 but I can't justify the new price of +$1,400. He is asking $1,150 and says he will take a $1,000. I offered him $800 and he said no. He shortened the PTO shaft and I am not sure if that will be a problem. Does anyone know what a new shaft would cost? Is this a good tiller brand? Is it worth a $1,000? I want it for my garden, some yard work, and food plots at the deer lease. Let me know what you guys think!!!!!

That shortened pto shaft may be a good thing, depending on what kind of tractor you would be using it on. The 3 point and pto geometry on sub compacts puts the implements closer to the rear of the tractor, and taking a bit off the length of a standard pto shaft can protect the tractor from expensive damage caused by having the shaft jamming the pto spline on the tractor when the implement is lowered. You'd want to measure it before assuming it needs to be replaced.

/ KING KUTTER II 48" 3 pt Rotary Tiller #6  
That price seems high. I was looking at 60" KK tillers locally for about $1400 NEW, the 48" should be at least $200 cheaper - NEW.

/ KING KUTTER II 48" 3 pt Rotary Tiller #7  

I think the KK II are a very good tiller. To my knowledge the gear driven units are tougher than the chain driven units. I assume the 48" is gear driven as the 60" units are. I don't know what a new pto shaft would cost, my guess would be $150-$300 depending on it if included the slip clutch or not. You can give KK a call or check Agri Supply, or even Tractor Supply among other places for a price. More than likely you could get a pto extender for a lot less.

I think $1000 is a pretty good price for one of these units especially since they are around $1400 - $1500 new.[/quoteI have a KK 48''.
Cost me $1100 Nov. 2007.So a $1000 probably isn't bad now.

/ KING KUTTER II 48" 3 pt Rotary Tiller #8  
I think thats too much. I paid $1100 for a 60" gear KK with slip clutch in 2005. It was on sale tho. He may have paid full price for his and is passing it to you of course. It is a good tiller. Its up to you, but Id resist above $900 pretty firmly unless it has slip clutch and the pto shaft is not too short.
larry

/ KING KUTTER II 48" 3 pt Rotary Tiller
Thanks for the imput guys. I have spoken to the owner of the tiller again and she says she will not negotiate or sell for less than $1,000. I have looked at it a little harder and I have decided to pass. It looks OK but the paint is starting to fade and peel since they have left it outside in the weather for 2 years. Plus I have to believe I can get a new 48" one for about $1,200 on sale if I wait and shop a little.

If I don't get a King Kutter, what brand or manufacturer should I be looking for? JD, Land Pride, Woods, Monarch, etc.? I have heard that almost all of the tillers are made overseas at the same plant. Is they true and if so why should I care what make the unit is?

Open to suggestions.

Thank you again for all the advice!