Kioti ck series ballast

/ Kioti ck series ballast #1  

newkiotiguy

Tractor
Kioti ck4020
Kioti's free front end loader on CKs black Friday deal was to good to pass up. We now own a ck4020. The r14 tires are being filled with rim gaurd but need more weight in the rear to use the loader to its maximum potential. Would the titan attachments ballast box filled with concrete combined with the filled tires be sufficient? I will be doing work in the woods a lot, so I want the smaller profile of a box over using another implement for ballast.

/ Kioti ck series ballast #2  
Kioti's free front end loader on CKs black Friday deal was to good to pass up. We now own a ck4020. The r14 tires are being filled with rim gaurd but need more weight in the rear to use the loader to its maximum potential. Would the titan attachments ballast box filled with concrete combined with the filled tires be sufficient? I will be doing work in the woods a lot, so I want the smaller profile of a box over using another implement for ballast.
I would go with a 6 ft box blade, over a dedicated ballast box, unless you really need the shortest/narrowest combo possible

/ Kioti ck series ballast #3  
At first I used a #1000 concrete block as counterweight. It kept the rear planted, but was too much to carry around. Putting a box blade on though at #500 plus #100 of chains etc is enough to stay balanced yet limit the loader. I use the block now as a base for my shop vise.

/ Kioti ck series ballast
I have a paved driveway, so don't think I'll get a ton of use from a box blade plus a neighbor with one I can use whenever needed. The ability to tow my splitter in the woods on the back of the ballast box seems helpful also. I don't know what it would weigh once filled. I'm assuming it would be quite a bit less than the 1,000 lb block you were using

/ Kioti ck series ballast #5  
A cubic foot of sand is approx 100 lbs, so even if you get one that holds 5 cf, you're Maybe looking at 750 lbs with the weight of the box.

A quick search found a 5.3 ft box, base weight, 132 lbs. Now, it Claims 800 lbs filled; but I get 715 lbs with a moist sand. Of coarse, there are materials heavier than sand. I think that was approx $450 for the one I found in a quick search.

Looks like a King Kutter 72" BB, is 610 lbs. The reason I pointed out a BB, I often see them for sub $300 on market place, and it's multi function, and if too light, you could always easily throw a couple hundred pounds of weight on one, with suitcase weights, rail road plate, ect.

Last edited:
   / Kioti ck series ballast
I looked on the marketplace, and the lowest price was $500 for something with no paint left on it and no rippers. Everything else was much more. Seems like people think their used equipment is made of gold. I was looking at used tractors around here and bought new for 2 thousand less after tax than people wanted for a used ck4010 and almost the same price as they are asking for used 2610s. People that paid msrp when there was no inventory aren't going to be able to recoup that money. At least I'm not going to be the one helping them

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231203_093245_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20231203_093245_Samsung Internet.jpg
    808.4 KB · Views: 56
   / Kioti ck series ballast #7  
For woods work, I find a counterweight best for maneuvering around trees. I recommend 50% to 75% of your loader capacity. Mine stays on most of the time as I am much more stable.

/ Kioti ck series ballast #8  
Seems like people think their used equipment is made of gold.

That's the truth!

I built a 2 ft cube of concrete for the 3ph that has some old brake rotors, rebar, and stuff embedded in it. Haven't weighed it, but I'm guessing around 1200 lbs. Cheap and effective, but I could have gone lighter. If I had access to a load cell, I would have chained the 3ph down with it and tried to pick up something immovable with the FEL to get an actual reading of how much I needed.

Last edited:
   / Kioti ck series ballast #9  
I have a good sized concrete ballast block. 2x2x3 or so. I used it to break the front axle housing on the Hurlimann when I got the bucket under an "immovable object" (a stump).

I'm thinking to lop off all the corners with a concrete saw blade in the skillsaw.

If I had a ballast BOX, the last thing I would put in it would be concrete. Wet sand maybe, dry sand for sure. Old brake rotors are my go to, It seems like they breed in the corners of the shop.

/ Kioti ck series ballast #10  
Saw this yesterday at work on a broom tractor. Stupid cheap, 80 gallons of water on that box blade, adds very close to 700 lbs above the static weight of the box blade.
20231211_132908.jpg

Edit: well, dang, an 80 gal poly tank isn't very cheap. Like $180.

Last edited: