King Kutter standard vs. professional

/ King Kutter standard vs. professional #11  
Strangely, the professional model lacks the support tube oposite the gearbox on the left side....as in the KKII, and has less top fabricated structure.....likely due to heavier metal? The KKII has about 4 water "traps" (to rust and trap dirt) in the top. I just finished prepping my new KKII....just get near it with a tool and the paint "pops" off. One would think by now they would find a better way to finish their metal. :rolleyes: Can it cost that much more?

I bought my new box frame disc from a small dealer up where my land is located. He claims he orders all the KK products in red at the same price as their standard yellow. KK paints OVER their standard color for him....and he claims he offeres double the paint protection. I have not seen my disc yet....but if it's (un) "primed" like the tiller....it's gonna pop off anyway. This guy was much cheaper than TSC prices on this disc....and a nice guy too.

/ King Kutter standard vs. professional #12  
I know this thread is a year old, but I talked the KK today regarding the difference in these tillers. They said the professional is simply a version with a rounded top to shed debris and water, and that it is also quick hitch adaptable due to the 3pt frame. He stressed the 3pt frame is the biggest difference due to the many requests from people who use a quick hitch.
I asked him if the metal was heavier or a different gear box was used, and he said "Nope, just the rounded top and 3pt frame".
By looking at the pictures I can now see other differences including the rear gate and the top tube.

/ King Kutter standard vs. professional #13  
I signed up, to hopefully clear up some misinformation and confusion about the King Kutter 4' tiller and the differences. First note, as many know, this is not the 4' XB version for the sub-compact and tractors up to 25hp. This is comparing the standard vs the professional for compact tractors. I wrote to King Kutter two weeks back myself, wanting to know the differences. Contrary to what you might think, the standard is actually made of heavier gauge material, it is 10ga vs 12ga for the professional. I'm sure King Kutter won't mind me sharing the letter, although it didn't give a specific name, it came directly from them. Here is that letter explaining the difference:

"There is little in the way of differences between the two tillers. The professional or G style tiller has a rounded top to it; where as the standard tiller has a flat top. The standard is slightly heavier by about 50lbs. or so. That difference comes from the gauge steel they are made from. The professional is made of 12ga. and the regular tiller is made of 10ga. They both use the same tines, gearboxes, PTO shafts, and tillers of the same size have the same horse power requirements for use. One isn't necessarily better than the other. Both tillers are rugged and with a little bit of routine maintenance at the beginning and end of each season they will last a long while.

"With your tractor you could use either one. Both have a horse power range of 20-35 HP."

As I write this, looking at Atwoods price, there is only a $80 difference with the professional model being higher than the standard which I don't mind paying more if I thought it was better, but I think I will go with the standard due to it having heavier gauge. If you look at both, the standard isn't entirely flat on the top, it does have some angle.

Hope this helps others. Either choice, I think you'll be happy.